Geographical humour

Zeldman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Billy
by Mike Cox

“I guess you know the true story behind the founding of Amarillo?” asked my old friend Larry Todd.

Being a native son and having written about the city’s history, I figured I knew the story of Amarillo’s genesis well enough. Essentially, it has to do with cattle and railroad tracks. But it sounded like Larry had a good tale to tell, so I said, nope, I hadn’t heard the real reason Amarillo came to be.

“Way back when,” he began, “a wagon train was crossing the Panhandle. They stopped for the night in about the middle, 10 or 12 miles north of Palo Duro Canyon.”

Continuing, Larry explained that the wagon master circled the wagons as a protection against hostile Indians and to keep the livestock from wandering off during the night. That done, the pioneers collected enough buffalo chips for their cooking fires and enjoyed a hearty supper after a long, hard day of travel in a relentless wind that stung eyes and chapped lips.

After the evening meal, the wagon master (picture Ward Bond in the old black-and-white TV series “Wagon Train”) called everyone together and said:

“Until this dang wind stops blowing, we’ll just stay here.”

(The joke is they never left, because the wind never stops.)

As soon as I quit laughing, it occurred to me that Larry’s story was only the second Texas place name joke I had ever heard. But surely, given the several thousand towns and cities in Texas, there are more such jokes.

Oddly, the only other Texas town-origin joke I know has to do with how another Panhandle community got its name.

In the case of this particular town, a pioneer and his wife had set out alone on their westward journey. Traveling slowly across the sea of grass that constituted the Panhandle before it saw its first plow, the couple proceeded until the woman declared that she needed to answer the call of nature.

Reining in their team, the man looked at his wife and said, “Anywhere you want, dear.”

Surveying the desolate landscape from the seat of their wagon, the pioneer woman saw no outhouse or any other structure. In fact, the vast openness stretched from horizon to horizon.

“Right here in plain view?” she said.

And thus came to be the county seat of Hale County, Plainview.

Amazingly, there’s a third joke involving the naming of a Panhandle community – Mobeetie.

Originally known as Sweetwater, the Wheeler County town couldn’t keep that name because there’s another Sweetwater downstate in Nolan County. So, the story goes, someone asked a reservation Kiowa Indian from nearby Indian Territory (now Oklahoma) what the Indian word for “sweet water” was. He said the rough translation would be “mobeetie” and the town had a new name that stuck.

Sometime later, the joke goes, one of the residents of the newly named county seat was walking across the street when another friendly Indian who happened to be in town pointed to a large and very fresh cow pattie the fellow unknowingly was about to plant one of his boots in.

“Don’t step in the mobeetie,” the Indian cautioned.

Distinctive as it is, the Panhandle can’t be the only part of Texas with jokes about how some of its towns got their name.

A possible fourth contender, though it doesn’t speak to how the town got its name, is the old joke about two men who stopped for a hamburger in the Limestone County town of Mexia.

“How do you pronounce the name of this place?” one of the men asked the woman at the cash register.

“I beg your pardon,” she replied. “What do you mean?”

“We’re from out of state. How do you say where we are?”

Finally grasping what the customer was talking about, she spoke as slowly and distinctly as she could:

“D-A-I-R-Y Q-U-E-E-N.”

http://www.texasescapes.com/default.htm

How Canada got it's name...

Three fur trappers sitting around the fire one night decided they would name their new home. They decided they would each come up with favorite consonant and try to throw them together to form a proper name.

First trapper says "C, eh."
Second trapper says "N, eh."
Third trapper says "D, eh."

They put them together and got CaNaDa!

Oh this thread isn't about what I thought it was.

True story: When French explorers asked the local Indians what they called the area they were exploring. The Indians replied, "Eee-En-Wah" (land between the rivers). The Frenchmen wrote it down phonetically according to their rules, and today we have "Illinois".

