I'm about to buy me a tug....

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
OK, guyz, I need a tug real bad. I was sore for the entire day after the last time I pushed the plane back I by my ownself, and besides there may come a time when I can't put it back by myself.

The plane is a Cherokee heavy. A 1968 Piper Cherokee 235 that has wheel pants where there is no snow around. My hangar is a charged hangar that has a concrete pad, level with the concrete taxiway outside and there is no lip on the door opening.

The wheel pant on the nose wheel means I can't use a tug like the Robotow that has the rubber wheel that spins the nose wheel. I need a tug that lights the nose wheel or attaches to the tow bar fitting on the nose strut.

The Minimax that uses a drill is out because of the bad review and it looks like it's so fiddly it'll drive me nuts. Besides I have no power in the ghetto hangar so I'd have to charge the battery at home.

I need a gas engine.

I think my choices are the Nose Dragger Dragger NDG-6 and the Power Tow.

I'm going to pull the trigger on the Nose-Dragger Dragger NDG-6 unless you have better advice.
https://dragger.com/product/nose-dragger-dragger-gas-ndg/

Any tug owners in the area please advise.

Can't offer anything about the nose-dragger but I can say that I have a power tow and love it. It starts on the first pull every time. You can throw mo-gas or sumped 100LL in it. It easily pushes my 310 up a slight incline into the hangar and is very maneuverable.

This is what I have and is probably over-kill for you? They may have cheaper options for lighter planes.
http://www.powertow.com/65-EZ-Powertow-Aircraft-Tug_p_21.html

This is the only pic I could find of it in my phone.
IMG_4827.PNG

I was looking for a powered tug for my 182 with wheel pants. I've reviewed a lot of options. May be Mickey Mouse but I've finalized upon getting an old riding mower for $100 (rusted or no deck) and using it. My tow/push bar has a handle that is removable and will fit a piece of metal conduit perfectly. All I need to do is fab a bracket to attach the conduit to the front (and optionally the back) of the mower.

I was looking for a powered tug for my 182 with wheel pants. I've reviewed a lot of options. May be Mickey Mouse but I've finalized upon getting an old riding mower for $100 (rusted or no deck) and using it. My tow/push bar has a handle that is removable and will fit a piece of metal conduit perfectly. All I need to do is fab a bracket to attach the conduit to the front (and optionally the back) of the mower.
I almost did similar with a powered snow blower until I saw this one for sale used from a guy that has a baron. I got a great deal and didn't have to do any of my fabulous welding. :)

I used to pull a 401 around with a golf cart and those work nicely in that you can also drive around the airport in them.

I have the nosedragger. Make sure your model has variable speed, mine does not. My T handle is to short, you have to lean over. This will get fixed with a welded extension.

It moves the plane easy enough and hooks up/ disconnects quickly.

We have an old single-speed battery powered nose-dragger. Works well enough.

If you don't have power in the hangar, you'll probably be best off with a power-tow.

Pretty common from what I've seen at airports. :thumbsup:

OK, guyz, I need a tug real bad. I was sore for the entire day after the last time I pushed the plane back I by my ownself, and besides there may come a time when I can't put it back by myself.

The plane is a Cherokee heavy. A 1968 Piper Cherokee 235 that has wheel pants where there is no snow around. My hangar is a charged hangar that has a concrete pad, level with the concrete taxiway outside and there is no lip on the door opening.

The wheel pant on the nose wheel means I can't use a tug like the Robotow that has the rubber wheel that spins the nose wheel. I need a tug that lights the nose wheel or attaches to the tow bar fitting on the nose strut.

The Minimax that uses a drill is out because of the bad review and it looks like it's so fiddly it'll drive me nuts. Besides I have no power in the ghetto hangar so I'd have to charge the battery at home.

I need a gas engine.

I'm going to pull the trigger on the Nose-Dragger Dragger NDG-6 unless you have better advice.

My 210 is a handful to get up the slight incline into the hangar and impossible when Icey in the winter. I can get it positioned in front of the hangar ok but then it gets tough. I did not think a small tug would be adequate on the ice and since I did not want to spend a lot of money I mounted a boat winch in the back of the hangar. I hook under the tail and just winch it in when I am alone or when it is slick in front of the hangar. I have an extra rope segment to extend the winches range further from the hangar door when it is icey. Someday I may upgrade to an electric winch but for now I am happy with how it works, spent less than $20.

My 210 is a handful to get up the slight incline into the hangar and impossible when Icey in the winter. I can get it positioned in front of the hangar ok but then it gets tough. I did not think a small tug would be adequate on the ice and since I did not want to spend a lot of money I mounted a boat winch in the back of the hangar. I hook under the tail and just winch it in when I am alone or when it is slick in front of the hangar. I have an extra rope segment to extend the winches range further from the hangar door when it is icey. Someday I may upgrade to an electric winch but for now I am happy with how it works, spent less than $20.

I need to pull my 182 out of my hangar. Is is OK to tow on the rear tie down hook?

I need a gas engine.

I have a gas powered Power Tow for sale cheap-$250. Currently it is set up for Cessna. PM if interested.

I need to pull my 182 out of my hangar. Is is OK to tow on the rear tie down hook?
That is where I hook to pull my 210 into the hangar and it weighs more than a 182. I would not think twice about hooking on the rear tie down.

Thanks, that helps my decision, alot.

Can't offer anything about the nose-dragger but I can say that I have a power tow and love it. It starts on the first pull every time. You can throw mo-gas or sumped 100LL in it. It easily pushes my 310 up a slight incline into the hangar and is very maneuverable.

This is what I have and is probably over-kill for you? They may have cheaper options for lighter planes.
http://www.powertow.com/65-EZ-Powertow-Aircraft-Tug_p_21.html

This is the only pic I could find of it in my phone.
View attachment 58217

+1 for the Powertow. I have the 40-EZ and it works just fine even with the slight incline going up to my hangar...:yes:

We had teh discussion on the Piper group and decided that the tail hook is well connected to the frame so it's OK to pull by it.

I was thinking of putting a 12v power winch in my hangar but with no power available it'd be a pain.

We had teh discussion on the Piper group and decided that the tail hook is well connected to the frame so it's OK to pull by it.

I was thinking of putting a 12v power winch in my hangar but with no power available it'd be a pain.

How about a 12v winch and use a battery booster pack. You can recharge it in car or at home.

Get a riding mower or a golf cart and weld a pintle hitch to it, cheap and it works great.

Craigslist and like a few hundred bucks

Back