Pros and Cons of living full-time in a Motorhome?

I've come upon three accidents that I distinctly remember in the last 10 years where a diesel pusher motor coach rear ended the back of a semi, ran off the corner of a twisty canyon road, and ran off a bridge and hit the other side of the embankment. The driver/passenger compartments were unrecognizable as was most of the coaches. In one case (the canyon accident) I saw the drivers seat laying out in a field approx 100 ft. from the badly totaled coach.

Not saying a semi truck wouldn't suffer same or similar fate, but I've also come across some pretty nasty semi crashes where the driver walked away. It's just nice to have some protection (motor) out in front of you if you get my drift.
We do have our oldest drivers in our larger coaches. and of course any bad crash, those who walk away from them do so by Gods good graces.

When we're traveling we see more truck accidents than coach accidents. Simply because of the numbers on the road. and the drivers got to get there now schedules. The later years trucks are made from lighter and lighter weight materials. This year in B.C we saw three trucks burned totally to the ground, all that was left was a molten mass of aluminum, and burning magnesium.
And yes we see motorhomes catch fire too, mostly in the engine compartment of the back of the refer compartment.
All you can do is drive safe, keep your head out, When you wreck any of these large vehicles at highway speeds stuff is going to happen like never before.
But we mostly encounter fender bender type accidents, every thing that a car at low speeds can hit on our coach is a bolt on components, compartment doors, lower front and rear caps, are all bolt on pretty stuff. that you can have in your hand in two weeks.
As for trucks to start their fuel tanks are down low out side where they can be filled easy, ours is dead center of the frame rails. 18 inches above ground.
Motor homes usually burn because of poor maintenance usually leaks (propane and fuel).
you find the newer coaches are all electric, gas/propane/ and electric referes are notorious for starting fires. as are water heaters, you find them in all types Of RVs.

Today on our way back from Marysville shopping trip we stopped and saw our friend who has a motor home sales and service business. he had a part we had ordered.
So I asked about the large diesel puller Class C. He says they are a great favorite of the carnival operators, they live in the truck, and have their ride in the trailer, they set up, stay a couple days tear down and move on, their equipment is heavy, and they don't care for the truck very well, so he will not take them on trade, because it costs too much to bring them up to a sellable standard.
He also told us he very seldom sees a high end diesel puller on the market. he did not tell us why.
He also said he only sees over built box trucks. (his term)

This guy has been in coach sales nearly 50 years and most of that in one place, You can't do that and not be a great place to buy a coach.

Thanks, we were never that long. The below is interesting when you consider there can be (usually are) multiple campgrounds per National Park. Seems like under 40 is most available. But, published policy and reality are two different things.

From camperreport.com:

Here are the averages:

RVs up to 12′ in length fit in every national park campground in the United States, although there are a few campgrounds that don’t allow RVs at all and are tent only.

RVs up to 19′ in length fit in 98% of all national park service campgrounds.

RVs up to 25′ in length fit in 93% of all national park campgrounds

RVs up to 29′ in length fit in 84% of all national park campgrounds

RVs up to 32′ in length fit in 81% of all national park campgrounds

RVs up to 35′ in length fit in 73% of all national park campgrounds

RVs up to 37′ in length fit in 60% of all national park campgrounds

RVs up to 40′ in length fit in 53% of all national park campgrounds

RVs up to 41′ in length fit in 7% of all national park campgrounds
I'd bet there are a dozen of those RV.com sites all with their opinions, The grand Dady of them all is https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/92.cfm

Log on, there is a huge amount of info, in the members

Most everybody I know with the big coaches and toy boxes find a big rig RV friendly resort near the National Parks, and then do a day trip and drive/ride their motorcycles or toads through the parks. That's what we'd always do when road tripping with our friends to the Arches, Zion, Tetons, or YellowStone. It's nice on a bike to be able to pass all the slow ass motorhomes and the cars behind them and not get stuck in 3 miles of traffic when riding through those areas.

