My student pilot license got punched today - Debrief

I'm not hip to that lingo, does that mean solo? check ride?

Wow things have really changed around here for the good. Not one "it's not a license it's a certificate"

Now you will see who was really serious when they said "I will fly with you". I am already up to 3 people that when asked sheepishly grovelled until I interjected, "it's okay to wimp out"

Now you will see who was really serious when they said "I will fly with you". I am already up to 3 people that when asked sheepishly grovelled until I interjected, "it's okay to wimp out"
Haha, I have one guy that keeps coming up with hair appointments, basket weaving appointments, etc. Just say 'no' if you dont want to go right?

And one friend that just flat out refuses, which surprised me since I thought he was somewhat adventurous.(and if i recall correctly used to daydream of getting a gyrocopter back in the day, which I thought was 'out there' at the time, haha). I told him I could keep him in the pattern if he wants, no dice.

Congrats! I remember when you were starting. All worth it now huh.
yah, its has been a bumpy ride (no pun lol) for me and took me almost a whole year...but at the end of the day when DPE said taxi out, it was all worth it :p

yah, its has been a bumpy ride (no pun lol) for me and took me almost a whole year...but at the end of the day when DPE said taxi out, it was all worth it :p
almost a whole year, geesh, took me 2, haha.

Congrats!

its debrief time. i will start with the short one for all you impatient folks:

Short Version

Called in to schedule and gave 3 dates, he was open the first one and i snatched it. as it turned out, it was the only decent flyable day in a 7 day window. Think i passed the weather portion just by choosing a calm day to fly in ND :d:d
showed up with a crap load of log books, papers and everything he could ask for. IACRA, log book review, aircraft mx review was done in first 30 mins. reviewd XC planning (FCM was my XC, and hence the other thread on that and thanks to everyone who commented on it, especially @Sinistar ). told DPE that i got inputs from other pilots and a local pilot about the field, he considered it to be "use of all resources available to you as a pilot". the oral section was done in an hour.

flight portion started with flying per my nav log, check off few way point, went about 25 miles from KFAR. He unsuccessfully tried me to focus me on a plane 2000 ft below me at my 7 o clock, i glanced at it once and ignored him for the rest of the time. moved to hood work for .3 hrs, 360 turns holding alt, 360 turn and loose 500 feet, climbing 180 turn to a specific alt. then usual attitude. i was trying hard to "listen" for the speed increasing or decreasing, no joy. when asked looked at the instruments and i was at 60 left bank. hood work done. engine out next, there wasnt any field nearby so i chose the field right in front of me and started a spiraling decent and did a bunch of checklist stuff

steep turn, then went to slow flight (had too much energy going there and dumped all the flaps and ballooned quite a bit, noticed it and recovered. ). 360 turn in slow flights takes forever. then to power of stalls followed by power on stalls (well its Piper, so more like a nasty buffet and no nose drop), then turns around a point (twice on the same direction, he asked me to choose the direction and i chose right, cuz i am good at right turns..donno why), then S turns

came back to KFAR, overshot final, still had time to get back, initiated go around, next time did a slip to soft field land (i volunteered, i knew he would want to see one anyway) and a short field take off, bounced the landing and realized i didnt put in the last notch of flaps :(:(. followed by soft field take off, short field landing on 500 ft marker... he asked me to take the first taxi out to the flight school. waited till i executed my shut down checklist and took the keys out and chocked the plane. asked me to show my teeth so that he can take a pic at which point i knew i was a "certificated" pilot.

feels AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Last edited:
Awesome man! It's a great feeling for sure. I still recall my check ride. Congrats again!

Congrats! I definitely misread the title and thought you said my student pilot got punched today...

Congrats! I definitely misread the title and thought you said my student pilot got punched today...
well I have seen that look on my CFI's face a few times ... he really wanted to punch my face and permanently embed right rudder in my head... but I am kinda big for him :d:d

Congratulations! Major accomplishment, Pilot! Now go out and bore holes in the sky with that nifty plane of yours!

Back