What does the "M" mean on NAV2?

I actually understood what you meant, and I remember VOR and NDB navigation.

Good Lord I am getting old..... you kids stop all that noise..!!!

You're not alone my friend.

I actually understood what you meant, and I remember VOR and NDB navigation.

Good Lord I am getting old..... you kids stop all that noise..!!!

Back in my day we used stone charts. We actually engraved the charts on limestone. Then they came out with paper charts. Boy I tell ya, the stick and rudder skills really went out the window. And when they came out with VORs I was so mad. I told all my students that all this new tech was nothing but nonsense. Nothing but a distraction. VORs completely killed dead reckoning and pilotage skills. Anyone who has one in there plane is just an inferior pilot. Glass cockpits? Are you kidding me! Look at all those points of failure. Did someone make sure to do an FMEA on those things? Now I hear they have something called an iFad (I think that is what they are called). Claim they increase situational awareness or something. What a load of crap. Back in my day we used our eyes to spot traffic. Personally I think these new whirly doos and technologies like GPS and ADS-B are just a way for the ole government to spy on us.

Hey did I mention how much better the pilots were back in my day?

Can the device pickup airways in GPS mode?
Does it look like the display in post #10? If so, it's a display for a DME, which stands for distance measuring equipment. That measures your distance from a navaid such as a VORTAC, VOR-DME, or ILS-DME. It's distance only, no azimuth, so it could not be used to track an airway.

It also measures how quickly the distance is changing, which is the speed it displays. If you are on a course directly toward the navaid, the minutes tell you how long it will take you to get there.

DME that I'm familiar with does not derive any information from GPS in the real world. Whether it does so on whatever sim you're using, I have no idea. Even if it did, distance, speed, and time are still not enough information to track an airway.

Does it mean you should take another toke of Marijuana?

Has anybody figured out what is being discussed here yet? I’m actually curious as to what OP is questioning.

Back in my day we used stone charts. We actually engraved the charts on limestone. Then they came out with paper charts. Boy I tell ya, the stick and rudder skills really went out the window. And when they came out with VORs I was so mad. I told all my students that all this new tech was nothing but nonsense. Nothing but a distraction. VORs completely killed dead reckoning and pilotage skills. Anyone who has one in there plane is just an inferior pilot. Glass cockpits? Are you kidding me! Look at all those points of failure. Did someone make sure to do an FMEA on those things? Now I hear they have something called an iFad (I think that is what they are called). Claim they increase situational awareness or something. What a load of crap. Back in my day we used our eyes to spot traffic. Personally I think these new whirly doos and technologies like GPS and ADS-B are just a way for the ole government to spy on us.

Hey did I mention how much better the pilots were back in my day?

Has anybody figured out what is being discussed here yet? I’m actually curious as to what OP is questioning.

Please refrain from trying to get threads back on track. So much effort has been expended on derailing it. Do you want these efforts to go to waste? Sheesh!

It's minutes it's a king radio thanks. I love being able to hold now without gps.

no not being played I'm meant can a person who talks funny pass a check ride to be a real pilot. However, you are right as there aren't too many sim people here unless there is a sim forum I'm missing.

no not being played I'm meant can a person who talks funny pass a check ride to be a real pilot. However, you are right as there aren't too many sim people here unless there is a sim forum I'm missing.
Don't let the grouches get you down.

I don't think there is a sim forum on this board.

And I'm not sure about "talks funny", I've heard plenty of "talks funny" on the radio - depends on how funny, and why.

I've had a PA-28-151 (with 2 of us on board) to 17,500 before, using a combination of patience and ridge lift (like a glider) over northern CO. Fun!
I caught some wave near Las Vegas, NM once that had me going up with the throttle at idle. At 17,500 I pointed the nose down. I've also thermaled it over the Snowy Range in the summer. Get out of the downdrafts quick and it works.

Back