Tires.

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
lots of thing change,waht's you favorite brand. why?

Desser recaps. Used them back with the airlines, never had a single issue with them. Used them on my own Cessna(s) for 50 years, never had a single issue with them. Wears like iron, economical. What I like most is getting something like a Michelin or really top of the line Goodyear casing and they will recap MY tires for me. I believe three times recap is the limit although I've never pushed the limit.

Plane has michelins on the mains that it came with and us specialty nose tires I put on because I liked them better, don't really blow through tires fast enough to really think about it.

APs I’ve talked to don’t like recaps for retracts, can cause gear extension problems.

Agree with desser recaps. they come with a ton of tread and worked great with our cessna 150 and our RV9a but unfortunately no sizes compatible with the lancair.

If your wheel pants or wheel wells have little clearance, you might have trouble with desser recaps though.

Last edited:
Usually Michelin or Goodyear, and since it's a retract I get new thinking recaps might cause clearance issues, but that's just a feeling. Not that it matters, we've maybe put 3-4 tires on the bird since buying in 2007.

The proper tires for the Navion are the 7.00x8 and only one company (Aero Classic) makes them. You can put 6.50x8's on them (I prefer michelin).

Thanks, I'll pass it on.

Desser has been in business for 50+ years now. They'd be WAY out of business if their recaps hang up on bent-legged airplanes. Besides, isn't that what we inspect on a retract test when we do ANYTHING having to do with the gear?

Desser has been in business for 50+ years now. They'd be WAY out of business if their recaps hang up on bent-legged airplanes. Besides, isn't that what we inspect on a retract test when we do ANYTHING having to do with the gear?
None of my customers have retracts so odd size isn't a problem.

How about wheel pants?
wheel pants are not usually that tight. unlike wheel wells.

I looked at a Glass Air last week that had less than a half inch clearance around the tire when retracted.
I believe those who have wheel pants that are close enough to rub already know which tires to use

Indeed we had a slight rub on one of the pants of the RV9a. A little dremmel was enough to make clearance. Of course if there were snow, deep grass, etc. it may have become an issue again.

Back when I was involved in the flying club, we put Desser recaps on our 172s. Worked fine and given how fast trainers wear out tires, a decent idea.

Alaskan Bushwheels. 29”on the Cessna, 35”on the Cub, Baby Bushwheels on both. My old Macreary 850s only see use on hydraulic skis so don’t wear much.

I believe those who have wheel pants that are close enough to rub already know which tires to use

Maybe in your world, not so much in mine! Higher ply ratings are always better! lol

I put desser monster retreads w/ leakstop tubes on my 182 shortly after buying the plane in 2004. 13 years, 1600+ hours, and probably that many or more landing later, it's about time to change them. Not because they're getting low on rubber, they're not, but rather because they're dry rotting. I "turn them around" at annual every other year for even wear. I've spent a fair amount of time on grass though (likely 20% to 30% of landings) and that also helps.

I plan to replace them at this year's annual.

I doubt that I'll ever buy anything else if I never have a retract or tundra machine....

I may have to get some Desser retreads too. They're priced right...a 5.00-5 is $77.

Back