Trig Avionics ??

Kitfox43

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kitfox43
Anyone familiar with Trig Avionics? I just heard of them yesterday. Looking for comments, pro or con. I've been looking at their TY 91 Com and TT 22 Transponder.

Thanks
Brian

Trig is based in the UK and makes the KT74 for BendixKing.

Trig is popular in the EXP space. Never heard any negatives on their products.

Their transponders are very popular in gliders, is one of the very few transponders that can come even close to being able to run on battery power for any length of time.
Haven’t heard of any issues with them. Unless something better comes along in the next few years there is a pretty good chance I will be putting on in my glider.

Brian

Anyone familiar with Trig Avionics? I just heard of them yesterday. Looking for comments, pro or con. I've been looking at their TY 91 Com and TT 22 Transponder.

Thanks
Brian
I have their TT22 in my plane. Some of the best support I've ever received... on anything.

There's a similar thread on this on VAF right now...

As others have mentioned, very good support and the TT22 has a good power output, reliable and efficient.

Trig is what Cubcrafters uses in their planes.
Because they can place the display in the panel, and the radio in the rear fuselage.
Why? There isn't much room behind that little panel. :)

Yes, reviving an old thread. Looking down the road at replacing my Narco avionics with the TY-96 and the announced but not yet available, TX56 Nav/Com. Anyone have experience with the TY-96 radio? I would like to install Becker radios because its also my last name but they are uber-'spensive.

I take it that nobody (yet) has experience with Trig radios.

I looked at them and almost bought one, but elected to go with the Garmin 200 com instead. Any reason you’re looking at the Trig over the Garmin?

I looked at them and almost bought one, but elected to go with the Garmin 200 com instead. Any reason you’re looking at the Trig over the Garmin?

Isn't the Garmin 200 for experimental only?

Trig is slimline and is coming out with a Nav/com mid year plus Trig doesn't seem to be as proud of their stuff as Garmin.

Last edited:
Isn't the Garmin 200 for experimental only?

Im assuming you’re thinking of the warning on Spruce’s website?

The radio is not TSOd but that is the only downside I’m aware of.

I want a compatible Nav/com as well and as far as I can tell, Garmin has only one offering for my needs and is also for experimental aircraft only. I really don't want 50K worth of avionics in a 30K airplane.

I want a compatible Nav/com as well and as far as I can tell, Garmin has only one offering for my needs and is also for experimental aircraft only. I really don't want 50K worth of avionics in a 30K airplane.

Which Nav/Com? The 225? If they are for experimental only then all the installations I’ve seen/used are illegal because they’ve been in TCd airplanes.

What I think Spruce may be doing with their product listings is saying experimental only because Garmin wants their equipment being installed by a Garmin dealer. The GTX345 transponder is a prime case of that. Spruce will sell to experimental only, but TCd airplanes have to get them through a dealer.

I’m not trying to push Garmin over Trig, just pointing out other options. I was very close to buying the Trig for my Super Cub project but went Garmin instead because it would interface with the GPS and transponder. I like the menu layout a little better too.

Roger and thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards Trig because of the features it has, the price and the slimline shape. I think I can get my whole stack in one stack instead of what I have now which is a stack and a transponder. I'm not married to Garmin even though I have two G5s and a 340 audio panel. It's good stuff no doubt, just looking to go another way.

I had a Trig TY91L com / PS Engineering PAR200. The Trig is the external box (transceiver) hooked to the PAR200 head unit. It sounded great, transmit and receive, and I never experienced a problem with the 6W output power.

I loved the whole setup and would purchase it again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Avidyne AXP340 transponder is also made by Trig. I have a few friends in Europe that use Trig transponders, they are cheap and reliable. But very basic and simple, no touchscreen or other bells and whistles...

Trig is based in the UK and makes the KT74 for BendixKing.
Got on in my Piper and it has been working flawlessly for almost 5 years. They have a line of NavComs coming soon to the US TSO market. Not soon enough to suit me...so I am replacing my KX155 with a KX125 rather than pay $1750 for a replacement display. BK has all but abandoned their GA customers...that started back in 2001-2002. Too bad, but Honeywell really isn't in to the GA avionic market. If they had invested in GA back then, they'd be making gains in the ADS-B upgrade markets today. When they lost Gar/Min from their team, the basically abandoned the race.

Back