Anybody installed Trio or Tru Trak in Cessna yet?

sardonux

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mr Smith
I'm starting my evaluation process for a new autopilot. I'm using my [newer-to-me] C182F to commute and single pilot IFR is a requirement. I've already updated my panel with an Aspen as well as dual IFD540s with the intention of autopilot next.

All I've learned is that the next gen of GPSS-enabled autopilots don't always play nice with an Aspen PFD. I've "heard" from my avionics shop that the Tru Trak is looking at integrating with the Aspen.

I've heard that the new Trio/Tru Trak are both somewhat button-intensive to operate unless they are integrated. "Heard" makes me skeptical - I want to talk to anyone who has flown with these. Other options are significantly more expensive and I just want to know how long I need to save.

Anybody have experience with these units?

I have used autopilots from both companies in experimentals. When did they get approval to install in certified? it was very recent correct? I currently have the trio pro pilot in my lancair that I fly ifr. I don't use it to climb, descend, or fly approaches. I use it to hold altitude, follow the magenta line or fly heading only.

Both have solid reputations in the E-AB world.

To be honest, your described avionics make me question the seriousness of your question.

Best to talk to the manufacturers at this point.

FORANE: STC for Cessna 172, 175 & 182 is approved on Trio now. Tru Trak is referenced above.
With your experience, how is it to operate? Is it smooth flying, no twitchiness or other behavior?

Ravioli: My described avionics make you question seriousness of the question? I don't want manufacturers' answers, I want real-world experiences and feedback - that's all.

I imagine that either would work fairly well in a 182. In my lancair it overshoots and under shoots in pitch with climb or descent. The oscillation just gets worse. This is likely due in large part because a 1/2 Inch stick movement of the elevator of the lancair equals roughly 6 inches in a 182. it does fine with holding altitude though.
There was a lot of tweaking on the gain settings over many flights to try and improve performance. I trust it to keep on heading and altitude with some diversions in turbulence.

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy any autopilot without

#1 reading the FAA approved Airplane Flight Manual Supplement and UNDERSTANDING the defined limitations of these autopilots.

#2 knowing exactly what interfaces are used and what the are approved to be connected to, in other words RTFM, install manual that is.

I'm disappointed that there still isn't anything but a bunch of marketing/sales junk out on the GFC500. I wanna see some hard data not marketing junk.

@bnt83 I had a conversation with my avionics guy about the GFC500. Garmin is actively saying there will be no support for interface with my Aspen right now. The GFC600 is an option, for a much more hefty price tag. That and the new STEC 3100 are my go-to in the next tier of costs if nothing else will interface with my Aspen and IFDs.

I have a TruTrak Vizion AP kit for my C177 still in the box sitting in my hanger waiting for installation, hopefully in the next few weeks. The C177 kit just started shipping Monday of last week and mine was delivered the following Wednesday.

I’m aware through the Cardinal Flyers Online site of at least one C177 installation currently in progress, but haven’t heard of any that have completed yet, nor have I heard any feedback on any C172 kits. I received the STC with AFM supplement from the EAA yesterday. After reading through the install manual, pilot guide, and AFM supplement, it looks promising for my purposes so far.

It’s not going to be the best choice for everyone, but for my type of flying and my budget, I think it’s going to be a perfect fit.

I have a TruTrak Vizion AP kit for my C177 still in the box sitting in my hanger waiting for installation, hopefully in the next few weeks. The C177 kit just started shipping Monday of last week and mine was delivered the following Wednesday.

I’m aware through the Cardinal Flyers Online site of at least one C177 installation currently in progress, but haven’t heard of any that have completed yet, nor have I heard any feedback on any C172 kits. I received the STC with AFM supplement from the EAA yesterday. After reading through the install manual, pilot guide, and AFM supplement, it looks promising for my purposes so far.

It’s not going to be the best choice for everyone, but for my type of flying and my budget, I think it’s going to be a perfect fit.

I would love to hear how things progress.

Dbarbee, are you going to document it with pictures anywhere? I'd enjoy reading about your experience if you're willing to share.

Dbarbee, are you going to document it with pictures anywhere? I'd enjoy reading about your experience if you're willing to share.

Once the install begins I'll plan to start a new thread here and do my best to document the progress.

The install I'm following on Cardinal Flyers Online is progressing with only a couple of minor snags. The roll servo had to be shimmed slightly to prevent contact with the aileron cables and the pitch servo bracket holes didn't line up with the mounting plate. TruTrak overnighted a replacement bracket which lined up much better.

Being a 177/B driver & maintener I've read the installation manual and found it to look pretty slick.

Being a 177/B driver & maintener I've read the installation manual and found it to look pretty slick.
You'll have to fill me in on what you've read at some point; I'd enjoy hearing your perspective. I am struggling with purchase decision right now because I am highly OCD on details and engineering, and it's a complex juxtaposition between cost and perfection.. As a matter of fact I might start another thread for opinions on just that matter...

You'll have to fill me in on what you've read at some point; I'd enjoy hearing your perspective. I am struggling with purchase decision right now because I am highly OCD on details and engineering, and it's a complex juxtaposition between cost and perfection.. As a matter of fact I might start another thread for opinions on just that matter...

It just seems dirt simple to me. See for yourself, (install guides)
https://trutrakflightsystems.com/pages/certified-documents-manuals

A true wrench swinger should be able to do these without much trouble. Maybe even a non-A&P owner under aircraft mech supervision, which could really cut labor costs.

Well, I'm already out. They don't have Avidyne IFDs on the "supported GPS" list. Well, crap.

My understanding is that the certified TruTrack and Trio autopilots don't include a magnetic compass sensor, hence they can only fly tracks, not headings.

My understanding is that the certified TruTrack and Trio autopilots don't include a magnetic compass sensor, hence they can only fly tracks, not headings.
If they would interface with a HI or HSI that could be easily fixed. But they don’t. Wonder why they skipped a heading function? Sorta handy to have for vectors. Guess a lot of folks will be asking to do approaches on their own just like in training.

Clark, from what I understand that was an FAA requirement to simplify the certification.im curious to know whether those additional interfaces will be added over time.

This is correct according to my avionics shop which has installed a Trio AP before.

Back