GTN650 and Navworx

creweite

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Creweite
I can get my GTN650 to provide the WAAS input to my Navworx unit, per the FAA this is legal. But does anyone know how to have the traffic information show on the GTN650? The Navworx installation information is not a lot of help. It appears that the output from the ADS600-B unit pins 8 and 27 should go to the ARINC 429 inputs 1A and 2A, but what should the ARINC pin settings be on the GTN? There are a lot of traffic formats available for either pin, but if one is selected on one pin the options for the other are all grayed out and not available. Spoke with a Garmin rep who said that traffic formats can only be selected on one pin, so what should the other be set to?
Since Navworx is tango uniform there is no help from there, and Dallas Avionics who sold me the equipment before Navworx crashed have been very helpful in other areas but could not help here.
Help!

My NW install manual only shows the GTN as a position source. Does the GTN have open rs422 ports you can use to display traffic? I believe that was the Capstone standard, and it's how NW displays on MX and GMX MFD's. The GTN should support that in any case.

The manual shows 429 also being used to send traffic only to the 430 and MX/GMX via 429, using two pins. I was under the impression that both pins had to be used for one display. Maybe selecting one pin configures both? Have you tried it with the NW configuration simulated traffic function?

Last edited:
The ADS600-B is sending out simulated traffic from the UAT monitor on the wifi dongle and can be seen on my tablet. There is a scope waveform on both of the ADS600-B output pins at the GTN650. The installation manual does not show a traffic connection for the GTN650, the connection information given is scantly to say the least, no info on connecting the maintenance port, power, trans monitor and traffic out. A very poor piece of information. I got the ARINCconnection information from the connection information for an IFD device and just hoped it was the same on the GTN650. Garmin were no help at all. I appear to be up the proverbial creek here!

Which version install manual do you have? The TransMon, mx port, power etc. shouldn't be dependent on position source and display. One thing you should be aware of is that the Navworx only supports traffic on one display at a time. Whichever display configure for display 2 will be position only. So if your wi-fi is display one, only that will get traffic info. Multiple displays was supposed to be fixed in the pending software update.
I have a .pdf of the most recent install manual. Shoot me an email addy and it's yours. The Garmin I can't help you with.

My install manual says that it is rev. 42 dated 4/29/17. Is that the latest?

I don't think that the wifi dongle can be considered as a display as the GTN650 is outputting waveforms on the connections to the GTN650. The problem appears to be the set up in the GTN650, and Garmin have not been much help with that I'm afraid.

Did you look at the notes in Fig A.5 for 429 traffic to a 430? It says if 429 port 1 is used for another purpose, set port 2 to 330 traffic. Maybe it's applicable to a GTN as well?

That does not appear in the options in the GTN set up.

Back