IFR clearances app, sounds like a good idea.

And then export it to your GPS.

And then export it to your GPS.
With the existing tech allowing ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot to talk to the Flight Stream box or card, your idea isn't that far fetched.

With the existing tech allowing ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot to talk to the Flight Stream box or card, your idea isn't that far fetched.
I know. Once the interface is built Foreflight etc. will add the capability in.

Looks like a good idea,hope they disable auto correct.

The issue will be the willingness of the competing forces at FAA headquarters to sign off.

Why wouldn't our friends at the FAA sign off on this. It looks like it would make their life better.

Overall this sounds like a good idea.

No real reason light GA shouldn’t be allowed to leverage cellular data connections on the ground in place of crazy expensive CPDLC setups. With more and more avionics allowing phone/tablet data links I could see a future where a tablet acts as a sort of FMS to call up and get clearance/routing and then sync that to the avionics while sitting on the ramp.

get clearance/routing and then sync that to the avionics while sitting on the ramp
Sorta kinda could work today.

Once the clearance route has been transmitted, then it's simple copy paste to the Flight Plan edit box in your EFB of choice.

FF does that now anyhow when you file with their app and then the app receives the route the ATC system returns. And so far, it's been very rare that what FF got from ATC was not what I was given by CD.

And possibly in-flight filing if wx starts to drop.
For this app as described, that would depend in a big way on ability to maintain the net connection.

That being said, I know of a pilot or two that was flying low enough to get a cell data connection that stayed up long enough to file via ForeFlight and also get the ATC acknowledgement. Two or three minutes later, the controller was able to find it on their side.

For this app as described, that would depend in a big way on ability to maintain the net connection.

That being said, I know of a pilot or two that was flying low enough to get a cell data connection that stayed up long enough to file via ForeFlight and also get the ATC acknowledgement. Two or three minutes later, the controller was able to find it on their side.

I’m perfectly comfortable flying VFR below an overcast at 2000’ in the areas I fly 99% of the time and I also know I get a reliable cell signal (especially one consistent enough to pass something that would likely require very little data transmission) up to at least 3000-4000’. Would be pretty easy to have a route gen’ed up and merely make a quick edit to it if I noticed the ceiling and/or vis dropping or concerning radar returns along my route (Stratus and/or XM). Yes, a quick “pop-up” works too, until you get the “unable, contact FSS” which I have heard a couple of times (albeit very rarely). Granted, this is presupposing there isn’t some weird restriction or limitation that the FAA would impose on this app.

Back