suggestions for upgrading C172 panel?

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
I would like to upgrade my C172 panel. See pic for current avionics. There is also a Narco AT150 transponder not in the photo.
Mission info: I have a bonanza with modern panel. This plane/panel mission is more for hamburger runs, and I have 3 children who will be training through instrument in this plane. Plane hangared in class C airport.

Because someone will ask: budget is in the medium range. I don't want a cheap-o fix and I don't need a full glass panel.
o2bZnLvac25QX_bGCi-CREg27uEA7mAzrF0mBFB51dW6Kg1n4W0ZFKWzVNew0R3eDERVzEJVkGLvcL-QwappD8yBc7qFNrgMnYIoebD3m5HDxkeJcpJiZo1QgA7NjFTHZjUVakFn2cXHtE2_FyYYOhvGyWE1XLis_w_WVjjpf7QySd3PpE44-wv6RvqwdmDSCVCdcb3WSWQ9ne4KFWZNhaIJrm8wSyuqSSslcha8fS3tUpizvzMNsKp0K_2DYQCiaSQ5AuBw0opQ--0H2ZfRD7c784RpVC-n1sT4-SCd8nh0GLB2jwiVvKROpRFl_QkTQgUU3eEybqnKMRQGO3bEhnpWvhOS-MspDgHHL0w2lotn1-xJbgh5MUhXxZM1ygNw7PDdf5SIMz5nYBzKqJYpxr-FW23HfyONn3Sgoo8I66S-L5HYxortg0cC_ffPGcfIMqsZV_-M16AH4rFFzQDijoxbAjVW3Uip2Fjw9De1BNKOBMdbe4MxDztFodz0ufFA7KRlXsDWQt3qptnkgeXxwpFsae2_P_G0kfWaY3Yh02bDmZbhR1RifoVNzCWpbJu5k6kNHGlhTMpR3aEGYPhfyNx01lvA2aqyQ1dMtl97YWU=w683-h910-no

Last edited:
Based on those requirements I think I would go with a Garmin GTN-650 and GTX 335...

I have the following in my Cherokee and it is perfect for me. From your post it sounds like this might be a good arrangement for you too. Certainly not cheap, but not over the top expensive either. Keep your current steam gauges and use an iPad with EFB on the side.

PS Eng 8000BT Audio Panel
Garmin GTN650 GPS/Nav/Comm
Garmin GTR225 Comm
Garmin GTX345 ADS-B Transponder
Garmin 106B Glide Slope/CDI
Narco 121 Nav VOR

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 85
so I should stop thinking about a used 440?
you guys are expensive. LOL

I guess I'm the cheap one then. I'd go with a used 440, 430 or 480. I went for the latter. Seems silly to make the upgrade without GPS approach capability. If you want to splash out, I'd far rather spend the money on a G5 (or similar) to a) get away from the vacuum failure mode and b) provide some "glass panel" type training for the IR.

With any of those options, you end up with a second flip flop radio as part of package, to go with the MX-170.

Finally i'd update the audio panel to a PS8000, or something similar.

There really ant't any low end avionics that
I have the following in my Cherokee and it is perfect for me. From your post it sounds like this might be a good arrangement for you too. Certainly not cheap, but not over the top expensive either. Keep your current steam gauges and use an iPad with EFB on the side.

PS Eng 8000BT Audio Panel
Garmin GTN650 GPS/Nav/Comm
Garmin GTR225 Comm
Garmin GTX345 ADS-B Transponder
Garmin 106B Glide Slope/CDI
Narco 121 Nav VOR

For the cost of a new 106B I'd just buy the G5 HSI. Assuming these ever support two nav radios then buy a GNC255 or SL30 to hook to the G5 as the #2 NAV.

You could go the used route, but installation cost would probably be the same so you're really only saving about 20% of the project. Unfortunately IFR ain't cheap...

I think all I would do is replace the top radio with a Garmin 650 and the Narco AT150 with a Stratus ESGi.

