Nextdoor.com - Quite entertaining

Yeah, our neighborhood is up in arms on nextdoor wanting to convert to a gated community. We've had a rash of break-ins and a drive by shooting in the last month. The funny thing, is the police reported the drive by as vandalism. We live in a good part of vegas, but the sierra hotel india tango head presence makes its way in.

I'm close to firing up my HF ham rig again. Wonder how long before Nextdoor lights up with complaints of garbled voice emanating from baby monitors....

I'm close to firing up my HF ham rig again. Wonder how long before Nextdoor lights up with complaints of garbled voice emanating from baby monitors....

Put on your best satanic voice. LOL.

Actually the baby monitors these days are usually DECT or similar. They’re not the problem. The living room cheap “surround sound” systems are. And PC speakers. No RF bypass caps.

You going to do some HF digital? FT8 seems pretty “hot” these days.

Yeah, our neighborhood is up in arms on nextdoor wanting to convert to a gated community. We've had a rash of break-ins and a drive by shooting in the last month. The funny thing, is the police reported the drive by as vandalism. We live in a good part of vegas, but the sierra hotel india tango head presence makes its way in.

I lived in Summerlin in a non-gated part of Peccole Ranch. I never had any trouble getting through the gates of the other neighborhoods without calling the people I was going to see. I don't think gates change much.

If they are serious, they need to pony up for a guard. That will keep people out!

I lived in Summerlin in a non-gated part of Peccole Ranch. I never had any trouble getting through the gates of the other neighborhoods without calling the people I was going to see. I don't think gates change much.

If they are serious, they need to pony up for a guard. That will keep people out!
hahahah we've got roving security patrols here.. I formerly lived in Rhodes Ranch (guard gated golf community), and we had a ton of burglaries there. Sadly, the only way to stop criminals is to permanently stop them when they're in the act.

@sferguson524 -- I'll have to see if I can rediscover some of my antics being "the grumpy old man" calling the patrol on the youngsters when I lived there. Took about 2 months of having them chased out every Fri and Sat night... plus reprogramming the sprinklers in the beltway to come on for 5 minutes every half hour from 8PM - 1AM. But they got the message and went elsewhere to do the same stuffs that I, admittedly, did when I was their age.

Saw another gem today. One of the crazy ladies posted a rant that she offended someone with a double post and one of them was removed (cleaned up).
If you are such a pu**y that you get offended by offending people on them Interwebs, you have no place on ND. Now FecesBook, OTOH, would gladly accept you! :D

I really wonder how much longer I can stay on that page. It is really approaching FB quality quickly.

I actually saw something productive, useful and positive come out of ND recently. There have been a rash of complaints of nighttime noise from a manufacturing plant near our neighborhood (about 1.5 miles from me, so I don't hear it) and my curmudgeon self grumbles "it was here before you were, yuppie!" but someone contacted the plant manager, and they took it seriously enough to investigate. They've kept the neighborhood apprised of the progress, including coordinating with one of the snowflakes ... uh, neighbors to set up sound monitoring equipment in her back yard. Turns out that they isolated the noise to a piece of equipment that has been in service for many years, but apparently recently started generating different noises - mostly low frequency. The plant contacted the manufacturer of said equipment, who is analyzing the recordings to assist in assessing the equipment and mitigating the noise.

So, yeah ... it works ... sometimes.

dot.gif

Actually the baby monitors these days are usually DECT or similar. They’re not the problem. The living room cheap “surround sound” systems are. And PC speakers. No RF bypass caps.

Doesn't much matter what I get into....

We'll see. Maybe I'll have to rebuild the prions to once again read morse code. ;) (I once had to read 25 WPM for a work requirement, but that was 30 years ago...)

The only positive is that the VSWR is pretty close to 1:1 on 40, 20, and 10, and under 2 on 15 and 12. Not bad for a fan-type dipole with elements on 40/20/10.

I'll look at FT8, probably with a sound-card package. I've got an old KAM on a shelf downstairs, that won't do much for me these days. Seem to be spending more time programming the DMR radio than talking to anyone on any band.... made harder by the fact that DMR repeater info doesn't seem to be well publicized.

