Searching for CFI in Atlanta

inspectorpacket

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
inspectorpacket
About to start my training. Thinking that I might fly out of KPDK just to have the experience with the busiest Class D in the country. Maybe this is not a good idea, you tell me?

Any recommendations on a "GOOD" CFI ? I want the right person, and yes I know, take a test ride with them, but I figure there are dozens that are working for various companies and probably some individuals as well.

My wish list
1. Someone that is patient and good. Well spoken
2. Will ensure I know what I am doing, and not just bare minimum certify yet another student.
3. Treat fairly with respect to time and $$
4. Not have the uber ego and be a douchebag

Responses either positive or negative toward an instructor or particular company are welcome, and if you are not comfortable putting it in public, please shoot me a direct message.

Dave Theisen (sp?) would be a good choice. He's a member of this forum and should be along any minute now...

Dave? Calling Dave...

Thinking that I might fly out of KPDK just to have the experience with the busiest Class D in the country. Maybe this is not a good idea, you tell me?

I think it is a good idea. If you are planning on flying from a busy airport you will feel comfortable when the system gets suddenly busy. Especially if you plan on making a career in flying.

I learned at a busy class D and talking on the radio became second nature pretty quickly.

Yeah, it's really good for enriching the rental folks while the Hobbs tick, tick ticks.

Many of the Class D airports in Atlanta are busy. PDK is the busiest of them. Pick one convenient, with a good instructor and good planes. You can easily visit and practice at any of them. I got my PPL and IR at RYY, multi-engine at FTY and have also been

One of the downsides of a busy airport is more time on the ground waiting. The plus is good radio practice and learning to deal with lots of traffic. That radio practice makes the communication part of the instrument rating much easier.

In regards to PDK, my CFI told me "if you can fly out of here, you can fly out of anywhere."
5 years later, that has proven true. I'll PM his contact info.

I have no doubt everybody here is correct, but I’ve never thought of PDK as an exceptionally busy airport.

Thanks all for the references, this is most helpful. Will let you know how things progress.

Seems I heard that Merrill Field in Alaska the busiest GA airport. :dunno:

For the 12-month period ending September 30, 2013, the airport had 126,234 aircraft operations, all of which were general aviation. There are 844 aircraft based at this airport: 786 single engine, 41 multi-engine, 16 helicopters and one glider.

I have no doubt everybody here is correct, but I’ve never thought of PDK as an exceptionally busy airport.

Everything is relative. You’ve probably been to many busy airports, and at busy times.

I think the only place I’ve flown into that is busier was Tampa International and that’s a Class B and the day of the Outback Bowl at the Buccaneers stadium next to the airport. It was loads of fun left high and fast by approach in IMC. Tower asked if I needed to go around when I got switched over, “No, it’s a long runway.”

At PDK I’ve been #5 in line for departure and there was another line for the parallel runway. Loads of fun being near parallel to other downwind traffic too, just 500’ higher in the twin than the single I was passing. He did 3L and I swung out a little more and did 3R. And this wasn’t everyone departing/arriving after/before a big event; the eclipse traffic was far worse afterwards and we didn’t leave right away. I’ve left Auburn after games and that’s a zoo, but to be expected after a game. I’ve learned to just take my time getting back to the airport and have a less hectic departure.

RYY or LZU would give you more traffic and radio work than a more rural airport, and is a short hop distance to PDK to get even higher traffic volumes for experience. In IR training we did a route my instructor called “the grinder”. Depart RYY, to PDK, then FTY, then back to RYY, shooting an approach at each. :eek: Feels like you are spinning knobs for freq changes non-stop.

Controller instructions at PDK come at you like gatling gunfire, you best have your ears open and be on your game!

I have a background in police dispatch for Gwinnett county (late 80s), and am an avid ham radio operator, so listening to multiple streams at once is second nature and have a good dispatch quality voice, so thinking that the conducting radio traffic itself will come second nature. The learning part is going to be part of the foray and ensuring safety for me and others. Should be....fun.

I learned to fly at KPDK and KLZU. I feel like I wasted more time on the ground at PDK, but was glad to have some experience in a busier environment. I found rental rates to be much higher at PDK and eventually found a club at LZU that was great to join.

My advice.... figure out which airport is most convienent at the times you are going to be flying most often and find a good CFI there. Is PDK your closest airport?

Michael O’Neal at PDK is the best of the best. ~30,000 hours and 20,000+ of them are Dual Given. If you’re still looking, let me know and I’ll shoot you over his info. Not sure if anyone else on here knows him, but anyone who hangs around PDK enough can surely vouch for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael O’Neal at PDK is the best of the best. ~30,000 hours and 20,000+ of them are Dual Given. If you’re still looking, let me know and I’ll shoot you over his info. Not sure if anyone else on here knows him, but anyone who hangs around PDK enough can surely vouch for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

please do send me his info.

I learned to fly at KPDK and KLZU. I feel like I wasted more time on the ground at PDK, but was glad to have some experience in a busier environment. I found rental rates to be much higher at PDK and eventually found a club at LZU that was great to join.

My advice.... figure out which airport is most convienent at the times you are going to be flying most often and find a good CFI there. Is PDK your closest airport?

Actually Cobb is a tad bit closer (5ish miles) than PDK to the house. So, not materially different.

I'll vouch for him. He did my transition training in my Mooney. Great guy, highly recommended.

Back