Those camps fill fast during the season, and most are reservation only April thru October. act accordingly.
We normally do as you said. we camp away from the park, and use the Jeep for seeing the park.

When you travel in a large coach of any kind you are limited where you can go. It's nearly a requirement you have a much smaller vehicle to explore, run shopping. You never want to shop for food stuffs at the camp ground stores. so we have the Jeep. but there are draw backs of towing. 4 down you can't back up. 4 up on a trailer you can back up, but what to do with it in camp. we even went with a motorcycle on the hitch carrier. but when it rains, yuck. big box trailer full of toys nice, but a pain to deal with, I've had more trailer tires go bad than than any thing else I tow.
Tire pressure and temp sensors are a must. several good products on the market. we have a 10 unit set. 4 for the jeep/trailer, and 6 for the coach.
When towing a trailer the size in post one, use surge brakes, electrical seem to always need fixing,
Hydraulic disk type surge brakes never seem to need any thing except inspections once per year. yes they will heat going down long grades. You can pin them out.

Last edited:
here is a rollover coach accident, every one walked.

too fast to be able to control the coach with a flat front tire.
Had this guy been a Newmar he would have had comfort steering and that flat would have been a non event.
Comfort steering is a computer aided steering system on all the bigger Newmars

Those camps fill fast during the season, and most are reservation only April thru October. act accordingly.
We normally do as you said. we camp away from the park, and use the Jeep for seeing the park.
When traveling with my friends, we've never had a problem finding a place to park. Many instances we've pulled in without any notice and they accommodated us. You probably know as well as I do, that most of your big rig RVs (like what I pictured) are kinda far and few between compared to your regular pushers and smaller motorhomes. Most of the places we stayed had pull-thrus specifically made for the big rigs. The rest of the time we'd just un-hitch the trailer and park in the back of the park somewhere and then pull onto a regular pad.

When you travel in a large coach of any kind you are limited where you can go. It's nearly a requirement you have a much smaller vehicle to explore, run shopping. You never want to shop for food stuffs at the camp ground stores.

Most of my friends coaches had full size refrigerators in addition to under coach freezers. We'd load up on meat for the freezer and whatever else would fit in the fridge needed for a trip, and that would usually last us for a good week or so. Then as you say, we'd use our bikes or toads to hit the local stores for anything else we'd need to prepare our meals or whatever. Yeah... you're absolutely right, never shop at a campground. I remember paying $5 for a bag of marshmallows just because the women wanted to make smores.

Tire pressure and temp sensors are a must.

Most definitely. I used to drive a semi hauling heavy equipment for the oil field. I was very adamant always inspecting my tires and checking my pressures. Blown tires (from being under inflated) are one of the leading causes of semi and motorhome crashes.

When towing a trailer the size in post one, use surge brakes, electrical seem to always need fixing

My trailer will have air brakes. Many of our smaller trailers for our backhoes, small dozers, etc. had surge brakes and pintle hitches. They work very well.

omfort steering is a computer aided steering system on all the bigger Newmars

Damn Tom... you sure are trying to sell me on the Newmar aren't ya? :lol:

FYI... the newer series of trucks that my coach would be based on has the same technology. The advantage with the NewMar is that the tag axles (as do most of your luxury coaches) also steer which would be a nice feature to have. You're not scrubbing your tires as much.

This year in B.C we saw three trucks burned totally to the ground, all that was left was a molten mass of aluminum, and burning magnesium

Yep... when those semis burn there's not much left of them but a piling heap of molten metal and fiberglass.

So I asked about the large diesel puller Class C. He says they are a great favorite of the carnival operators, they live in the truck, and have their ride in the trailer, they set up, stay a couple days tear down and move on, their equipment is heavy, and they don't care for the truck very well, so he will not take them on trade, because it costs too much to bring them up to a sellable standard.