Ah, yes, cheap amplified speakers. I had an EMC problem with a pair of those decades ago. My daughter was having a Halloween party at our house and had a pair of those up where you couldn't see them outside on the patio. They would respond to the turn on and turn off transients of my 2 meter rig when running packet radio. So, I was out in the shack "talking" with someone on packet. There were a couple girls out on the patio and they heard "thump thump...thump thump" from the dark overhead. Sounded like a heart beat. They freaked out and ran into the house. My daughter just cracked up, she had heard this before and knew exactly what was causing the sound. Best Halloween prank, and it wasn't even planned. :p

Seem to be spending more time programming the DMR radio than talking to anyone on any band.... made harder by the fact that DMR repeater info doesn't seem to be well publicized.

Getting my rig right for a hotspot with dynamic Talkgroups (Brandmeister) has been entertaining.

And I found a bug in Connect Systems implementation of front panel programming of Talkgroups today which makes it very difficult to use.

Which... is probably why they pulled front panel programming out of their newest firmware version. Sigh. I kinda need/want that.

The new Anytone dual-bander looks nice. Amazingly cheap too. I may pick one of those up. But I need another HT like I need a hole in the head.

What I really need is for the manufacturers to get on with releasing a mobile that’s dual band. I don’t like the CS800D after reading about it. But I want a true dual band that does analog and DMR.

I stopped using Nextdoor when I posted a link to a kid driving way to fast through the neighborhood and the mom called my “employer” (school I coach at) trying to get me “fired”.... some strange people out there and Nextdoor hosts them all in your hood

Which is even more reason to post crazy crap like, "Anyone love Coast to Coast AM"? LOL... or any other random s*** to screw the stupid data miners.

Actually, Coast to Coast AM was good for a laugh or two. Once in a while there was something useful, like SETI@Home out of UC Berkeley. I've been wasting electricity on that for over 18 years now. Haven't found any little green men yet, though. :p

I stopped using Nextdoor when I posted a link to a kid driving way to fast through the neighborhood and the mom called my “employer” (school I coach at) trying to get me “fired”.... some strange people out there and Nextdoor hosts them all in your hood

Haha. I had that happen once. Some psycho online didn’t like that I told him a Linux project I helped out with generally wasn’t interested in making the changes he wanted in the code, but he was more than welcome to submit patches and the usual volunteers would review them.

He lost his mind and even created a website dedicated just to me of all the answers on the mailing list that is ever given to anyone that he didn’t like. ROFLMAO.

Note: This was a volunteer group, volunteer project, and nobody owed anybody anything. Like most hobby projects.

He then tried to call my boss after looking up where I worked and all that crap. Even better, this wacko lived in the UK.

Two things came out of it. I emailed the boss chain of command and let them all know psycho boy was coming, and sent them some evidence of his instability he’d posted... the outcome of that one in a second...

And the other was I started getting private emails from people all over the globe saying, “Here’s some links to just how completely crazy that idiot is... he did this stuff to another three or four projects dating all the way back to the FIDO BBS day’s (holy crap!)... have fun reading this stuff.

Meanwhile the CEO saw the message I sent and replied, “Have somebody who’s tried to do that to me also, don’t worry about it.”

So that was my fun with a particular Brit who apparently moved on to a new “target” of his continual ire, not long after. We never got any patches from him either. Go figure. :)

Actually, Coast to Coast AM was good for a laugh or two. Once in a while there was something useful, like SETI@Home out of UC Berkeley. I've been wasting electricity on that for over 18 years now. Haven't found any little green men yet, though. :p

Was way better with Art Bell. I think I told the story here long ago about Art calling my house.

Not that exciting but it was funny to get home from a trip and the phone rings and Art is on the other end of the line asking, “Do you know who I am?”

Actually yes, I do. Enjoy your show, Art. What’s up?

It was a boring story about some ham radio jamming and the jammer was “borrowing” callsigns and decided to pick on Art on his low-band group. Not the smartest of ideas considering Art knew plenty of folks at FCC. Last I heard, FCC had tracked the signal to a neighborhood about 60 miles from my home and were actively pursuing whoever was doing it.

I didn’t even have an antenna up for any frequency on the low end of HF at that time, nor would anything I owned for transmitters have been able to bother Art and his buddies all running ex-commercial broadcast amplifiers.