@Zeldman, you may appreciate this little slice of northern New Mexico history. Randy Sparks, founder of the folk group The New Christy Minstrels, and formerly Burl Ives' writer and opening act for 30 years, tells this story:

This was Burl Ives’ favorite song in the latter part of his life. Whenever I walked into a room where he was, he’d say, “Sing it,” and I never had to ask, ‘Sing what?’ I knew. We think it’s a true story, and it’s the best tale you ever heard. It was a gift from a very old man when we played the Napa County Fair in California in the early ‘eighties. After my group and I had performed, I walked to the back of the sold-out outdoor theater to check on the sound, and he said to me, “You and your musicians brought back such memories with your music. My mother played the banjo and my father played guitar, and you took me right back there to our front porch.” “Where did you grow up?” I wanted to know. His answer was. “Farmington, New Mexico,” and I blurted out, “It must have been the frontier back then.” “Yes, it was,” he conceded; “I remember it well … Me and the boys was bringin’ cattle down from the Reservation …,” and he went on to tell the tale exactly as I captured it in song. He seemed embarrassed to tell me that he considered himself “a patriotic American,” but just for a little while “was wishing that we had not won the war.” I went back to my hotel room and wrote it down just the way he said it, and that same day, sang it for Burl. He was astounded. “What a story!” he said, “likely the very last of true cowboy adventures.” Sadly, I hadn’t bothered to ask the man’s name, so I had no way to contact him to share with him “our song.” A few weeks later, Burl and I spent much of a day calling Farmington, the newspaper, the historical society, anybody we could think of, but this happening wasn’t remembered. I feel the need to fix that.

Here's Randy's song, Armistice Day in Farmington:

Me and the boys was bringin' cattle down from the Reservation,
Hundred and fifty head out on the trail.
Denver then was a cattle town, that was their destination,
We had a date to load 'em at the rail.
We pushed 'em through the bright of day and bedded down at nighttime,
Slickered up to drive 'em through the rain.
We'd caught and counted every stray, and just about the right time
They was in the pens to meet the train.

CHORUS:
Every day I live I love my country more,
I would never leave this land that I adore.
But in Farmington New Mexico on Armistice Day,
I was wishin' that we had not won the war.

Me and the boys was havin' beers but actin' rather sober,
Drinkin' just to wash the dust away.
We heard the guns, we heard the cheers, we knew the war was over --
The whole durn town went crazy on that day.
The cattle jumped their barricades and joined the celebration,
It looked just like the wild and wooly west.
It took four days to catch the ones that stayed around the station,
I don't believe we'll ever see the rest.

[CHORUS]

© Cherrybell Music Publishing Co.​

Denver was literally named after a failed Kansas politician.

The better story is Market Street downtown. You see, all the other downtown streets on that end of downtown are named for the contingent of politicians who came here from Kansas to annoy Denver forever by setting up a government.

But one particular politician became the town drunk. And having a street named after him (since he liked to sit on the corner and tell all the newcomers to town the street was named after him) was embarrassing for the politicians who wanted Denver to be “respectable” and all that crap...

So they renamed it Market street, since the market was on it.

And no, it really didn’t help make Denver respectable. In fact, Market Street became the red light district with Mattie Silks House of Mirrors being the first Denver brothel built in a building specifically for the purpose. And the “gargoyles” on the corners of the building... there’re actually busts of the politicians Mattie blackmailed to allow the brothel to be built. Building is still there.

Only 18 years after becoming a State, the governor ordered the Guard to blow the Denver City Counsel building up, due to corruption of the City politicians and gambling. LOL.

The current crop of City politicians isn’t really any better than back then, either. There was a sting just a few years ago with, you guessed it, hookers and illegal gambling.

Ahh... Denver... never changes.

yeah! and tunnels under DIA! Oh wait, that's "downtown" from the Brown Palace to the brothels at the time? If I have my recollections straight (which is highly suspect lately)

The state of Alabama was named after the river. The Alabama River was named by early European explorers after the Indian tribe that lived in the territory and first appeared in 1540 spelled as "Alibamu", "Alibamo" and even "Limamu" in the journals of the Spanish explorer Hernando Desoto.

Now Slap Out , Alabama:

Holtville is 27 miles northwest of Montgomery, Alabama and is also called SlapOut by locals. There are many legends where the name Slap-Out came from; one being in reference to a once-popular song and a huge billboard announced that Slap-Out is “where most of the stars fell.” Locals also relate that there was once a “sorry excuse for a store in the area,” and the owner would answer whenever someone asked for something he did not have (which was often), “I’m slap out.” Another, reason was that it was so far away that it was ‘Slap-out in the middle of nowhere.”