You're friend is talking about the toter homes. Those are a dime-a-dozen among the carnival crowd. I guarantee you there is not a single carnival operator in the entire US that is using a rig like what I pictured for their carnival travels. You'll most often find the rigs like what I'll be getting at the major NasCar races, rodeos, horse shows, or used as traveling offices/living quarters for farm/industrial equipment dealers when they hit their trade shows and whatnot. I see them all the time when I go to SEMA in Vegas. There are several rigs here in town just like what I'll be getting that are owned by the custom motorcycle shops. Same goes for the sand rail guys. You see rigs like mine along with regular coaches out at the dunes all the time.

I'd like to see you invest your cash wisely, it will make your dream come true quicker and last longer.

I did not know Newmar existed until I saw the one we bought, Our friend that sells coaches highly recommended them, And we bought.
we went thru the wake up period because our coach was in heated storage for 9 years prior to us buying. We bought from a private owner, who had paid 230k in 2000 for it then added 18k of up grades. Started their big adventure to Ak.they got as far as Prince Rupert BC then on a charter boat fishing the guy had a detached retina, she had to drive it home to Bellingham Wa. they put it in storage until he could get hid eye fixed, before that happened he became Parkinson's.
So they placed it for sale, kept reducing it price, until we saw it in a park and sell, and went WOW what's that.
We did our home work, fell in love with it.
The best part of the old coach is that it takes the beating we give it and just comes back for more.

Log on, there is a huge amount of info, in the members

I'm on that site. There's only one of two people on that site that have a rig similar to what I'll be getting. Several of those guys have converted semis to tow the big 5'vers. I thought about going that route also, so I picked their brains on that avenue. I got a lot of information off that site for my satellite internet setup. There's a couple RV friendly dealers on there that can hook me up when I'm ready.

So they placed it for sale, kept reducing it price, until we saw it in a park and sell, and went WOW what's that.
We did our home work, fell in love with it. The best part of the old coach is that it takes the beating we give it and just comes back for more.

One of my good friends put almost 500,000 miles on an American Eagle coach. He now has a Prevost that's been giving him nothing but problems. He said his American Eagle rarely gave him any issues. Some coaches can last you a lifetime and some are destined for the scrap heap. Newmar has always built good trailers and I've seen the quality of their coaches. They put out a nice product.

For the every day usefulness I don't see your coach having any advantage over the Class A . Your big diesel may have a better tow capability,, but will you ever need it? 15k is a lot of tow weight and that is what a Essex has. maintenance is a wash, your coach has less living room. but will probably turn a shorter corner than a 45' coach.
and yes steerable tags are a great advantage to not be required to lift the tags in tight quarters.
I believe that the increase in living room and the better floor plans are a better advantage to your full time plans. than the truck type coach.

I've looked at them all Tom. The luxury coaches are nice, but I don't need all that frilly crap even if they are somewhat cheap to buy. My needs are simple, and the Renegade or HaulMark series matches those needs. Either one of them would last me for the rest of my life. I've always believed in overkill. I'd rather have more truck than I need for towing or load carrying capabilities than I'd probably ever actually use. But if I the day would ever come that I do need those capabilities, it's nice to know that I have them.

Yep... when those semis burn there's not much left of them but a piling heap of molten metal and fiberglass.
You're friend is talking about the toter homes. Those are a dime-a-dozen among the carnival crowd. I guarantee you there is not a single carnival operator in the entire US that is using a rig like what I pictured for their carnival travels. You'll most often find the rigs like what I'll be getting at the major NasCar races, rodeos, horse shows, or used as traveling offices/living quarters for farm/industrial equipment dealers when they hit their trade shows and whatnot. I see them all the time when I go to SEMA in Vegas. There are several rigs here in town just like what I'll be getting that are owned by the custom motorcycle shops. Same goes for the sand rail guys. You see rigs like mine along with regular coaches out at the dunes all the time.
Your picture in post one is a freightlinner box truck chassis, not an over the road longhaul truck

Your picture in post one is a freightlinner box truck chassis, not an over the road longhaul truck
Wrong! My coach is based on either a Volvo or Freightliner class 8 chassis. The exact same truck you see many of the long haulers driving.

