Get your tailwheel ticket.

Looky here Ryan, years the Aero Club had a T-34A for like $9/HR! Now this was years ago obviously, but when I finally decided, it was GONE! As in GONE! So you need to ge that STearman ride quicker than "very soon". You've been warned. ;)

I agree with a couple of statements.
Flying a taildragger WILL make you a better pilot. That can probably be said of a lot of other endorsements, as well.
If you are after a TW endorsement just so you can brag about it that's fine, otherwise don't do it unless you can stay very proficient at it.
The road to ground loop Hell is paved with guys who used to fly taildraggers, back in the day.

At least taildraggers don't have to worry about hitting nosewheel first and wheelbarrowing until the nose gear gives or you get a prop strike like some folks I know of.

At least taildraggers don't have to worry about hitting nosewheel first and wheelbarrowing until the nose gear gives or you get a prop strike like some folks I know of.

It's quite possible to get a prop strike with a taildragger. Trust me...

It's quite possible to get a prop strike with a taildragger. Trust me...

Sure it is. It is also possible to flip over a nose dragger. I've never really had a problem wheelbarrowing a taildragger and it is much harder to get a prop strike unless you are just along for the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure it is. It is also possible to flip over a nose dragger. I've never really had a problem wheelbarrowing a taildragger and it is much harder to get a prop strike unless you are just along for the ride.
tail draggers do blow over easier.

You can also flip one by braking too hard.

Trained properly, short of mechanical failure or an unbriefed passenger pushing on them, you shouldn't. I've been in plenty of cases where hard taking in a t/w was required. If with full back stick the tail starts to rise, you either ease up on the brakes or use a burst of power...or both, if necessary. Novel concepts to non-tailwheel drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One thing that I've noticed with tailwheel pilots is that they know how to use their feet properly.

Tailwheel training should be at the initial presolo stage. Nosewheels can be flown later.

People kept saying it:

"Flying tailwheel makes you a better pilot."
"I never really knew how to land a plane until I learned to land a tailwheel."

IT'S ALL TRUE. Most of you know already, but I just found out. If you haven't yet, go do it. Run, don't walk. Jus' sayin'.

R

Now go get checked out in a Pitts...

Taking the money you spent getting the tail wheel endorsement and spend it training for an instrument rating seems like a better way to avoid dying, this making one a safer, and therefore better pilot.

You are totally why I love POA. :)

Thanks for sharing, definitely want to get my TW endorsement when I get a chance. Still want to do some flying up in Maine next time I go up to visit the fiance's family too

Look me up when you do. I rent my 430W C172L for $60 dry. It's a pretty good platform to bomb around Maine in.

I must be the weird one here. The only difference I saw between a tail wheel and a nose wheel was the view out front when on the ground. Both types flew the same.

Turning on the ground was a little different.

Then again, the only tail wheels I flew were a Piper Pawnee and a PA-18....and the super cub was on skis.

I imagine a B-17 or a Beech 18 would be a little different.

Not in all airplanes. Look at this pic looking out the windscreen while sitting on the ground in this tail wheel airplane.

Attachments

• 2017-07-20 (1).png
    2017-07-20 (1).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
Not all fly the same. I flew an airplane that the nose wheel would turn when pushing on the rudder. This caused the nose of the airplane to be pushed around by this. I then flew this same airplane as a tail wheel or converted to a tail wheel. It flew much better as a tail wheel not having the nose wheel out front.

One thing that I've noticed with tailwheel pilots is that they know how to use their feet properly.

In the private pilot world that is probably true.

Otherwise I am guessing you never flew in strong cross winds. A number of times I have been on very short final, one rudder pedal glued to the floor. 5 -10 inches difference in manifold pressure between the engines and using ailerons and bank angle to keep the plane lined up with the runway and hoping there is a slight drop in wind speed so I can get the plane lined up with the center line at touch down. Amazing how much better the heater works in those conditions.....

My tail wheel training consisting of me sitting in the plane and the guy showing me where everything is, then a 1 minute talk on landing. I never finished the endorsement part. But I don't have a need to fly tail wheels. I almost had the chance to learn in a AN-2 but maintenance happened.

In the private pilot world that is probably true.

Otherwise I am guessing you never flew in strong cross winds.

I've flown enough crosswinds in the last 44 years. You can tell if a guy's flown tailwheel or not just as soon as he's taken the runway.

I've flown enough crosswinds in the last 44 years. You can tell if a guy's flown tailwheel or not just as soon as he's taken the runway.
You typically tell as soon as he starts to taxi.

What makes someone a better pilot? To me the best pilots don’t crash and die. Does flying a tail wheel airplane keep you from crashing and dying? I think not.
One of the chief killers of pilots is inadvertent flight into instrument meterological conditions. Flying a tail wheel aircraft will not help you survive this. Taking the money you spent getting the tail wheel endorsement and spend it training for an instrument rating seems like a better way to avoid dying, this making one a safer, and therefore better pilot.

I contend that any additional ratings or endorsements make you a better pilot in some way.

My extensive tailwheel time, I believe, prepared me very well for stepping into the Mooney which of course moved me another step with a complex endorsement.

I believe that enough tailwheel time, most especially in gusty and/or variable crosswind prepares you for most anything in the way of crosswind in a tricycle plane. I did my transition training into the Mooney, by necessity on a day with crazy crosswinds. I was worried to death, but found crosswind a non event due to my tailwheel training. Any advanced training leading to a rating or endorsement is not a bad thing.

Back