Bourbon; hey, this is good.

I’m sure someone already said it, but Jack Daniels is NOT bourbon.

A third vote for rye here. I was also a scotch drinker, before switching to irish. Coming from that background I liked ryes a lot better than bourbons.

Nobody chose Blanton's? I'm surprised.

If you like Rye? Try Whistle Pig. I prefer the 10 year to the 12. The 10 year is pricey enough. Maybe not quite as good as Thomas Handy but more available and much more affordable!

I don't like bourbon, but I'll drink Blanton's.

A third vote for rye here. I was also a scotch drinker, before switching to irish. Coming from that background I liked ryes a lot better than bourbons.

Same here. But it has to be a decent rye. Rotgut rye's are foul.

Actually it’s not. It’s Tennessee Whiskey.
Bourbon only comes from Kentucky.

On May 4, 1964, the United States Congress recognized bourbon whiskey as a "distinctive product of the United States" by concurrent resolution. Bourbon may be produced anywhere in the United States where it is legal to distill spirits, but most brands are produced in Kentucky, where bourbon production has a strong historical association.

Jack Daniels may or may not be bourbon, but you can make it in any state.

Bullet and Knob Creek are both good off the shelf. Lately, I've found that I really like rye. Has the crisp/zingy quality of Scotch and the full body flavour of bourbon.

On May 4, 1964, the United States Congress recognized bourbon whiskey as a "distinctive product of the United States" by concurrent resolution. Bourbon may be produced anywhere in the United States where it is legal to distill spirits, but most brands are produced in Kentucky, where bourbon production has a strong historical association.

Jack Daniels may or may not be bourbon, but you can make it in any state.
I am familiar with what you say, but I take the old school stance.

Regardless, Jack Daniels is not bourbon. That’s my point.

Actually it’s not. It’s Tennessee Whiskey.
Bourbon only comes from Kentucky.

Nope. The people in bourbon county Kentucky would have you believe that but it isn't a criteria.

To be a bourbon:

1. It must be made in the United States. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't have to be made in Kentucky, although 95 percent of the world's supply is.

2. Aging must take place in a new, charred, oak barrel. Whiskey can be aged in used barrels and often is. The bourbon must be aged for at least two years to be considered a straight bourbon.

3. The mash must be at least 51 percent corn.

4. The whiskey cannot enter the barrel at higher than 125 proof. It cannot enter the bottle at a proof less than 80.

5. Nothing can be added but water and only to lessen the proof when necessary. Other whiskeys can add color and flavor. Not bourbon, it must be au naturel.

All this talk about scotch and bourbon, and not a single mention about a good cigar to pair with your drink. What are ya... a bunch of fricking amateurs?
cigar.png

So talk. Go. Fav?

Find a local tasting bar if you can. Good time hanging out with the folks and trying different tastes.
Here is the list of bourbons currently available at ours, which is luckily (or unluckily) just 2 miles straight down the road from my home.
My son works there so even better.

http://www.jsliquors.com/pdf/bourbonlist.pdf

Four Roses single barrel is excellent, their small batch is very good too.

For everyday drinking, Evan Williams white label is nice and a great value too.

I did part of the Bourbon trail this past spring, and Maker's Mark is a beautiful place. Their single barrel was my favorite during the tasting, with the 46 a close second. Maker's is not swill. :rolleyes:

I would have picked it but it’s $100 around here since the price increase.....

Damn - it's been awhile I guess...didn't realize there was a price hike. $100 is mighty steep. :(

There was an article a few years ago about Makers Mark announcing they were going to start watering it down. I guess the backlash was strong enough that they reconsidered that idea.

I'll be honest, I couldn't tell you one whiskey from another. I was at a store this weekend where they had barrels from wall to wall with taps and shot glasses where you could sample the variety before making a decision. I can imagine the people that left the place liquored up. But it was fun to stand around and watch people sample them and listen to their comments. Truly, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between their best and a sample of Canadian Mist. Just assuming CM is low brow since it's like $6/bottle.

Which reminds me of an old joke about Kennedy's SS Oldsmobile, with a 4 on the floor and a 5th under the seat.

I can tell the difference between something decent like Woodford Reserve and the cheaper stuff, but there's certainly a point of diminishing returns for me. Bookers is an interesting case because it's the only 120+ proof booze I can pour over ice and still be smooth enough to enjoy. Not that I do it all that often, mind you! :)

So talk. Go. Fav?
Everyday smoker is Baccarat Churchill's. Cigar lounge smoke is usually something from the My Father's line. Not much for scotch, but have a bottle of Woodford Reserve I'll have a little sip of every now and then. I'm more of a gin, rum, or vodka guy. I still like my Crown Royal and will have a sip of that every now and then also. ;)

Padron X000 and Fuente Don Carlos or Hemingway series for me. Enjoy CAO MX2s occasionally.