Anyway like I said, boring. But probably the only phone call I’ve ever gotten from Parumph, NV. :)

... probably the only phone call I’ve ever gotten from Parumph, NV. :)

Join me for a trip to Front Sight and you’ll soon be the recipient of more phone calls and emails from Pahrump, NV than you would ever think possible! In spite of their persistent marketing tactics (hey! I’m ALREADY a MEMBER! Stop already!), trips to Front Sight are the most fun you’ll have with your clothes on!

Getting my rig right for a hotspot with dynamic Talkgroups (Brandmeister) has been entertaining.

The new Anytone dual-bander looks nice. Amazingly cheap too. I may pick one of those up. But I need another HT like I need a hole in the head.

What I really need is for the manufacturers to get on with releasing a mobile that’s dual band. I don’t like the CS800D after reading about it. But I want a true dual band that does analog and DMR.
I've got the 800D. So far, I like it, but it's a DMR radio first, then analog. Meaning, it's really got to be pre-programmed. There have been a couple of bugs (rebooted a couple of times on an analog channel after programming, but fully pulling power - as in 'remove power supply leads from supply' seemed to resolve that). VHF sensitivity is good, at least as good on analog as my old Yaesu.

It can be programmed from panel (er, microphone) but it's a real pain int the rear. The CPS works fine. Audio gains have taken a bit of work to get right - I'm soft-spoken and needed to run it up a bit, and had to increase the dmr receive gain to match analog. Very good reports on the audio.

RF seems fine, I can hit a DMR machine about 60 miles from here with a RSSI of -90 to -99 (the last heard listings online with RSSI are valuable), but have another machine about half the distance that works much better with different talk groups. The machine at Linden (60 miles) will occasionally drop out on receive (seems like high BER), the closer one is rock solid. Could also be that the Linden machine needed updates to the C-bridge software. In analog, it's been great and solid (and even better since I modified the Diamond roof antenna with longer decoupling elements - that reduced RF on the feed line and added probably 6 dB to the signal based on RX meter readings (on the truck, my old Larsen antenna runs circles around the new junk from Asia).

I use Contact Manager to transfer plug info between the 800D and an MD380. I've built a 'core' plug that's local UHF and have separate plug template that I import through Contact Manager to build the VHF side and any areas where I travel. But it is a pain in the *** because there is no good resource.

I've heard good things about the Anytone, too, but I need a mobile, not another HT.

So, fundamentally I'm happy with the 800D, but like any DMR rig it won't be as convenient for travel as older analog stuff.

It was a boring story about some ham radio jamming and the jammer was “borrowing” callsigns and decided to pick on Art on his low-band group. Not the smartest of ideas considering Art knew plenty of folks at FCC. Last I heard, FCC had tracked the signal to a neighborhood about 60 miles from my home and were actively pursuing whoever was doing it.

I didn’t even have an antenna up for any frequency on the low end of HF at that time, nor would anything I owned for transmitters have been able to bother Art and his buddies all running ex-commercial broadcast amplifiers.

Anyway like I said, boring. But probably the only phone call I’ve ever gotten from Parumph, NV. :)
Especially stupid these days since the network engineer that worked closely with Art is now one of the FCC enforcement folks.

So, fundamentally I'm happy with the 800D, but like any DMR rig it won't be as convenient for travel as older analog stuff.

Cool.

I saw those idiots on FB arguing over your note about it being difficult to find details for DMR systems when traveling.

Beware of all those strangers with bad codeplugs!!! ROFLMAO.

Cool.

I saw those idiots on FB arguing over your note about it being difficult to find details for DMR systems when traveling.

Beware of all those strangers with bad codeplugs!!! ROFLMAO.
Yeah, just what I want to do - contact every fricking repeater owner between here and NY and here and Indiana to find out talkgroups. Never did it with analog, there ought to be a way to not do it with DMR. Of course, one of them seems to have batwings tattooed to his rear.

I love trolling people on Nextdoor. I just can’t help myself. I live in a relatively dense neighborhood in Raleigh. Some hippies decided this is a good place to keep a few free range chickens. (its not)

Hippies “OMG, someone’s dog came on to my yard and is chasing my chickens! Everyone beware there is a black dog on the loose in the neighborhood!!!”

Me: “ wow thank you for telling me! I will make sure to put my chickens in the house until the coast is clear”

Last edited:
I love trolling people on Nextdoor. I just can’t help myself.

