Votes: 31 20.5%
  • 90's

Votes: 28 18.5%
  • 00's? is that a thing?

Votes: 21 13.9%
  • 10's.

Votes: 8 5.3%

• Total voters
I started Johns Hopkins in 1977. I can now say I attended a Big Ten school (Hopkins is in at least for Lacrosse). Of course, I have one summer course at the University of Maryland, so I'm double covered. I also have one graduate level course in synthetic aperature radar imagery at the University of New Brunswick (Canada, not NJ). In fact as a Rutgers administrator, I wished I had a University of New Brunswick shirt when visiting the Newark campus.

I’ve graduated in each century I’ve lived in.

I took 13 years part time. We probably both win. Took longer, no student debt.

Yes, pay as I went, no student loans to pay off was a bonus.

But my plan was I could not stand sitting in class or studying.

Army footed the bill for my college. Undergraduate degree anyway.

Yes, pay as I went, no student loans to pay off was a bonus.

But my plan was I could not stand sitting in class or studying.
Sitting in class attempting to listen to some blowhard who enjoys the sound of their own voice so much that they use ten words when one would suffice...

Started in 2016. 3 semesters in (plus a summer session) and still chugging along lol.

Started 1994 with the first Master’s degree, 2011 with the second. :) Finished both... :D

Sitting in class attempting to listen to some blowhard who enjoys the sound of their own voice so much that they use ten words when one would suffice...
Oh my God yes yes yes yes yes. This past semester I had a professor that said "right" after every sentence, and talked to us like we were in grad school at Harvard. Made me want to bang my head against the wall for the whole class.

Started Here in 2000:
UGA.jpg

Finished here in 2004:
ERAU.gif

Sized appropriately....Go DAWGS!!

Does it matter for this poll if you didn’t finish?

The money was good, what can I say?

Can't take your poll. Not enough options.
I started college in 1967. (Double major, English and History)
Went back to college again in 1975. (Double major, Math and Physics)
Went back again in 1999. (Theology)
I was actually thinking of matriculating again in the fall. Since I'm retired and don't need a job I want to take something totally useless.
What's a really useless college degree?

Started undergrad in 79. Finished in 84 and went on Active Duty in the Army. Did my Masters part time at Bragg and finished it in 89.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Since I'm retired and don't need a job I want to take something totally useless.

English and History. :)

A friend’s son wanted to major in ancient Mayan architecture. His dad changed his mind with a $eriou$ di$cu$$ion. Would come in real handy if an ancient Mayan comes along wanting a new temple or something designed...

I started earning some college credit in high school (AP), then entered college in '79 and enrolled in a 3/2 dual degree program. Three years at Samford U followed by two years at Ga Tech got me a BS in math / computer science from SU and a BEE from GT. A few years later I enrolled in grad school at the University of Central Florida and in '89 I finished up with an MSEE (concentration in electo-optics) and the cutest little 4'11" brunette you ever saw.

I've also completed a non-degree management program through Carnegie Mellon and an accelerated finance program with SMU, both offered through my employer.

Like Shep, I've thought about going back to school after I retire in a couple of years. Whenever that feeling comes over me, though, I just lie down until it goes away.

Distributed Studies. It's a degree in open option. You take enough credits for a degree, but not enough classes in a single subject for a degree IN something.

I did a semester while in my early thirties that was nothing more than a review of stuff I learned in high school. I had a 4 point GPA and was later told by a PHD she thought I was very articulate. At that point I thought community colleges were a farce and their objective was simply to get your money. I have survived well without their needless garbage.

Dumb and hopelessly uninformed and hope to stay that way. I can get the usual BS just by reading the news that is posted on line.

I did a semester while in my early thirties that was nothing more than a review of stuff I learned in high school. I had a 4 point GPA and was later told by a PHD she thought I was very articulate. At that point I thought community colleges were a farce and their objective was simply to get your money. I have survived well without their needless garbage.

Dumb and hopelessly uninformed and hope to stay that way. I can get the usual BS just by reading the news that is posted on line.

Community colleges today are the frugal way to not get ripped off for the first two years of pre-requisites in academics. Then transfer the credits to the expensive school to finish up. LOL. Usually about half the price per credit hour for stuff like Calculus, which any math department can teach.

Community colleges today are the frugal way to not get ripped off for the first two years of pre-requisites in academics. Then transfer the credits to the expensive school to finish up. LOL. Usually about half the price per credit hour for stuff like Calculus, which any math department can teach.

Here in Florida there's been a push to offer more and more 4-year degrees through the community colleges, and they're changing from "community" college to "state" college. They offer quite a bargain, as they provide academics without on-campus housing, football teams, graduate programs, research faculty, and all the other claptrap. Naturally Florida's major universities are opposed, as it will cut into their business a little bit. Nevertheless, a few years ago the governor set a goal to establish a structure wherein a student could get a 4-year degree in a career field for under $10k. We're not there yet, but there's been progress.

