jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
I just got some new charts and a catalog was in the bag that included these:
https://liftaviationusa.com/collections/shoes

Pilot shoes? I did see the feature of the heel glide to ease pushing the rudder pedals while resting your heels on the floor. I admit, I've never had a problem with it.

John

If you want the same thing for 1/3 the price you could just buy some pumas

4-Puma-BMW-Motorsport-Driving-shoes.jpg

Here's a bunch to choose from, also normally you can get them even cheaper from zapos or Amazon
http://us.puma.com/en_US/men/shoes/motorsport

I used to wear pumas all the time for flying, but really it wasn't needed, now I wear a combo of skateboard shoes (super comfy and tuff), dress shoes, and in the winter logger boots, all work just the same.

Personally I wouldn't spend $140 on what appears to be just be a off brand puma

Last edited:
Your not a real pilot unless,your wearing pilot shoes when flying.

I like the Minimus shoe by Newbalance. I've been using similar shoes by Merrill as everyday shoes for the last 6 months.

Special shoes are not required...if you think they are, I recommend a 6+" stiletto. You'll find that it's impossible to fly the airplane with it on and you'll be grounded and therefore no longer a pilot.

Ladies, if you can fly wearing shoes like that, I'll be highly impressed, for more than one reason...

Some planes do require special shoes... some Pitts, and all Christen Eagles. You need a slim fitting shoe or you can't get your foot in the tunnel to the rudder pedals.

Car driving shoes work well. In my 1929 Waco ATO when they replaced the rudder bar with rudder pedals and toe brakes, they left very little room for feet.

Stan Smiths. Nice thin soles, pretty lightweight. I like using them for track days too 'cause it's easy to feel the pedals for heel/toe, etc.

They're not very good for tennis anymore; the cushioning sucks. ASICS are pretty nice for the modern game.

stan-smith-shoes-adidas-m261739.jpg

SPORTS_150429905_AR_0_NJPRFDNDNOXP.jpg

I wear size 13 and normal shoes get stuck in the rudder pedal tunnel on the diamond. I wear pumas and it’s a non issue.

If you want the same thing for 1/3 the price you could just buy some pumas

4-Puma-BMW-Motorsport-Driving-shoes.jpg

Here's a bunch to choose from, also normally you can get them even cheaper from zapos or Amazon
http://us.puma.com/en_US/men/shoes/motorsport

I used to wear pumas all the time for flying, but really it wasn't needed, now I wear a combo of skateboard shoes (super comfy and tuff), dress shoes, and in the winter logger boots, all work just the same.

Personally I wouldn't spend $140 on what appears to be just be a off brand puma
I would buy those but I drive a bmw and my friends would notice and judge me

Some planes do require special shoes... some Pitts, and all Christen Eagles. You need a slim fitting shoe or you can't get your foot in the tunnel to the rudder pedals.
True, but you don’t need to buy special shoes from Spruce or Sportys for that.

Car driving shoes work well. In my 1929 Waco ATO when they replaced the rudder bar with rudder pedals and toe brakes, they left very little room for feet.
I don’t know how your ATO cockpit is, but in my F2, I found that I need flat sole shoes to be able to work the heel brakes. Sperry boat shoes work bear. Anything with a noticeabl heel is a real pain.

Special shoes are not required...if you think they are, I recommend a 6+" stiletto.
Do you have any idea how hard they were to find in a mens' 11? I'm not gonna risk them in the RV!

Nauga,
workin' it.

Special shoes are not required...if you think they are, I recommend a 6+" stiletto.

Not required. But, sometimes they help, even on a Cherokee 140, with the standard Size 14 extra wide rudder pedals.

Can I fly a certified aircraft with them or are they only for experimentals?

I just got some new charts and a catalog was in the bag that included these:
https://liftaviationusa.com/collections/shoes

Pilot shoes? I did see the feature of the heel glide to ease pushing the rudder pedals while resting your heels on the floor. I admit, I've never had a problem with it.

John
Where's the FAA/PMA number? Or are these only experimental? They're too cheap to be approved for certified aircraft.

I wear Puma's all the time, right now in fact and I'm at work. At the moment, I'm wearing red suede with a black swooshie. But I've also got a pair of white leather with the swooshie outlined in vent holes and a pair of grey suede with a white swooshie.

I fly with them all the time but never attributed them to flying shoes. :dunno:

I wear the same thing I wear to the office. The Corporate Nikes...black uppers, black swoosh, black sole, black laces. Black shoes matter.

Back