I live in a relatively dense neighborhood in Raleigh. Some hippies decided this is a good place to keep a few free range chickens.

Hippies “OMG, someone’s dog came on to my yard and is chasing my chickens! Everyone beware there is a black dog on the loose in the neighborhood!!!”

Me: “ wow thank you for telling me! I will make sure to put my chickens in the house until the coast is clear”

But are they in free range area.? Here where I live I have to fence my yard to keep animals off my property. In town it is required to fence a yard to keep animals in.

And free range chickens..... do they have a yearly roundup..??

I love trolling people on Nextdoor. I just can’t help myself.

I may or may not have trolled some folks there as well. I’ll probably meet them someday and they’ll already know I’m an ass, which will save them time.

I was sooooo tempted to ask during the “Great Coyote Warning of Thursday” if someone could get the coyote’s business card, and if his name was Wyle E., to let me know, because he’s in arrears in payments to my company, Acme.

Then see who got it. Probably not many.

So I joked instead, that said coyote, was out getting fast food for lunch. Rabbit. I should have said chihuahua.

Someone posted that they need a Queen sized bed frame today. We have one we aren’t using that he can have, so I told him to call. It’s not all bad.

Oh that was cool. Guy who showed up to take the bed frame and headboard we weren’t using, used to work with my airplane co-owner’s wife. Such a damned small world.

Oh that was cool. Guy who showed up to take the bed frame and headboard we weren’t using, used to work with my airplane co-owner’s wife. Such a damned small world.
Very cool ... this probably could or should have its own thread, but in the small world department, a friend of mine is a realtor, owns a rental in Castle Rock. Starts telling me about his tenant applicant, who sounds quite eccentric. Lists a reference from Texas that my friend starts describing by job title, who I knew immediately, because I worked with her at a company in Boulder. (and coincidentally is known by a few other folks here, as well. ... Murphy, maybe Nate ...)

I love trolling people on Nextdoor. I just can’t help myself...
Careful. NextDoor, just like Fecesbook, is full of ignorant dumbazzes and they don't usually appreciate others making fun of them. (if they are smart enough to figure it out to begin with)
You have no idea how many whiny complains I see on a daily basis, mostly those who decided to find offense in someone else's words. Remind me again why I volunteered to be a moderator for dumb people on them Ynterwebs? *shrug*

Careful. NextDoor, just like Fecesbook, is full of ignorant dumbazzes and they don't usually appreciate others making fun of them. (if they are smart enough to figure it out to begin with)
You have no idea how many whiny complains I see on a daily basis, mostly those who decided to find offense in someone else's words. Remind me again why I volunteered to be a moderator for dumb people on them Ynterwebs? *shrug*

I don't have anything to worry about.

Remember that many of these are the same people that support HOAs.... :O

Remember that many of these are the same people that support HOAs.... :O

LOL. Around my ‘hood they don’t support HOA, they don’t support the County, they don’t support nothin’.

I found it hilarious that I was the person who did the math and said voting for paving a road was a complete wash between that and vehicle maintenance so I DGAF. That put me in the “supporter of taxes” category for some. LOL.

Math is hard. Math is really hard on NextDoor. :)

So here I am, the guy who makes fun of people who claim without ridiculous taxation that the world wouldn’t ever have had roads...

... arguing with the doofuses who thought the road paving was too expensive and government was coming to eat their babies or something.

It was pretty hilarious. I kept telling Karen after I’d get off the app, “I’m pretty sure I’m a communist now. Can we buy a nice Dacha somewhere?” Haha.

If I was trollin’, I would have posted this. :)

408f0405251d29d730c00418ada670cc.jpg

Today’s “fun”. Lady says they smell propane in their garage. Wants to know if anyone knows how to deal with it.

Sigh. Don’t touch the garage door openers, don’t throw any light switches, get everyone out of the house and turn the tank off at the tank for effffffffs sake.

If you’re at all unsure about it just dial 911 and let the boys with turnouts and explosive gas meters check it out. They can air out the garage by pulling the emergency release handles on the garage door openers and know not to walk through the beams at the door entrance and turn on the hot bulbs in the openers that are hooked to an unsealed relay. They’ll probably unplug the openers before they lift the doors to air it out.

Seriously people. Posting to NextDoor for a gas leak?! Come on. Just go sit in the car and call the pros. For effffs sake.