That's all I got. Many of the towns/cities are named after Indian names and tribes in Alabama.

Last edited:
yeah! and tunnels under DIA! Oh wait, that's "downtown" from the Brown Palace to the brothels at the time? If I have my recollections straight (which is highly suspect lately)

Your memory is still working fine. The known tunnel was under Tremont street to the building across the road from the Brown Palace which is now an art museum, and while it’s not on the official tour, the patrons will show you where the tunnel came in at to go to the brothel. The tunnel was imploded long ago.

Rumors of many more tunnels, but not a lot of them confirmed. Since most of downtown was served by steam heat for decades, and 130 buildings still use it, the tunnel system has been trashed and rebuilt numerous times. The tunnels served dual purposes of discreet transportation to brothels, and steam lines for heating the buildings.

And lots of those tunnels got switched to going to and from the “Power and Light” building next door to the modern arts complex, which is chock full of telecom gear, a “telco hotel” since it’s right next door to “Denver Main”, the main Bell System Central Office that still serves as the main telecom building in downtown Denver... which is only a block away from the AT&T building which still had most of its microwave towers on top of it until not so long ago...

All sorts of fiber optics and old copper running in those old tunnels these days. Not so much the politicians going to see hookers. Haha.

Fun “lost” stuff from Denver, here...

http://www.confluence-denver.com/features/lost_denver_120314.aspx

2104 article on the steam plant and the 2009 build of the chilled water plant, which is a fascinating addition since much of the tunnel system was already in place, so Xcel just added a giant building that looks like an office building but actually makes massive amounts of ice at night, and then chills water all day for the cooling needs of a number of buildings.

http://denverinfill.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Denvers-128-Year-Old-Steam-System.pdf

The steam long ago used to come from the Xcel Zuni plant on the river, but the steam generation was all re-routed to a State owned boiler building long ago, and then leased to Xcel to operate it. The Cherokee Plant also makes a ton of steam, but it’s a byproduct of their natural gas electric “peaker” electrical units, and they use the waste heat from those to make steam and spin another turbine for more electricity. It was never connected to the downtown steam distribution, unfortunately. Don’t think there were ever any plans to do so, but seems like it was close enough to be involved in the whole thing. Probably no good way to get from it into the downtown system.

As you move away from Downtown quite a few State and municipal buildings are still steam heated, and a buddy of mine’s dad worked on State boilers all over the place for 30 years before he retired. Some really scary old boilers in some of their buildings... he said... keeping up with maintenance was obviously, for him, a full time job.

Another version of how Denver was founded, by Gallagher.

ROFLMAO. Pretty true. Although I think it was psychos like Hans Obermeyer and Warren Miller who stayed IN the mountains and made that whole skiing thing a way to rip off Texans and people with private jets who fly into KASE. :)

“Hey, come on out and strap some trees to your feet and careen down a mountain trying not to hit a tree or freeze to death. It’s fun!” :) :) :)

Here is a story I heard in England. The seaside town of Bognor (not really a good name anyway -- sounds like a swamp) was visited by King George while he was suffering from lung disease since the town was on the coast and had fresh clean air, at least compared to London. After the King returned to London, a delegation from Bognor went to the King's residence and petitioned the King for a royal charter for their town. The King's secretary presented the petition to the King, who responded "Oh bugger Bognor", as his final words before dying. The secretary told the delegation that the king has granted their petition, and the town became Bognor Regis (now it's a royal swamp).

The state of Alabama was named after the river. The Alabama River was named by early European explorers after the Indian tribe that lived in the territory and first appeared in 1540 spelled as "Alibamu", "Alibamo" and even "Limamu" in the journals of the Spanish explorer Hernando Desoto.

Now Slap Out , Alabama:

Holtville is 27 miles northwest of Montgomery, Alabama and is also called SlapOut by locals. There are many legends where the name Slap-Out came from; one being in reference to a once-popular song and a huge billboard announced that Slap-Out is “where most of the stars fell.” Locals also relate that there was once a “sorry excuse for a store in the area,” and the owner would answer whenever someone asked for something he did not have (which was often), “I’m slap out.” Another, reason was that it was so far away that it was ‘Slap-out in the middle of nowhere.”

