Who to call in advance for routing

donjohnston

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Don
I'm going to be making a trip down the west coast of FL (IFR). I was planning CTY-V35-RSW. But I suspect that I won't get routed over the TPA class B airspace. While it's no big deal to get routed towards Lakeland, I would like the more scenic route along the coast.

So is it possible to make a phone call and talk to someone about the possibility of the more scenic routing down the coast instead of the more inland routing? Like if you're at x,xxx altitude it's no problem or if you file this specific route, you'll probably get it.

And if so, do you call TPA approach? MIA Center?

File want you want.
Fly what you get.
Log what you need.

Step #2 can be modified by asking the controller for a route you find better. Over/thru a class B may or may not be a problem. Directly above the primary airport is often a great place to be as aircraft can't go straight up. IFR routings typically go directly over JFK,PHL,BWI, and IAD on the east coast provided the routing doesn't take you through the approach paths. Trying to go just west of NYC and outside the class B isn't going to happen, for example.

(Keep in mind eman knows squat about IFR) but doesn’t Garmin pilot and the others have a ‘show preferred routing’ or something like that where you can see common routes assigned previously?

File want you want.
Fly what you get.
Log what you need.

Step #2 can be modified by asking the controller for a route you find better. Over/thru a class B may or may not be a problem. Directly above the primary airport is often a great place to be as aircraft can't go straight up. IFR routings typically go directly over JFK,PHL,BWI, and IAD on the east coast provided the routing doesn't take you through the approach paths. Trying to go just west of NYC and outside the class B isn't going to happen, for example.

It depends.

That doesn't work with ATL, when i try to fly direct over the field they reroute outside the Bravo and into the approach gates, then ask me to descend because I'm in the way . . . . Happens all the time, I've never been cleared into the ATL Bravo, IFR or VFR.

Are you set on going IFR? If it’s VMC out just go VFR and do whatever you want.

After you file, your expected route will show up on FlightAware. If you're curious in advance you can file a pretend flight and just let it expire without flying. Fltplan.com gives common route in its flight planning section.
Jon

It depends.

That doesn't work with ATL, when i try to fly direct over the field they reroute outside the Bravo and into the approach gates, then ask me to descend because I'm in the way . . . . Happens all the time, I've never been cleared into the ATL Bravo, IFR or VFR.

That's what I'm talking about! I've departed PDK going south and been routed directly over Hartsfield... at 4,000'. Other times I'm routed out east.

I seem to recall that it has to do with the time of day, which runways are in use and some other factors. I thought that if I could determine what those factors are, I could tweak my flightplan to improve the chances of a better routing.

File your desired routing. If you get it in your clearance, cool. If not, request it or a similar route with the controller when you're airborne, center or approach whoever your with.

I'm going to be making a trip down the west coast of FL (IFR). I was planning CTY-V35-RSW. But I suspect that I won't get routed over the TPA class B airspace. While it's no big deal to get routed towards Lakeland, I would like the more scenic route along the coast.

So is it possible to make a phone call and talk to someone about the possibility of the more scenic routing down the coast instead of the more inland routing? Like if you're at x,xxx altitude it's no problem or if you file this specific route, you'll probably get it.

It would be Jacksonville Center, not Memphis and I doubt if you would have any luck there. Calling Tampa Approach might get you an answer but I wouldn't be holding my breath it's going to be the one you want to hear. You wanna do some sight seeing. Ask if going OTP will help but I doubt it will make much difference. Like said above, negotiating after you are in the air is what will give you a chance.

ATC in Florida ROCKS.

If you want to fly the coast outside of TPA Class B...just tell them...

I have a few friends at TPA. I'll ask about the route and see what they say.

That's what I'm talking about! I've departed PDK going south and been routed directly over Hartsfield... at 4,000'. Other times I'm routed out east.

I seem to recall that it has to do with the time of day, which runways are in use and some other factors. I thought that if I could determine what those factors are, I could tweak my flightplan to improve the chances of a better routing.
How much leeway controllers have to go along with those types of requests is dependent on traffic and workload. So one might call to get an idea of what times might be better than others. The chart suggests it would not be a big deal, but you never know.

If I called in advance to get a picture of the likelihood, I'd call Tampa Approach - they're the guys whose airspace you'll be in for the shore route. OTOH, if that's what I wanted, I'd cancel IFR as I got close and drop under the Bravo for a better view.

After you file, your expected route will show up on FlightAware. If you're curious in advance you can file a pretend flight and just let it expire without flying. Fltplan.com gives common route in its flight planning section.
Jon
You can also set it up where Fltplan.com will email you your expected routing. I have found it to be almost always accurate.

If it’s VMC you can always cancel.

Me: is there any altitude I can request that will avoid having to go to KELSI?

C90: Let me see...no.

Me: OK, here’s what we’re gonna do. I’m going to climb up to 10,5, cancel IFR, go direct OSH and you give me flight following.

C90: That will work

The Tampa Bay controllers are great. The outer ring guys know that people would prefer the scenic route. The Bravo airspace is pretty well designed to allow freedom of movement by GA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@donjohnston
My controller friend from TPA TRACON said if you file CTY V35 RSW at 13000 you should get that route. If you file lower then the center will probably re-route you east of the B prior to even getting to TPA approach. A possible out smart the system scenario for you is to file CTY V35 VNC as though VNC is your destination. Then when you get abeam TPA ask them to change your destination to RSW. Of course the other two options are to go VFR or to accept the center re-route and then as soon as they switch you to approach request the western route and depending on traffic see what they can do. Hope this helps.

If you fly VFR and stay just off the coast you can cruise at 5500 all the way down. It's beautiful flying just off the coast if it's clear, especially in the afternoon. There's not much VFR traffic above 3000 through there, and you could get FF!

If you go VFR the controllers,are very accommodating. Just call tampa and ask to fly the coast.

Back