Loosing

I’m thinking about manufacturing chalk chocks. Will they sell?

For all intensive purposes...

None of this matters. :)

I was thinking of that one...

Another thing that has become more common is to drop the s off of the plural form of words that end with st, like artist. "There will be more than 30 artist displaying their work," for example. Why can't people spell it "artists?" I know it takes so much effort to say that 'sts' sound, but you could at least write it like you're not a complete moron. I see this happen in local newspapers and in major news networks' online articles.

I’m thinking about manufacturing chalk chocks. Will they sell?

Probably. Mom will buy 'em for the kids. :eek:

You know, to keep them occupied while dad preflights. :D

Last edited:
I'm laughing at the thought of how many of us are googling/double checking our grammar now before we post. (and I just typed grammer automatically but thank the Lord caught it)

I proofread all of my posts after I post them and edit them. Sometimes people catch a gaff before I do, and sometimes I still miss a thing or three.

[Shouldn't have confessed to that. I can't claim laziness anymore]

Why are so many people now referring to multiple aircraft as aircrafts?
For the same reason so many people say math instead of maths.

I say (not write) "Datas" as an intentional joke. I know that 1 data point is datum and that multiple data points are data. But since I'm often speaking to groups I throw some stuffs (<-- see that) in there to keep myself entertained and see who is actually listening.

Touche! But then, there have been people who've "gotten the hook" around here from time to time too.

When I was in catholic school, in second or third grade, and the nun rattled off "i before e except after c," I would respond with "that's weird."

The linguistics professor intoned, “In some languages a double negative means a positive, and in some languages a double negative means a negative. But in no language does a double positive mean a negative.”

As he paused to let this point sink in, a bored voice was heard from the back of the room.

“Yeah, right.”

I say (not write) "Datas" as an intentional joke. I know that 1 data point is datum and that multiple data points are data. But since I'm often speaking to groups I throw some stuffs (<-- see that) in there to keep myself entertained and see who is actually listening.
When I am listening to a a speaker, and they use bad grammar, I usually discount the accuracy of what they have to say.
Maybe you're confusing intelligence and education?
No, because I believe many of the offenders are both intelligent, and educated,
although I will agree that not all intelligent people are well educated, and vice versa.

Being the youngest of 10 kids, 7 of us boys, my older siblings taught me to be a smart azz at a very young age (now you know).

When I was in catholic school, in second or third grade, and the nun rattled off "i before e except after c," I would respond with "that's weird."

I spent a lot of time in the principal's office as a kid.

The thought of you in catholic school amuses me. :D

What is a "fell swoop" and why does it always take just one of them? You never hear anyone say, "I could clear that table with two or three fell swoops."

When I am listening to a a speaker, and they use bad grammar, I usually discount the accuracy of what they have to say.

although I will agree that not all intelligent people are well educated, and vice versa.
And we shoudn't verb our nouns, either.

What is a "fell swoop" and why does it always take just one of them? You never hear anyone say, "I could clear that table with two or three fell swoops."
It’s from the Latin swell foop which means good job in Hindi.

That's one I will confess to... I also use "they" as a gender-neutral pronoun, though it drives a friend of mine stir crazy. English just doesn't have a good substitute, e.g. "sie" and "hir" just seem forced.
Indeed so, and that is the only time things like "loose" and "it's" really bother me, when the person who uses them is highly educated and not only should know better, but is in a position to pass the misspelling or grammatical gaffe on to the next generation, such as a teacher or university professor.

Otherwise I just find it vaguely amusing... especially men who refer to their wives as "the wife" and refer to a certain organ as the "prostrate". ;)

@JOhnH and @azure: Here's an edit that should work:

"When I am listening to a speaker who uses bad grammar..." That would be both gender neutral and grammatically correct.

The one that drives me crazy is when someone tries to use the word moot, but says and spells it mute.

Its MOOT!
My favorite is a guy who was at one time very active in online forums always used the phrase "it's a mute point." When the correct usage was pointed out, he came up with a long, convoluted rationale on why he was right. I know we never see anyone like this here, but the guy was never, ever wrong.

And we shoudn't verb our nouns, either.

Or...

29113114702_8277817c2c_c.jpg

Being the youngest of 10 kids, 7 of us boys, my older siblings taught me to be a smart azz at a very young age (now you know).

I spent a lot of time in the principal's office as a kid.
Lol. The principals secretary would just roll her eyes when I came in, again. Had a teacher who would say "I don't know, 'can' you" when you asked "can I go to the bathroom" making a big deal out of the difference between 'may' and 'can.' Looking back on it now I'm having visions of Mr. McMurphy giving Nurse Ratched an attitude adjustment.

Lol. The principals secretary would just roll her eyes when I came in, again. Had a teacher who would say "I don't know, 'can' you" when you asked "can I go to the bathroom" making a big deal out of the difference between 'may' and 'can.' Looking back on it now I'm having visions of Mr. McMurphy giving Nurse Ratched an attitude adjustment.
I had a teacher pull that on me. I just told her that since I obey the rules, if she won't let me, then I can't. She didn't buy that.

And it seems to be nearly universal now that "your" is replacing "you're." :rolleyes1:

Back