Flight Simulators

U B missing the point - flying the approach using the panel mount GPS, as I do in the real airplane. I'd like the FF or paper plate to match the panel; also, Xplane has a G-530, same as in our real airplane. I could shove the flight plan up, but my intent is to simulate my real IFR environment fairly closely.

U B missing the point - flying the approach using the panel mount GPS, as I do in the real airplane. I'd like the FF or paper plate to match the panel; also, Xplane has a G-530, same as in our real airplane. I could shove the flight plan up, but my intent is to simulate my real IFR environment fairly closely.

Ah, well, there are ways around that as well. There are add-ons that fully simulate a GNS530 with fairly up to date databases. Fly This Sim and RealtyXP both are 1:1 with the GNS530. My avatar has a pic of my GNS530, I fly with it all the time.

Ah, well, there are ways around that as well. There are add-ons that fully simulate a GNS530 with fairly up to date databases. Fly This Sim and RealtyXP both are 1:1 with the GNS530. My avatar has a pic of my GNS530, I fly with it all the time.
Agreed.
If you are really into it, you can also build a simple 530 with a small 7" USB LCD, a few buttons and two dual-concentric rotary switch (with a center button). It makes learning how to use the 530 so much easier than clicking on the screen with mouse. (of course you could also go fly an airplane with a 530 to train some but that's usually more cost prohibitive)
You can also buy a touch-screen USB LCD and use it as a 750. (again, with the appropriate SW)
The training possibilities are pretty extensive.

Agreed.
If you are really into it, you can also build a simple 530 with a small 7" USB LCD, a few buttons and two dual-concentric rotary switch (with a center button). It makes learning how to use the 530 so much easier than clicking on the screen with mouse. (of course you could also go fly an airplane with a 530 to train some but that's usually more cost prohibitive)
You can also buy a touch-screen USB LCD and use it as a 750. (again, with the appropriate SW)
The training possibilities are pretty extensive.

This is what I have. A bit spendy but they occasionally pop up on eBay:

http://www.emuteq.com/GNS530.html

I guess I'm not committed enough - Xplane11 came with current plates and the G-530 built in, no add ons or workarounds (or my time) required. The home-built Garmins boxes sound intere4sting, though. Maybe when I retire. . .

Xplane11 came with current plates and the G-530 built in, ...
Hi.
Can you post an image with the "current plates" you have, with the expiration date?
Do you know how often the Plates renew? Do they update them for you? I would be very careful about thinking you are using the latest / current plates in XPlane.
As others have mentioned, best way to do it is to use an external device for the sim, if you really want Current plates, or if you can update the ones in XPlane manually, and I am not sure if that can be done?

From what I gather (from the linked post below). You can download the current navigation data for free from the FAA and import it directly into X-Plane, at least for the US. Without doing this, it seems like most of the navdata in X-Plane 11 is from November of 2016. You can also buy current navdata from someone like Navigraph: https://www.navigraph.com/FmsDataManager.aspx

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.ph...graph-updates/&do=findComment&comment=1255176

Here's another post with very specific instructions on updating the navdata from the FAA, for those interested: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/121327-faa-cifp/&do=findComment&comment=1180087

Last edited:
FltPlan Go - Free, can link to X-Plane or FSX
Vatsim - Free, fly into an area that has a planned event, pretty real for communications and procedures, https://forums.vatusa.net/?action=calendar
PilotEdge - Not free, good platform, but you usually end up talking to same controller who handles all the frequencies from GND to CTR

Hi.
Can you post an image with the "current plates" you have, with the expiration date?
Do you know how often the Plates renew? Do they update them for you? I would be very careful about thinking you are using the latest / current plates in XPlane.
As others have mentioned, best way to do it is to use an external device for the sim, if you really want Current plates, or if you can update the ones in XPlane manually, and I am not sure if that can be done?
I'm looking for the plates to match the ones I have in ForeFlight - so far, they do, but I don't really know if/when Xplane updates. A minor variation is fine; I haven't explored oushing them up from FF to Xplane - maybe this weekend. . .

That’s amazing. Hard to believe they can replicate the real airplane so closely. I’d enjoy just being able to play with one for an hour or so.
Fly down to Columbus and I can hook you up. Our Sims only cost $4.5 mil though, but it's a T6 and fun!

The FBO I am learning to fly with has one of these. I got to use it a couple of times, and as a pre solo student I found it next to useless, for the reasons most people have stated - no feel. The visibility isn't the same either. During pattern practice I can't tell when to make the base turn because you can't see anything at that angle. I can see how it could be useful for more experienced pilots learning IFR or other procedural stuff, but for a beginning VFR pilot it's just a game. The thing is, this game costs more than a Cessna 150 lol.

I'm not saying the OP shouldn't invest in a home sim set up - just keep the cost reasonable because what you get from it will be limited.

My limited experience with vatsim was very negative. They didn't seem they were interested in handling GA traffic. That was years ago. Are they less militaristic now?

For the OP, I found using a sim quite valuable because I had prolonged 1-3 month breaks between lessons. I would plug in a voice recorder via piggy-back cable and then refly my lessons while listening to the playback. It was really a fun way to dial the MSFX plane in to what really happened in real. Climb rates and such.

My limited experience with vatsim was very negative. They didn't seem they were interested in handling GA traffic. That was years ago. Are they less militaristic now?

For the OP, I found using a sim quite valuable because I had prolonged 1-3 month breaks between lessons. I would plug in a voice recorder via piggy-back cable and then refly my lessons while listening to the playback. It was really a fun way to dial the MSFX plane in to what really happened in real. Climb rates and such.

VATSIM is real hit or miss. Sometimes you get a controller who knows their stuff and cares, sometimes you get a kid to cares but doesn't know jack, other times you get someone who knows but doesn't care unless you're looking to fly at FL430.

PilotEdge is where it's at. All frequencies in the coverage area are monitored and they're the real frequencies too. Controllers are professional and know their stuff. That said, I have noticed that they must be short-staffed at PE because lately they've had one controller doing ALL of ZLA and picking up clearance on the ground can be rough. But my experience with PE is miles beyond VATSIM.

Back