Explaining a conviction

T

Ttexrbomb

so I am all set to go in and take my medical. I do have a criminal conviction (1) from 6 years ago. That is long in the past and I have moved on. Now comes the medical. It was a theft of public money (over collected public unemployment benefits).

I was told by the FAA that I should provide a letter of explanation to them as well as all the court documents, which is fine. My question is in my explanation letter, what do I need to say (and not say). I know there are looking to see if my conviction could be mental health related. Would they consider one conviction to be a mental health issue? What is the bar? Has anybody else been through this. Any help and advise is appreciated.

Explain what happened, the consequences, what you learned from the experience and how you have grown from it. Then hope you get a medical.

Flying is a privilege not a right.

Of all the things to be convicted of...

In Texas they send a letter. Something to the effect of, "hey pardner, can we have our money back?" and you reply, "Sure, how about $150/mo until we're square?" and they say, "Sounds good, send the checks to the little gal at the clerks office. Here's the address."

Getting charged with AND convicted for that seems extreme. As with all things, there may be more to the story. No need to tell us, but do have someone like lbfjrmd or Dr. B pre-read your explanatory note before submitting it. Call it cheap insurance for your medical.

I know there are looking to see if my conviction could be mental health related. Would they consider one conviction to be a mental health issue?

Do the certificate requirements still say one has to be of "good moral character"?

Do the certificate requirements still say one has to be of "good moral character"?

These days "good moral character" means you aren't working in Politics, Media, or Entertainment.

But it doesn't matter. You just submit a statement that you "self identify as a person of good moral character" and they must accept that.

guest never said but i suspect his application was received by FAA and thus their request for info. spilt milk now. interesting case ... hope he/she will keep us posted

I have been convicted of operating a motor vehicle beyond the parameters set forth by both state and federal regulators a few times.

The whole truth and nothing but the truth. Things tend to bite you in the butt later on if you aren't honest up front, especially with the FAA. Depending on the amount of money in question, it could be viewed as a felony in their eyes and that would compound the issue.

Ok, I’m the OP but had to recreate my account.

Went to medical appt and disclosed everything. Brought in copy of background check showing this was only conviction and documentation showing all probation conditions were met. Brought in PSE showing no history of drug or alcohol abuse and crime was not drug or alcohol related. Also brought in documents showing all fines and costs were paid in fullz. AME called into Aerospace Medicine and was told he could issue if there are no other concerns. Medical was issued but I was told a follow up request for more information may come at a later date (I fully expect to get a letter in the mail at a later date asking for more info). When that days comes I will provide the same information and I will work the problem but for now I have a medical certificate and a temp student pilot certificate (I was told the temp certificate wouldn’t be issued until the TsA check came back). I believe that check to be for a watchlist hit and not a full blown criminal check. I did not apply for a 1st class as of yet and will reserve that for the future.

I noticed somebody commented that they wanted me to post an update, so here it is. I really expected to be deferred and I am so happy and fortunate that I am writing about a more positive outcome. I am nowhere out of the woods but hopefully his story will ultimately have a happy ending. It’s looking good so far.

guest never said but i suspect his application was received by FAA and thus their request for info. spilt milk now. interesting case ... hope he/she will keep us posted
I hate it when a doc or lawyer says you have an "interesting case." :eek:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back