A Company I've Always Admired, Chick-fil-a.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And on the seventh day, the faithful ate cows?
No, still no beef on Sunday.

Actually, if you are in Georgia and go to Truett’s Grill, you can have beef Monday through Saturday.

It’s essentially the Chick-Fil-A menu, plus burgers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The thing I never understood about Chick-fil-A was that S Truett Cathy actually owed a cattle ranch.

How much did he owe them? In all seriousness, I don't know that there's much to not understand. Unless you think his businesses should have been vertically integrated, they were independent businesses which competed in slightly different markets.

Good for them. I've honestly never been a huge fan of their chicken, but every time I've been to one of their stores, the service is great and they are always very friendly. I respect them for being closed on Sundays when they could probably make whole bunch more money doing so. Great to see them helping out when there is an opportunity to serve a community.

I love me a spicy chicken sandwich. Their waffle fries are pretty good as well. I've also had their chicken-mini breakfast bites catered in at work a few times, which are decent as far as that sort of stuff goes.

I'm old enough to remember the blue law we had in town when I was a kid. Almost no one was open on Sundays.
Atlanta is still steeped in blue laws. I was on layover at ATL on my way down to SunNFun a few years ago. I popped into the bar next to my gate for a burger and a beer. They said I could have the burger, but I'd have to wait 20 minutes for the beer as the liquor laws banned sales before noon on Sunday.

Even though I am not religious, I have no problem with a business or a person voluntarily deciding not to conduct business or work on Sunday. However, it is wrong for a government entity to prohibit any sort of activity on Sunday that it allows on other days.

Atlanta is still steeped in blue laws. I was on layover at ATL on my way down to SunNFun a few years ago. I popped into the bar next to my gate for a burger and a beer. They said I could have the burger, but I'd have to wait 20 minutes for the beer as the liquor laws banned sales before noon on Sunday.

I didn't have the same experience. I distinctly remember getting a beer before noon from Sweetwater Brewery there at ATL. Maybe you went to the wrong bar. :)

No alcohol sales on Sunday here in Gallup. One exception is restaurants can sell beer after noon.

Alcohol is big business here since the reservations are supposed to be dry. A liquor license will run about 400,000 bucks by the time it is all said and done.

I have seen old signs that say, "NO alcohol sales to Indians after 3pm".

Alas, a lot of the historical Texas liquor laws are specifically racially targetted as well (at least as recently as the early eighties when I was in the Dallas area).
While hiding in a disguise of moral propriety, it was really a way of excluding blacks and other minorities from certain venues.

Agree, but it's humorous how many times me and my wife are riding around running errands or on our way back home from an out of town weekend on a Sunday, when lunch time hits and we say "chick fil a sounds good... Oh wait..."

I guess our godless heathen brains can't wrap around closing a perfectly good profit machine on the one day that we're [apparently] most likely to be riding around craving a fast chicken sandwich.

They seem to be doing alright. #8 in sales being closed on Sundays.

https://www.qsrmagazine.com/content/qsr50-2017-top-50-chart?sort=qsr_50_rank&dir=asc

Chick-Fil-A gets thumbs down from me for their stance on (and activism against) LGBT rights, especially marriage rights. Not to say that they shouldn't support whatever cause they like, that's their right and it's one of the great things about this country. Of course, I also have the right to boycott them, and I do.

Chick-Fil-A gets thumbs down from me for their stance on (and activism against) LGBT rights, especially marriage rights. Not to say that they shouldn't support whatever cause they like, that's their right and it's one of the great things about this country. Of course, I also have the right to boycott them, and I do.

What I will give them is that they backed way off of that following initial reporting/controversy. I agree that I don't like where they stand, but I still get lunch there on occasion.

Number one average sales per unit of franchised fast food operations, nearly $2.7M. All those boycotting as sure hurting them.

I was not aware of that.

I think I will go have lunch there today and tomorrow.

Seriously, am I the only one here who finds it quite hilarious that the biggest self proclaimed perv here starts a thread about how he respects a company's christian values?

Is it an Alabama thing?

Did he too ride a horse to the polls last Tuesday?

Flying out of Boise one morning and I wanted a captain and coke... nope, it’s 9:31 and we can’t serve liquor until 10:a

The bartender did give me a to-go cup of soda and a double shot on my
last one... and turned around and walked into the kitchen as to not witness my shenanigans allegedly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upload_2017-12-20_18-33-2.jpeg

Seriously, am I the only one here who finds it quite hilarious that the biggest self proclaimed perv here starts a thread about how he respects a company's christian values?

Is it an Alabama thing?

Did he too ride a horse to the polls last Tuesday?

Seriously, am I the only one here who finds the reaction of the "PC is BS" crowd to be hilarious when it is their sensitivities that are offended, especially when it's the one who tries to offend as much as he can, as often as he can? All at a pace of 8,000 ppy?

The righteous indignation is entertainingly disingenuous.

(Yes, I'm trolling...quite admittedly)

Ain't got no patience for "politically correct" nonsense. Print it for me, and I'll add it to my compost pile and get some use of it, otherwise it's all garbage.