I don't smoke everyday, but my "yard gars" are #59 Factory Throwouts and Te Amo Meditations (love the dirt flavor in the Mexican puros).

Starting to try lighter shades lately, kind of a floral smoke.

Padron X000 and Fuente Don Carlos or Hemingway series for me. Enjoy CAO MX2s occasionally.

I don't smoke everyday, but my "yard gars" are #59 Factory Throwouts and Te Amo Meditations (love the dirt flavor in the Mexican puros).

Starting to try lighter shades lately, kind of a floral smoke.

Sounds like your quite the cigar connoisseur. ;)

I like to try new stuff here and there or whatever a rep may be pushing when they visit the lounge. But for the most part I pretty much stay with my tried and true.

Nope. The people in bourbon county Kentucky would have you believe that but it isn't a criteria.

To be a bourbon:

1. It must be made in the United States. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't have to be made in Kentucky, although 95 percent of the world's supply is.

2. Aging must take place in a new, charred, oak barrel. Whiskey can be aged in used barrels and often is. The bourbon must be aged for at least two years to be considered a straight bourbon.

3. The mash must be at least 51 percent corn.

4. The whiskey cannot enter the barrel at higher than 125 proof. It cannot enter the bottle at a proof less than 80.

5. Nothing can be added but water and only to lessen the proof when necessary. Other whiskeys can add color and flavor. Not bourbon, it must be au naturel.
Jack Daniels is still not bourbon.

I did, post #16 but its getting harder and harder to find lately. I have the whole "race." ;)

Same here, on both counts. Until I found Weller’s, Blanton’s was my go to daily. Kind of pricey for that, but savoring a standard pour more than made up for not having three fingers worth.

Jack Daniels is still not bourbon.

Wikipedia said:
Jack Daniel's is a brand of Tennessee whiskey and the top selling American whiskey in the world. It is produced in Lynchburg, Tennessee, by the Jack Daniel Distillery, which has been owned by the Brown-Forman Corporation since 1956. Despite being the location of a major operational distillery, Jack Daniel's home county of Moore is a dry county, so the product is not available for purchase at stores or restaurants within the county.

The product meets the regulatory criteria for classification as a straight bourbon, though the company disavows this classification and markets it simply as Tennessee whiskey rather than as Tennessee bourbon.As defined in the North American Free Trade Agreement, Tennessee Whiskey is classified as a straight bourbon authorized to be produced in the state of Tennessee. The Tennessee Code Annotated (57-2-106) further defines Tennessee Whiskey as being filtered through charcoal made from sugar maple in addition to the above requirements (the "Lincoln County Process"). Packaged in square bottles, a total of 11 million cases of the flagship "Black Label" product were sold in the company's 2012 fiscal year, which ended April 30, 2013.

No, Tennessee isn't in Kentucky but oddly enough, the Cincinnati airport is. Go figure.

You know how stupid I feel going to google this now? Especially if it turns out to be not true.

You know how stupid I feel going to google this now? Especially if it turns out to be not true.

Oh it's true. I flew scheduled airline out of there a lot. Easy airport to fly in and out of. It's about 15 minutes from Cincinnati but in Erlanger KY. It's actually called Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky airport.

Last edited:
The Cincinnati metro airport is indeed in Kentucky.
Let's be very specific: the big Cincinnati international airport (Delta hub) is in Erlanger Kentucky. Cincinnati also has Cincinnati Lunken airport, which at one time was the commercial airline airport, and is now the primary GA airport - most corporate jets are based there.

So, yes, there are two (really 3 if you count Cincinnati West) metro airports in The Cincinnati area. At one time, ther was a fourth - Blue Ash. As GA folks, we will almost certainly fly into Lunken if going to Cincy, with Cincy West, Sporty's, and Hamilton as other options. CVG is almost totally airline traffic and the "heavy" GA jets that are loaded up for international/long-range travel that want the longer runways.

And that doesn't make you a lesser human being. Many people like Jack.

I don't, and because of that, I thought I didn't like any bourbon.
So I guess there really are always exceptions.

Jack isn't Bourbon anyway, Bourbon comes from Bourbon County, Kentucky, and nowhere else.

That you can't find your Chattanooga 1816 locally sounds like a good reason to fire up the airplane and go get some.

"...them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye..."

Back