Ditch the ADF, keep the dme, replace the 170A with something roughly equivalent to a GTR 255 (there are cheaper options and TSO isn't required), replace the audio panel with a PMS8something, replace the Narco transponder with a Garmin 345 for ADS-B out compliance.

They can learn to fly on steam and needles like real pilots do. Just say no to magenta.

Your situation is an avionics upgrade can easily exceed the value of the aircraft. I would start with the PMA6000B and would not skimp there. If that old bird has an intercom, it is probably junk. I would keep the MX170 stuff as it probably still works well. I would opt for Stratus EGSi because that is probably the best low cost transponder option. I would opt for a used 430 and an indicator.

The only decision with retaining the King DME is the displays go bad and it something to maintain you really don't need.

I've got a 430, 696 on the yoke, SL-30, GI-106A, GMA-340, GTX-327 (I'd just go 345 now), and an old ARC 300 ADF. Add USB ports while you're in there if you dont have them.
upload_2017-9-16_15-25-4.png

Sell the 172 and use the proceeds to rent a plane for the kiddos training.

3 kids * 125/hr * 50 = $18,750. Even if they're slow you're under $25k.

Throw in some insurance, maintenance, and storage costs... Upgrading isn't the economical option here.

Sell the 172 and use the proceeds to rent a plane for the kiddos training.

3 kids * 125/hr * 50 = $18,750. Even if they're slow you're under $25k.

Throw in some insurance, maintenance, and storage costs... Upgrading isn't the economical option here.
Yea, just buy an RV

So keep the 172 then. They’d probably be fine training in the Bo tbh

I can agree with training them in his Bo... That makes sense.

But the 172 upgrade "economically" makes no sense. Sell it and use the proceeds for rentals. Or as you suggest, sell it and use the proceeds for maintenance.

Id ditch everything but the navcoms and audio panel, add a navworx with wifi and call it a day, no need for fancy IFR stuff for your mission

Put the money you would have blown on whiz bang gadgets into any deferred mx on the engine and airframe, and the rest into the fuel tanks.

Remove the ADF and DME, replace them with the cheapest IFR GPS you can find, that's a perfect IFR trainer then.

Missed the instrument part, yeah, so keep the audio panel, digital nav com, ditch the rest, look for a GNS430 and CDI, add a ADSB transponder for your C airport (navworx or similar), bobs your uncle.

GTN650 and a SL30.

Buy the 650 when Garmin has rebates. Expect one starting shortly for the holiday season. Previous offers were a 750 rebate after your best dealer price. SL30's come up on the used market and grab one. Excellent nav/com radio.

Install a gma340 that someone is selling used, and same for a gtx327 transponder. Junk the ADF and DME.

I would not install a 430W. That is 1998 technology. Not much more is a 650.

My .02.

What does a Garmin 650 go for these days..Installed?

...too many variables. Unit costs about 9k before rebate (if applicable). Install can be simple or a PITA depending on panel and aircraft configuration.

Serious question I now have a klm94 gps in a Cessna 182 with Sec tec auto pilot really works great but have lost display on gps they do not repair what do do next need help do not like 650 garmin

Cheap, fast or good. Pick two.

A lot of people said GTN-650...I really like the 650, but it's a $10k box. Look at the GTN 625 which has a lot of the same functionality but is half the price. It's essentially a 650 without radios. You can also need a G3X for for $845.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/garmingtn625gps.php
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/av/adsb/garming3x-gps20a.php

Might be able to find it cheaper, but this is about $6400 for the IFR GPS.

Interesting and creative suggestion. I'll look into this more. If I go with a G345 transponder, maybe I won't need the G3x?

Installation hours aren't that much different between the 625 & 650. The biggest issue most will run into is that while you may be able to stomach the GTN price what about an indicator? Used GI106A should be had for around $1k.

there is a garmin special going on
Garmin GTX-345R remote Transponder, Garmin GTN-625 WAAS GPS and install kits.
$9325 including tax, 3k for install (dealer quote)

Back