Now they do make what they call a "SuperC" which is a single axle coach based on the medium duty truck chassis, which is the "box truck" chassis you're referring too.

renegadesmall.png

Mine will be a full blown class 8 semi chassis capable of hauling/towing a GCWR of 80,000 lbs. with hopefully a 600 HP Cummins or Detroit if I can find one.
  • Choice of Freightliner Cascadia or Volvo VNL Chassis
  • Automotive Engineered Cab Structure
  • Premium Sound and Thermal Insulation Package
  • Driver and Passenger Side Cab Doors
  • Power Windows, Locks and Heated Remote Control Outside Mirrors
  • Tilt and Telescopic Steering Wheel
  • Electronic Cruise Control
  • Full Air Brakes with 4 wheel ABS and Engine Compression Brake Systems
  • Air Ride Rear Suspension
  • Aluminum Wheels with Center Caps – Front and Outer Rear Wheel Locations
  • Ultraleather Air Ride Captain’s Chairs with Heat, Massage and Swivel Pedestals
  • Xite G3 Dash Infotainment System with 7” Touch Screen and Color Monitor
  • Rand McNally GPS System with Lifetime Subscription RV Navigation Maps
  • Touch Screen Multi-camera Management System

Last edited:
Wrong! My coach is based on either a Volvo or Freightliner class 8 chassis. The exact same truck you see many of the long haulers driving.

Now they do make what they call a "SuperC" which is a single axle coach based on the medium duty truck chassis, which is the "box truck" chassis you're referring too.

renegadesmall.png

Mine will be a full blown class 8 semi chassis capable of hauling/towing a GCWR of 80,000 lbs. with hopefully a 600 HP Cummins or Detroit if I can find one.
  • Choice of Freightliner Cascadia or Volvo VNL Chassisl
Good luck with that.. these are the trucks that are lined up at motor trucks for emission repairs. they have 5 people doing nothing but emissions due to DEF / emissions problems.

renegadesmall.png

• Choice of Freightliner Cascadia or Volvo VNL Chassis
  • Automotive Engineered Cab Structure
  • Premium Sound and Thermal Insulation Package
  • Driver and Passenger Side Cab Doors
  • Power Windows, Locks and Heated Remote Control Outside Mirrors
  • Tilt and Telescopic Steering Wheel
  • Electronic Cruise Control
  • Full Air Brakes with 4 wheel ABS and Engine Compression Brake Systems
  • Air Ride Rear Suspension
  • Aluminum Wheels with Center Caps – Front and Outer Rear Wheel Locations
  • Ultraleather Air Ride Captain’s Chairs with Heat, Massage and Swivel Pedestals
  • Xite G3 Dash Infotainment System with 7” Touch Screen and Color Monitor
  • Rand McNally GPS System with Lifetime Subscription RV Navigation Maps
  • Touch Screen Multi-camera Management System

Wrong! My coach is based on either a Volvo or Freightliner class 8 chassis. The exact same truck you see many of the long haulers driving
Show me one for sale?

Show me one for sale?

Here's a 2018 model with all the specs so you can have a more better understanding of what these motor coaches are. Somebody's been feeding you full of s**t if they're telling you they're mounted on a box truck chassis. You do know what a Volvo VNL truck is... right? Same goes for the Freightliner Cascadia series? They're both regular production semis driven daily by long haul truckers nationwide. Now are these coaches as frilly and ostentatious as the high-end luxury coaches are? No... they're just very well built no-frills coaches designed to last a very long time, and are appointed with top-of-the-line name brand (easily fixable/replaceable) appliances. That's all I need. I don't need to impress anybody!