That's all I got. Many of the towns/cities are named after Indian names and tribes in Alabama.

I work with a guy who lives in Slapout . . . . Have heard only about the store that never had nothing. Ain't much of a town, but I sometimes see service trucks with "Slapout" painted as their location.

:cornut: :raspberry:

I work with a guy who lives in Slapout . . . . Have heard only about the store that never had nothing. Ain't much of a town, but I sometimes see service trucks with "Slapout" painted as their location.

Been there once, this past fall, when grandson had a football game there. Yep not much, just another small town.

Just another very small town.

--resident 7 miles out from a town of 1012 souls

Eclectic? Knew a guy, Parker, years ago lived around there somewhere. Had his own grass strip and a C172 Hawk he flew out of there. Think he owned a var lot or three around Wetumpka.

True story: When French explorers asked the local Indians what they called the area they were exploring. The Indians replied, "Eee-En-Wah" (land between the rivers). The Frenchmen wrote it down phonetically according to their rules, and today we have "Illinois".

Illinois translates to "Ill noise". There's a lot of that coming from Chicago these days.

Just to the south of Slapout is Elmore, and the Wetumpka airport where I instructed for years. 9/27 paved, 18/36 grass, jumpers/jump zone, ultralights, active EAA, 3-4 maintenance shops, and a lot of flight instruction back in the day. Pretty slow now. I stopped by last year and they have a ****ing fence around it now! Progress?

Well, there haven't been any terrorist attacks at Wetumpka lately, so the fence must be working, right? :rolleyes:o_O

True true lol! But then there wasn't any before either, other than drunks stopping by wanting to go for a plane ride.

Not the most humorous, but round hereabouts.

According to legend, the train stops on the rail line coming out of Detroit were numbered with an abbreviation for number and Roman Numerals so the 6th stop is now the city of Novi.

And another city named itself after a shopping mall.

And when someone tells you to go to aich ee double hocky sticks, it's not that far to drive.
"There are two theories for the origin of Hell's name. The first is that a pair of German travelers stepped out of a stagecoach one sunny afternoon in the 1830s, and one said to the other, "So schön hell!" (translated as, "So beautifully bright!") Their comments were overheard by some locals and the name stuck. Soon after Michigan gained statehood, George Reeves was asked what he thought the town he helped settle should be called and replied, "I don't care, you can name it Hell for all I care." The name became official on October 13, 1841. The second theory is tied to the "hell-like" conditions encountered by early explorers including mosquitos, thick forest cover, and extensive wetlands." Wikipedia

The story I heard about Elgin (EL gin) Texas.

The rail road came through the area. The area is short choppy hills, which made it tough on the engineers and brakemen.

As the train would get close to the area, the engineer would tell the brakeman that "We are about to go through hell again."

Ever the years it was shortened from hell again, to hell gin to eventually Elgin.

Some interesting street names in San Diego.
Goesno PL - Used to go nowhere now ends at a park.
Havetuer Way - A block from MYF
Lanoitan St. In National City

There was a town in Texas that had two families that were always in competition on having the biggest political influence on the town. One family would get elected in and change the name of the town. Then the other family would get elected in and change the name of the town back to their wanted name.

This apparently went on for many years. Then the post office decided that they had enough of the name changing. So it was decided to flip a coin to decide the name of the town.

When the day came, everyone met down at the creek bank. A person not associated with the town politics was chosen to flip the coin. Legend has it that the coin was a big silver dollar. The person aggressively flipped the coin, which landed in the water with a very distinct sound.

And from that sound is how the town of Clute, Texas got its name.

Portland, Oregon, got its name as the result of a coin flip between two of the leading settlers, both from established towns in the Northeast. Had the coin landed the other way, it would have been “Boston”. The coin is still on display in the Portland city hall.

You know, if you had a fleet of vehicles and needed them numbered, you could paint them
just right to make them pretty funny...

Slap - One - Out
Slap - Two - Out

Haha. You get the idea. :)

Back