10" bush wheel

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
A friend and newest C-180 owner ground looped his aircraft (I learned today), seem the wheel shattered on landing.
anyone know of any other wheels failing?
landing was totally normal wheels landing, not a controlled crash. :)
Bent 1 wing, and stab, engine did not get a prop strike.
But still looks like $45k damage.

Last edited:
The wheel breaking caused a ground loop
or a ground loop caused the wheel to break? I have my second pair of 10" wheels in the garage. No worries whatsoever.

or a ground loop caused the wheel to break? I have my second pair of 10" wheels in the garage. No worries whatsoever.

Chicken or the egg indeed

As I understand the 180 was at gross, fuel was topped off 10 minute flight prior. no wind day. runway clear, hard surface, pilot high time 180 guy.

Gar-Aero, or ABW? Interested to hear the rest of that story, any pics of the wheel?

As I understand the 180 was at gross, fuel was topped off 10 minute flight prior. no wind day. runway clear, hard surface, pilot high time 180 guy.
I'll bet this wheel was damaged prior.

On a 180? Probably not 35s, so must be Air Hawks. I used to have some on my 180. Not for long. I want back to 29" Bushwheels. My Cub has 10x6.5 wheels and 35s. The Ak Airframes 10" wheels are top notch. I've seen lots of bad landings but never a broken wheel.

Gar-Aero, or ABW? Interested to hear the rest of that story, any pics of the wheel?
Not yet. owner said they were Bush Wheel.
I'm not certain he'd know the difference.

With the price of ABW stuff, yeah I'd wager he'd know if he had ABWs

Most likely going to be one of those two types of wheels. There is nothing else certified for 180/185, far as I'm aware. The Gar's are an adaptor that mate to a 6" wheel, turning it into a 10," the ABW is a 10" wheel that has not been modified.

Gar-Aero
633ef73cdcb99caa6da2554825d383ab.jpg

ABW
3eafb629267c4121861177547437c219.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK Tundra Tire (Seaplanes North) bought the old GarAero adapter design. They glue onto 6" Clevelands and they have been known to delaminate. Schneider had an old adapter that was almost identical but screwed on. Everyone I know who runs 29" AirHawks got rid of their adapted wheels and replaced with ABI wheels. I used ABI wheels with 29" AirHawks myself. Tough tires and wheels but nowhere near as soft as Bushwheels. More rigid sidewalls make the AirHawks popular with guys who operate on sloped beaches. AirHawks toss more rocks over the top and into the prop. Even the shaved ones. Bushwheels are much less prone to rock dings on the prop.

Grove is making 10" wheels now, too, to use with Aero Classic's 31" tubed tundra tires. Guys are getting them field approved on Skywagons in Alaska. http://www.groveaircraft.com/10inch.html

With the price of ABW stuff, yeah I'd wager he'd know if he had ABWs
The wheel that failed was on the aircraft when he bought the aircraft 4 months ago.

I don't believe there is a Skywagon pilot/owner that doesn't know what wheels he has! Fake news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know of a company (to remain anonymous) that the nose wheel broke on landing in a 206 causing the strut to dig into the ground and flipping it on its back.

The rescue plane landed, the nose wheel broke, and that plane flipped on its back.

Investigation showed both wheels where improperly put back together when putting on new tires.

I know of a company (to remain anonymous) that the nose wheel broke on landing in a 206 causing the strut to dig into the ground and flipping it on its back.

The rescue plane landed, the nose wheel broke, and that plane flipped on its back.

Investigation showed both wheels where improperly put back together when putting on new tires.

Did they have a TV show for awhile, with a couple hot daughters? Hmmmm.....

crack propagation.....it's bad when it goes wrong. Someone didn't look those hubs over well at the last annual. It just didn't happen.

Nope...... same state though.

Haha at first I was thinking the Ice Pilots but knew you were referring to Alaska, and they're in Canada. Era/Raven? Or is that the same one the TV show was about?

Haha at first I was thinking the Ice Pilots but knew you were referring to Alaska, and they're in Canada. Era/Raven? Or is that the same one the TV show was about?

This company wasn't on Tv, except maybe the news.

I flew there one summer years ago. Not the same summer the accidents happened. Good company, excellent reputation.

wouldn't matter, This is an obvious failure of the wheel, and the FAA/NTSB has it now.
I seriously doubt that it just failed.....there was damage (a crack) there 4 months ago that an inspection should have caught. That guy should be on the hook for this.....:confused:

Still hard to imagine a wheel with 9 through bolts "shattering." But there's always a way for things to get broken. How many Skywagon hours does this 2-month airplane owner have? Statistics would favor the ground loop caused the wheel failure. The NTSB would know that, too. I'll ask the boys at Airframes about it next time I'm there.

I seriously doubt that it just failed.....there was damage (a crack) there 4 months ago that an inspection should have caught. That guy should be on the hook for this.....:confused:
I'm happy you know so much about this wheel you'e never seen.

Still hard to imagine a wheel with 9 through bolts "shattering." But there's always a way for things to get broken. How many Skywagon hours does this 2-month airplane owner have? Statistics would favor the ground loop caused the wheel failure. The NTSB would know that, too. I'll ask the boys at Airframes about it next time I'm there.
I don't know his times, but this isn't his first 180.

Thanks for the reply. I won't get by Airframes for a few weeks so if you hear more about it before then? Please share. I don't have my 10x10 wheels anymore but lots of friends do. They'll be interested in the final findings.

I'm happy you know so much about this wheel you'e never seen.
well....if yer happy.....I'm hap...hap...happy. :D

Tom....castings have a common manufacturing defect - porosity. Internal porosity or occlusions are stress risers that propagate cracks. It's rare from my observation to see a hub just shatter. There is usually a crack that grows prior to the failure event. I'd be a betting man there was evidence that was not observed at the last inspection....somewhere near the bearing race. Careful analysis of the crack can determine how, where, and how long that crack was there before it let loose.

well....if yer happy.....I'm hap...hap...happy. :D

Tom....castings have a common manufacturing defect - porosity. Internal porosity or occlusions are stress risers that propagate cracks. It's rare from my observation to see a hub just shatter. There is usually a crack that grows prior to the failure event. I'd be a betting man there was evidence that was not observed at the last inspection....somewhere near the bearing race. Careful analysis of the crack can determine how, where, and how long that crack was there before it let loose.
Maybe you should work for NTSB lab or do ya?

Thanks for the reply. I won't get by Airframes for a few weeks so if you hear more about it before then? Please share. I don't have my 10x10 wheels anymore but lots of friends do. They'll be interested in the final findings.
I don't know if I'll ever know, I'm kinda out of the loop

Back