Liz,

I respect your right to not do business with any firm whose beliefs you disagree with but I suspect too much political correctness comes into play. Somewhere in the constitution we were granted the right (correction, the right of freedom of religion was acknowledged for all to follow their beliefs). I have respect for those who believe differently than I. I am a Christian who has many Jewish friends and we get along just fine while respecting each other's beliefs.

Take it for what it's worth It was said from my point of view and may be flawed but I seriously disagree with you. We, suspseodesly being free people, do have the right to express our opinions but I see the leftists seeking to destroy that right every time I read a news article.

Please acknowledge that the other side has their viewpoint.

My comment was not intended to be hurtful or dismissive of any religion or lack thereof. I am speaking only for myself.

Liz,

I respect your right to not do business with any firm whose beliefs you disagree with but I suspect too much political correctness comes into play. Somewhere in the constitution we were granted the right (correction, the right of freedom of religion was acknowledged for all to follow their beliefs). I have respect for those who believe differently than I. I am a Christian who has many Jewish friends and we get along just fine while respecting each other's beliefs.

Take it for what it's worth It was said from my point of view and may be flawed but I seriously disagree with you. We, suspseodesly being free people, do have the right to express our opinions but I see the leftists seeking to destroy that right every time I read a news article.

Please acknowledge that the other side has their viewpoint.

My comment was not intended to be hurtful or dismissive of any religion or lack thereof. I am speaking only for myself.
Would you patronize a business when you knew the owners had a public viewpoint that is in opposition to your beliefs?

Just asking, because that's what you're accusing Liz of doing.

I tried Chick-fil-a one night when driving home. I had heard others say good things about the food. They were very friendly, but the chicken sucked. It seemed soggy and tasteless. Maybe I hit them on a bad night.

Isn't a lock a better idea than picking a side?

LGBT right to marry is based on the lie, that their rights were violated. Marriage had historically been between a man and woman, and everyone had the same right, to marry an individual of the opposite sex. LGBT redefined marriage... ;( boo. And, I'm pretty sure CFA business has been booming since the boycott began.

Last edited:
Would you patronize a business when you knew the owners had a public viewpoint that is in opposition to your beliefs?

Just asking, because that's what you're accusing Liz of doing.

I don't really care that much. People can have any view point they want and if you live your life with love and respect for others then it is ok. You don't have to agree with them to think they run a good business.

Hint for adulting - other people won't always agree with you. That is ok. Hating a business on the basis of religious disagreement is still hating.

LGBT right to marry is based on the lie, that their rights were violated. Marriage had historically been between a man and woman, and everyone had the same right, to marry an individual of the opposite sex. LGBT redefined marriage... ;( boo. And, I'm pretty sure CFA business has been booming since the boycott began.

On the other hand, haven't we learned that just because it is your belief, you cannot force it onto others through law? Let them marry their way, you do it you way. If they want to run off to vegas, jump a broomstick, marry multiple wives or marry someone of the same sex, why would you want to impose your morality on them?

The opposite runs true too - they cannot impose their morality on you.

Respect.

At least Cathy realizes the difference between expressing his views (which he's free to do either with words or contributions) and what is proper behavior. It's not like his stores are discriminating against LBGT customers claiming religion somehow allows them to do so.

At least Cathy realizes the difference between expressing his views (which he's free to do either with words or contributions) and what is proper behavior. It's not like his stores are discriminating against LBGT customers claiming religion somehow allows them to do so.
He might if a patron demanded he sell them a sandwich explicitly promoting the gay lifestyle.

So, better to beat them into compliance with your views than allow a conscientious objector to exist? Gotcha

Just for the record, this is what a lack of respect for other looks like.

I am sure a lock is coming as soon as the admins wake up

I don't really care that much. People can have any view point they want and if you live your life with love and respect for others then it is ok. You don't have to agree with them to think they run a good business.

Hint for adulting - other people won't always agree with you. That is ok. Hating a business on the basis of religious disagreement is still hating.
There’s nothing wrong with avoiding a business due to disagreement with their beliefs, religious or otherwise. As far as hating goes, you’re putting words in my mouth. But I’ll be the first one to say that I don’t love and respect everyone.

Government shouldn't be in the marriage business in the first place. You should get a "civil union" license when you go to a courthouse regardless of your brand/style of union. Marriage is a religious thing and it should stay in the churches.

Ah yes this tired old argument. The same one they made back in the 50s when interracial marriage was still illegal. It would destroy the fabric of the country they said. It was re-defining marriage they said, although knowing the demographics of aviation, they might well include you. They said the same thing when women started demanding their right to leave the home and be independent, to vote.

I will never understand why the older generations feel so threatened by my desire to marry my boyfriend. It must take a pretty sad life to be threatened by someone else's love. Thankfully the tide has turned and the older generations have lost. In 30 years we will look back on these days and view those who opposed LGBT rights with the same incredulity as we do now to those who opposed the end of Jim Crow.

As to Chik-Fil-A, they get none of my business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back