I remember researching the Wynns when my wife and I were discussing living in an RV before she came down with cancer. Her being sick kind of put the kibosh to our dreams. Both my businesses are pretty much self supporting, so that leaves me ample time to play and look for new ventures. One business I'll be starting while on the road is traveling from place to place YouTubing the YouTubers. It will be a mixture of Mike Rowe's (Dirty Jobs), Anthony Bourdain's (Parts Unknown) and Guy Fieri's (Guy's Family Road Trip or DDD). The content I will be providing might possibly even be reality TV worthy, but definitely will be YouTube worthy and should develop in to a good subscriber base and following much like the Wynns have built.
Do you have a name for your YouTubing Adventure? Be sure to let us know when you start posting videos.

Having a toy hauler or stacker trailer is key to making something like this work, at least for me. If I were adventuring about the country, I'd want my motorcycle, hang glider, wind surfer, bicycles, etc., to be with me. A jeep Wrangler would also be a nice toy to bring along.

Lol this is such a circular argument. AZBB obviously wants to go his route and Tom says to buy the Newmar. You two obviously don't agree with each other so what is the point of continuing it argue over it lol

I don't think they're arguing, but it is educational for those of us who have thought about doing this. I think they both have convinced me to go the hotel route! :D

I don't think they're arguing, but it is educational for those of us who have thought about doing this. I think they both have convinced me to go the hotel route! :D

It is interesting...but still very much a circular "debate" for lack of a better term I guess.

I work out of state and have full timed for years in ours when working. I use the plane to commute home on weekends or when not working. I find that I am sedentary in front of the tv when in the rv which has likely been the reason for weight gain. at home I am much more active.

For month to month I have seen rates from 350-1200 and heard of much higher in some areas.

The home appreciates while the rv depreciates.

I have plenty of tools at home while much less in the rv.

A traditional roof on the home is easier to keep from leaking than a rv flat roof.

Even with 50 amp service it is easy to overload the rv wiring.

The house has amenities lacking in the RV such as a fireplace, hot tub, big outside grill, big very comfortable bed, etc.

I started RVing in a truck camper, then a class C, and now a 5th wheel. Wife wants the Class A (hopefully something smaller and less "luxury" than Tom's Newmar, since our RV is also my hunting camp ... or I end up with another truck camper AND a Class A), so I have enjoyed this thread, after it settled down into a info sharing mode.

It is interesting...but still very much a circular "debate" for lack of a better term I guess.

Perhaps so, but these two are very knowledgeable and I am enjoying reading about their experiences.

here is a rollover coach accident, every one walked.

too fast to be able to control the coach with a flat front tire.
Had this guy been a Newmar he would have had comfort steering and that flat would have been a non event.
Comfort steering is a computer aided steering system on all the bigger Newmars

Wow..... a real eye opener for sure.

I saw a pickup pulling a small bumper pull, and a tire blew on the trailer. He got it stopped, but the truck was on its wheels while the trailer was on its side and all in the middle of the median.

Do you have a name for your YouTubing Adventure? Be sure to let us know when you start posting videos.

It will be awhile before anything is posted as it will take me awhile to gather content. You don't want to go to a channel with only one or two videos. I'd like to have at least 30 videos in the can before I really start promoting it.

Having a toy hauler or stacker trailer is key to making something like this work, at least for me. If I were adventuring about the country, I'd want my motorcycle, hang glider, wind surfer, bicycles, etc., to be with me. A jeep Wrangler would also be a nice toy to bring along.

I'll be carrying an S2000 Honda convertible, Polaris General UTV, Honda Goldwing, KTM 1290R, and a 450cc trail bike yet to be determined. That along with air compressor, welder, and all the tools necessary to maintain all the toys and the coach.

I don't think they're arguing, but it is educational for those of us who have thought about doing this. I think they both have convinced me to go the hotel route!

Have already done the hotel/resort/B&B route. I like sleeping in my own bed, cooking in my own kitchen, taking a crap in my own toilet... you get the drift. ;)

The house has amenities lacking in the RV such as a fireplace, hot tub, big outside grill, big very comfortable bed, etc.

I"ll have everything but the hot tub or the swimming pool, which BTW I won't miss one bit! I'll have my big Weber grill and smoker, portable fire pit, and of coarse a nice big comfy mattress to sleep on. Pretty much what I already have in or around the house now.

