Bahamas for a new pilot?

In other words, you have nothing to say about anything said in this thread. Sounds like you haven’t even read it. In fact, sounds like you’ve had one too many tonight.
Okay.,, I probably have more time in the Bahamas with the reverses deployed than you do total time.
So whats your question ?

I have hundreds of landings all over the Bahahams.

Okay.,, I probably have more time in the Bahamas with the reverses deployed than you do total time.
So whats your question ?

I have hundreds of landings all over the Bahahams.

Great that you have lots of experience flying to the Bahamas. All the more reason for you to comment on the views expressed in this thread, which you have yet to do. If you have something to say about the views expressed in this thread, let’s hear it.

Great that you have lots of experience flying to the Bahamas. All the more reason for you to comment on the views expressed in this thread, which you have yet to do. If you have something to say about the views expressed in this thread, let’s hear it.
I did have something to earlier in the thread. Apparantly it wast relevant. But yes, I do have tons of Bahamian and caribbien experience. Feel free to ask any specific questions.

I did have something to earlier in the thread. Apparantly it wast relevant. But yes, I do have tons of Bahamian and caribbien experience. Feel free to ask any specific questions.

In other words, you have made about three posts in this thread, and claim to know a lot about the subject, but have nothing to say that is substantive.

Maybe either contribute an actual view or stop wasting people’s time.

In other words, you have made about three posts in this thread, and claim to know a lot about the subject, but have nothing to say that is substantive.

Maybe either contribute an actual view or stop wasting people’s time.
What do you want to know? I have givin specific examples of experiences in the Bahamas.

I just need to bow my head and laugh.
The title asks for advice for a new pilot headed to the Bahamas. So when a 20,000 hr ATP/airline guy tries to give advice, some weenie in the net wants to give me crap.

OP...I’ll tell you anything you want to know, but keep this little twerp out of it.
Feel free to PM me

What do you want to know? I have givin specific examples of experiences in the Bahamas.

I just need to bow my head and laugh.
The title asks for advice for a new pilot headed to the Bahamas. So when a 20,000 hr ATP/airline guy tries to give advice, some weenie in the net wants to give me crap.

OP...I’ll tell you anything you want to know, but keep this little twerp out of it.
Feel free to PM me

Thanks for an education on the weight that I should give to the views of a pilot on the basis of his or her hours.

Thanks for an education on the weight that I should give to the views of a pilot on the basis of his or her hours.
It’s all about experience. I’m in this forum try and give guys advice.
They get their PPL and say “yeah!! I have my license to learne”. Then the first advice they get from a 20,000 hr ATP gets ridiculed. It’s a great forum here at POA.

It’s all about experience. I’m in this forum try and give guys advice.
They get their PPL and say “yeah!! I have my license to learne”. Then the first advice they get from a 20,000 hr ATP gets ridiculed. It’s a great forum here at POA.

Given your comments in this thread, I wouldn’t fly with you if you paid me to do so.

You keep shooting your mouth off while it’s obvious that you haven’t read this thread and know nothing about the issues that have been discussed.

Given your comments in this thread, I wouldn’t fly with you if you paid me to do so.

You keep shooting your mouth off while it’s obvious that you haven’t read this thread and know nothing about the issues that have been discussed.
Well, seeing as though I fly for the airlines you will never know.
You may pay ME to fly you.
But that’s what I expect from a private pilot.
Most have no clue what it takes to fly for a major airline.

Man, you keep making it clear that you have not read this thread and don’t know about the issues that have been discussed.

Frankly, I hope that you are never the captain of a commercial flight that I take. You have established in this discussion a complete inability to understand the discussion and its context.

At this point, the question is whether you are thick or just drunk.

Last edited:
Man, you keep making it clear that you have not read this thread and don’t know about the issues that have been discussed.

Frankly, I hope that you are never the captain of a commercial flight that I take. You have established in this discussion a complete inability to understand the discussion and its context.

Again, what’s your specific question. Perhaps I can help.

That’s just not nice. You want advice, and I’m willing to give you some of the best there is.
Now I’m about done with being nice.

Drunk or thick?? Nice way to address someone trying to help you.

@Kritchlow you’ll like the pilot trolling the snowflake...

6719eba5cd1c60c082b66a1faf3d8b72.jpg

In other words, you have nothing to say about anything said in this thread. Sounds like you haven’t even read it. In fact, sounds like you’ve had one too many tonight.
Wait.... read that post.
“Pants to preserver” is not a joke. It can save your life!! (as can shirt)

Having spent a good deal of time sailing in the Caribbean, let me suggest that you become completely familiar with what's involved, gear and process, in ditching and getting rescued. I say that regardless of whether you fly over water around the Keys or in the Caribbean. My sense is that most pilots don't have a clue about this. Talk to experienced ocean sailors. After all, it's one of them who will be (hopefully) talking with you in advance, and then picking you up, if you ditch. And for what it's worth, I would personally never venture over the ocean in a plane without wearing an inflatable life vest in the cockpit.

If you go to the Bahamas, it may be necessary for the plane to have an HF radio. Worth asking about. You will definitely need a marine VHF radio, a handheld one at the very least, and know how to use it.

