C182S - what to look for when buying

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
I know we all love these kind of threads. What "gotchas" exist with a 1997 C182S that you'd advise a prospective purchaser to look out for? I have owned a 172 for a couple of years, but don't have any 182 experience yet.

I've owned a 1998 182S for about 8 years and overall have really enjoyed the aircraft. Some of the items I've had to deal with are listed below (might have missed a few). If you want any specific details just let me know. Overall pretty minor, just some additional expense which I believe to be pretty common with airplane ownership.

- Bendix King KX155A NAV/COMM Displays: I've had to replace both of mine as they are at the end of their service life. About $850 each all said and done.
- Vacuum System Issues: I have been having pretty constant issues with this system and I have been told by multiple avionics shops the root of the problem is the type of fittings used by Cessna. They have degraded over time and are introducing small particulate into the system causing the AH & DG Gyros to fail and need repair.
- Vacuum Pump: Replaced
- Throttle Cable: Teflon coating breaking away, Needed Replacement
- Master Switch Issues: We had some issues with the master switch not turning on or off, after replacing the switch we found out it was a frayed wire making contact with the airframe. Of course this happened on the trip to Oshkosh so I ended up having to remove and install the battery connections to get the master off and on... We stopped at multiple FBO's trying to get it fixed, but nobody could figure it out. fun stuff
-New Starter
-ELT Remote Switch Issues
-Gasolator: O ring replacement

Back