Portable tug recommendation

Jim Ragain

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Ragain
Anyone have recommendation for a lightweight portable tug that will push/ pull a PA-32 on slight paved inclines? I need to be able to lift it in and out of a pickup. Thanks.

We used a old lawn tractor to pull the plane around the airport. Great for everything but pushing it back in. You better be a old farmer who's backed up haywagons for 50yrs to master that.

So, parked on craigslist and found a gas powered Nose Dragger one day. Our does have a couple different speeds each for forward and reverse - but always use the slowest. Excellent design, adjustable for different nose wheel sizes. Slight incline is no problem, just put some weight on the handle. Previous owner used to tug around a Bonanza.

But, I find it rather heavy to lift up and down. I can do it, but would not want lift it up and down very often. Lifting it to move it to your new hangar...sure. Lifting it for each flight - no way.

They do make a very compact cordless drill style one. Kinda spendy but sounds like exactly what you are searching for.
http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/ro...MIr5OSjf_u1wIVHp7ACh0yzwMYEAYYAiABEgI1BPD_BwE

Oh...ice + any of these tugs = no joy.

The price for that Sporty's product, over $1400, sounds very expensive for what it is!

I know more owners that have winches mounted in their hangar than power tows.

The price for that Sporty's product, over $1400, sounds very expensive for what it is!
Was out of my budget too. But if the OP needs portable this seems to be it unless you homebrew a cordless drill with the right drive hardware.

Back