Last edited:
I'll be carrying an S2000 Honda convertible, Polaris General UTV, Honda Goldwing, KTM 1290R, and a 450cc trail bike yet to be determined. That along with air compressor, welder, and all the tools necessary to maintain all the toys and the coach.

That will work! :rockon:

The bed In rv's is commonly a little smaller such as a queen rather than a king. it also commonly lacks a box spring. One thing I have not seen in a rv is a waveless waterbed.

Holy cow, a million bucks!

For that kind of dough I'd think you could ride in a limo, stay in nice hotels, and have some guy driving a semi full of your toys to wherever you want them.

https://www.newmarcorp.com/luxury-motor-coaches/king-aire/

What's funny is that you can pay a million dollars for a home in CA or an apartment in NY and that motor coach will probably have more room and be far more luxurious. ;)

The bed In rv's is commonly a little smaller such as a queen rather than a king. it also commonly lacks a box spring. One thing I have not seen in a rv is a waveless waterbed.

I'll have a super queen or mini king bed in mine. If I don't like it, there are plenty of custom mattress makers that will build a mattress to fit your needs. So it's a non-issue.

We go camping to get away. they never build hotels where there are no people.

Can you say heavy? they do come with sleep number beds.
the bed in our coach sleeps better that our bed at home.

What we take with us depends upon where we are going and what we will be doing.
Traveling? we tow the Jeep. 4 wheeling? we take the flat bed trailer the quads and the kids.
trips made to order type thing. :) we see no reason to carry it all, all the time.

Can you say heavy? they do come with sleep number beds.
the bed in our coach sleeps better that our bed at home.
I understand the weight issue. The bed in our newmar most definitely is not anywhere near as comfortable as we have at home. nor as large. .. Sounds likethey did better with the class a over our mountainaire 5th Wheel.

The home appreciates while the rv depreciates.

I have plenty of tools at home while much less in the rv.

A traditional roof on the home is easier to keep from leaking than a rv flat roof.

Even with 50 amp service it is easy to overload the rv wiring.

Very valid points, we still feel we are away form home when we travel. plus we need a home base to do our restoration work. care for our equipment. and a place to spend the holidays that we call home.
AZblackbird will use his coach in a much different way than what Barb and I do. I had hoped to show he would be more comfortable in a coach made for full timing, and show a better buy. thus make his dream come true for a longer time.
I've tried to pass on the experiences we've had plus those of our full timing friends. I've tried to show that he is spending a LOT of money over buying his needs, money he'll need in later life, because life on the road is not cheap.
Now that readers are thinking I'm just arguing I'll no longer post in this thread. C ya

@Tom-D

I liked the point and counter point you and AZBB were going through.
Very interesting. I have debated getting a Class A RV or a yacht (I lean toward a yacht) as a portable second home to use as a regional base. I can see myself fulltime in a yacht, but only part time in the RV.
I hope you and AZBB keep brining up good points!

Tim

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

AZblackbird will use his coach in a much different way than what Barb and I do. I had hoped to show he would be more comfortable in a coach made for full timing, and show a better buy. thus make his dream come true for a longer time.

Here's my Renegade motor coach interior...

renegadeinterior.jpg

Here's the top-of-the-line "NewMar KingAire" motor coach interior that you keep trying to push on me. What am I missing? A few feet in the living room. Not a big deal, believe me! Especially when it will only be me (or an adventurous lady) living in it, and we'll be outside/outdoors 90% of the time anyways.

kingairinterior.jpg

I'll have the same appliances, same heating/cooling system, same satellite system, same generator, etc. etc. as the NewMar has, only I'll have the capability to haul more weight and tow heavier loads along with the additional safety factor (engine in front) than I would with the bus. If that's all not conducive to full-time living and traveling, then I don't know what else to tell you Tom. Like I said... I'm not out to impress anyone. I don't need all that cosmetic frilly foo-foo crap you find in the higher end coaches. I'm a meat and potatoes guy!

Back