What would be best wishes for a glider pilot?

Irina Stiles

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ims
I would like to write a card to a glider pilot. What would be best wishes for someone who flies gliders? Maybe there are some idiomatic expressions that a non-pilot wouldn't know?

Two that I have liked are

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things", that's from St. Exupery. The other one is "if God wanted us to stay on the ground he would have given us roots"

I don't know any glider or sailplane specific ones though, I feel like those probably vary from region to region and club to club. Google may your best option if you don't like either of the two above

May you always land out in fields of flowers.

May your towline never break, may the thermals always be near and when you land out, may the recovery crew arrive quickly.

Cheers

How about, "Some day you ought to buy a motor for that thing!"

Although powered aircraft may express the language of flight, soaring is it's eloquence.

-Richard Miller 1967

May Cu’s dot the sky from horizon to horizon and cloud streets form along your path.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May you not run out of air.

Years ago that was the equivalent to "Happy flying."

The video posted by paflyer above of the glider scene from "The Thomas Crown Affair" (1968) -- what a gorgeous Schweizer 1-23! Saw one recently at Chilhowee at a Vintage Sailplane Association gathering. Just a beautiful glider--and quite a performer for its time.

Back