No HF requirement, why a Marine radio it's not a boat. It's only 50 miles of ocean and there's a steady stream of boats going back and forth. Life vests and maybe a raft a must.

I used to live on St Croix USVI with my C-182 and if I didn't fly over water I didn't fly. It kills me that people who routinely fly over forests, mountains, heavily populated areas with no good place to land off airport get bent out of shape about over water flying. I would much rather crash in the water than crash into a forest. Just remember if you have to send a mayday to say you're worried about your load of drugs getting wet. The Coast Guard will be there instantly as they are more concerned about drug smuggling than search and rescue these days.

No HF requirement, why a Marine radio it's not a boat. It's only 50 miles of ocean and there's a steady stream of boats going back and forth. Life vests and maybe a raft a must.
No HF radio needed depending... and at times two are needed.

No HF radio needed depending... and at times two are needed.
Been to the Bahamas in my plane. No HF requirement. In fact the only aircraft that carry them are ones that exceed the range of VHF ie. airliners bizjets and maybe military crossing the ocean. Bimini is only 50 miles from Florida. That's only 25 miles approximately from land. Where is the HF requirement you think exists?

Been to the Bahamas in my plane. No HF requirement. In fact the only aircraft that carry them are ones that exceed the range of VHF ie. airliners bizjets and maybe military crossing the ocean. Bimini is only 50 miles from Florida. That's only 25 miles approximately from land. Where is the HF requirement you think exists?
I agree in your situation you were fine.
But there are other situations that are different.

What does that even mean? Specify.
Okay... part 135/121 HF radios ars required, and two are required during certain over water ops.

Part 91 Florida to Bahamas you should have no issues.

Okay... part 135/121 HF radios ars required, and two are required during certain over water ops.

Probably one of the reasons that slimy company that advertises everywhere can stick a Yeasu FT-857 in a Pelican case (poorly and sloppily I might add) and charge thousands for the stupid thing.

You are fine in the island chain all the way from Florida to Trinidad using VHF.

Wtf.... are you concerned about “what if”
Or more about the mission itself?

If you’re concerned about the sharks, take a class.

If you you want to learn about aviation stuff and how to do it, ask here.
Some of us have experience and can head you in the right direction.

Wow - this thread blew up overnight :D

As the OP, let me say that when I started this thread, my thinking was all about the flying and the procedures around it (customs etc.) That said I have learned some valuable pointers about staying safe should anything go wrong, and I'm grateful for that. Having been a diver for years, I'm quite comfortable in the water, and I've had enough "rough" experiences to be very respectful of the ocean. But my plan is to stay above it! :)

What island? The Bahamas can be straight forward, or an international nightmare.
It all depends on which island, proper planning, and airport.

Went to an island and the parking area held three airplanes. It was full. Park on the runway or leave with no customs services. Neither is a good choice.

Our idea is to explore as much as possible, over time. My wife is especially excited to visit Staniel Cay, but I'm game for all of it. I'm an island guy.

Question - you mention leaving with no customs services. What would the result of that be? I know I need to enter the Bahamas at a port of entry, and then get a commuter permit. But from there, if I land on some tiny island and find no parking, what happens if I just take off again?

Thanks!

-se

Wow - this thread blew up overnight :D

As the OP, let me say that when I started this thread, my thinking was all about the flying and the procedures around it (customs etc.) That said I have learned some valuable pointers about staying safe should anything go wrong, and I'm grateful for that. Having been a diver for years, I'm quite comfortable in the water, and I've had enough "rough" experiences to be very respectful of the ocean. But my plan is to stay above it! :)

Our idea is to explore as much as possible, over time. My wife is especially excited to visit Staniel Cay, but I'm game for all of it. I'm an island guy.

Question - you mention leaving with no customs services. What would the result of that be? I know I need to enter the Bahamas at a port of entry, and then get a commuter permit. But from there, if I land on some tiny island and find no parking, what happens if I just take off again?

Thanks!

-se
Generally speaking, customs/immigration services are only required when arriving and departing a country. Domestic flights within the country only encounter local administrative and commercial fees (if any). It can get “interesting” when the locals at a domestic airport want a cut. Maybe they don’t make up rules but they might be willing to use their own interpretation.

Note that that PLB will not give you your GPS position, although there's one now that will, albeit much bulkier.

??? My PLB, 6 or 7 years old now (I have needed to re-registered it twice now) incorporates a GPS. I think that is pretty common. So check the unit you have/are thinking of buying/renting. -Skip

??? My PLB, 6 or 7 years old now (I have needed to re-registered it twice now) incorporates a GPS. I think that is pretty common. So check the unit you have/are thinking of buying/renting. -Skip

A PLB will obviously broadcast your GPS position (that is the whole point of a PLB), but not typically give it to you. This is about bulk and waterproofing. That is why a PLB that has a screen that you can read your GPS position from is larger and heavier.

I am not talking about Spot and inReach, which are not Personal Locator Beacons.

Compare the size and weight of ACR PLBs that will only transmit your position and their fairly new one that has a screen from which you can read your position.

Last edited:

135, got a reference for that? I can't find anything in the regs.

Back