Sounds a lot like your “Big Red Button” story you told me on Monday @Clark1961.

I’ll update the thread if I hear any loud explosions from across the hill in the ‘hood in the next 30 minutes or so.

Today’s “fun”. Lady says they smell propane in their garage. Wants to know if anyone knows how to deal with it.

Sigh. Don’t touch the garage door openers, don’t throw any light switches, get everyone out of the house and turn the tank off at the tank for effffffffs sake.

If you’re at all unsure about it just dial 911 and let the boys with turnouts and explosive gas meters check it out. They can air out the garage by pulling the emergency release handles on the garage door openers and know not to walk through the beams at the door entrance and turn on the hot bulbs in the openers that are hooked to an unsealed relay. They’ll probably unplug the openers before they lift the doors to air it out.

Seriously people. Posting to NextDoor for a gas leak?! Come on. Just go sit in the car and call the pros. For effffs sake.

Call Hank Hill for your propane and propane accessories....

If she had to ask then maybe she should just let her house blow up. Just sayin’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If she had to ask then maybe she should just let her house blow up. Just sayin’

I’ve already joked with two people I’ve talked about this with elsewhere that society may have bypassed Darwin a little too much.

But honestly I just don’t want my homeowners insurance going up. LOL.

Several years ago a friend of mine came home from work to find a definite line about three feet off the floor. Turns out he had a gas leak and it had filled every part of the house up with gas above the three foot line.

He was smart enough to not turn on the light or use the phone (long before cell phones) and to turn off the gas valve and then called the gas company. They found and fixed the leak and then admonished him for turning off the gas valve. Then put electric fans in the house to dissipate the gas.....

His thought, wouldn't a spark from the fans cause an explosion..???

Edit: Natural gas

Last edited:
I'm not sure why they admonished him for turning off the valve. That is indeed what it is there for. Now if he'd turned it back on, once it was off. I suspect the fans were not so much to dissipate the gas, but to get rid of the mercaptan stink. That stuff will smell up the place (by design) in far lesser concentrations than a burnable, let alone explodable, gas level. Anyhow, I suspect the gas company (as we had in the fireservice) had explosion proof fans (motors sealed up to prevent spark hazards).

Note you need to understand if you're talking about natural gas or propane. Natural gas rises. Propane sinks.

We've got a few guys who like to troll our NextDoor. We live about 30 miles up the road from the McGuire nuke plant. There was a minor fire in a transformer on the distribution side (nowhere near the reactors) and people were out on NextDoor looking for geiger counters.

Our latest fun and games was a posting from our local sheriff's office warning people not to set the "HOME" address in their car GPS to their actual home address as this might give the thief an idea of where to hit next. Of course, the fact that my insurance and registration cards are also likely in the car with that information escapes them. I suggested that maybe I should enter the street address of the sheriff's office as my HOME in the GPS. The sheriff thought that the prospect of someone showing up to rob them in a stolen car would be amusing.

Ha! Had a tenant call for a gas smell in a 4 unit rental I used to own. 4 gas furnaces in the basement with lots of 1950's black iron piping. For personal liability purposes I called out an HVAC guy, thinking he'd use a sniffer to find any leak(s) while I was at work.

I was pizzed when my wife told me that he didn't have a meter, and that I paid Bubba to walk around the basement holding a lighter to every pipe joint...

Note you need to understand if you're talking about natural gas or propane. Natural gas rises. Propane sinks.

Natural gas. Yep, propane would have settled and then the pilot light from the water heater would have made things a little fun. The leak came from one of the wall heaters. Old house built in the mid 40s, no furnace. Just individual wall heaters in each room.

I was pizzed when my wife told me that he didn't have a meter, and that I paid Bubba to walk around the basement holding a lighter to every pipe joint...

Several years ago when I was a mechanic, one of our customers brought us a 250 gallon propane tank. he wanted us to cut it open so he could make a grill/smoker out of it. We had a plasma cutter that would do a nice, neat cut.

First thing we did was fill the tank with water. That drove the smell out. Within minutes people were coming out of their houses looking for the source of the smell. A little while later the gas company was driving the neighbor hood with their sniffer truck. The fire department came out with a couple trucks..... just in case....

Fun on a Saturday morning..!! :lol:

Back