Polk State College is one example. Until a few years ago it was "Polk Community College" and then it began offering a few BS degrees. They introduced an aerospace program recently which includes a BS degree or several AS degrees.
https://www.polk.edu/aerospace/

Son of Half Fast receiving his AA at Polk State last year:

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-21_21-49-36.png
    upload_2017-12-21_21-49-36.png
    714.5 KB · Views: 22
I've been debating whether I need to buy an MBA or not. On one hand it looks good (or so I've heard) to potential investors. On the other hand I ask myself... do I really need any investors... and why would an MBA impress them? :dunno:

Started at Georgia Tech in the Fall of '82, finished Spring '87 with a BS in Industrial Engineering. Started my MBA in '90 at Kennesaw State University and finished in '92. The Masters degree was a piece of cake compared to the BSIE. I guarantee I had 20 undergraduate courses that were more difficult than any of the courses in the MBA.

...What's a really useless college degree?

Apparently the one I just paid for both of my twins - psychology. One is going into real estate, the other a flight attendant.

I started college in the 80's, finished in 2005 with another useless degree - Human Resource Management.

Demographic poll. Inspired by a story in another thread.
Started the environmental science program in 2012, eventually wanting to work as an environmental engineer. Really interesting stuff, but my first-ever ramp job at an airport made me a convert. I left the program and began AMT studies in 2015 but dropped that due to financial and schedule constraints.

As of late 2015, I had only been working in the industry without any idea how to move up. I recently was promoted to a position which allows me to work two weeks on/off. This schedule made me realize that I could now attain a long-time dream of taking to the skies, a decision I made just last Sunday.

I have elected not to take the college route for pilot licensing and ratings to avoid unnecessary overhead costs. Several posts I've read state you can get solid employment with a developed skill set. Having said that, I do plan to complete an A&P program through a college in the future so I can fly and fix, as I'm told it's quite the dynamic combination.

Started Here in 2000:
View attachment 58676

Finished here in 2004:
View attachment 58677

Sized appropriately....Go DAWGS!!
Cool -- which campus? Had a cousin graduate from Tampa round 2010(?). He's enjoyed several challenging jobs from Boeing, to Northrop Grumman and eventually Lockheed Martin. He spoke quite highly of ERAU Tampa.

Last edited:
Two years at a technical institution for me, GI Bill, paid

My brother has two Bachelor's and a Master's from MIT and a Master's from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces, all 100% paid for by the US Air Force.

Last edited:
As of late 2015, I had only been working in the industry without any idea how to move up. I recently was promoted to a position which allows me to work two weeks on/off.

Just curious where you're at, and whether that schedule applies to pilots.

Started at Georgia Tech in the Fall of '82, finished Spring '87 with a BS in Industrial Engineering. Started my MBA in '90 at Kennesaw State University and finished in '92. The Masters degree was a piece of cake compared to the BSIE. I guarantee I had 20 undergraduate courses that were more difficult than any of the courses in the MBA.

No surprise. Even my MSEE (UCF) seemed easy after GT. Tech is a very challenging school.

A buddy’s son is a HS senior looking at colleges, and two he is considering are GT and MIT. I told my friend, “MIT is much harder to get into; GT is much harder to get out of.”

If you look at the stats, you’ll see that’s true. GT has a much lower 4 year graduation rate, with the majority of students needing 5 years or so.

It really does make a difference. I failed miserably at my first attempt at Calculus 1. The professor was a jerk who thought it was a good idea to have students show each other how to solve problems instead of him, you know, teaching. He also assumed we had already taken Calculus in high school and that the class was a "refresher", which was not the case with me.

Thought I was done with math until a friend convinced me to take it with the professor he had taken it with. Got an A. Got all A's and B's on every math since. Even got the highest grade in my class in differential equations.

I had a similar trajectory only it was high school algebra I failed. It was the first class of the morning in an extremely hot basement room (the old radiator heat) and I'm not a morning person to start with. I could not focus at all. Actually I only failed one semester, I managed to squeak by for the year with a D. I managed to catch up and in subsequent algebra, geometry and calculus did great. In college I loved advanced calculus and diff e.q., those were my favorite classes.

Self-financed U of Florida in '76, U of MD MBA in '89, when the employer paid the tab.

I started college in the 80's, finished in 2005 with another useless degree - Human Resource Management.

Depends Tim. My daughter has a HR degree and a good job pulling in 6 figures, and finished her MBA this past year.

That's been a growth industry during my working lifetime. Seems the bloody HR Departments are the most powerful in most companies I've worked for as an employee. That's where all the rules came from, and when it's time for layoffs they do 'em...but not to themselves.

Back