Does foreflight seem to be getting slower?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I run it on an iPad Mini. It seems like over the last six months or so it has become extremely laggy.

So last week I did a factory reset of my iPad and reinstall the application. And I noticed the same thing.

I talked to my dad because he flies with the same setup and he said he has noticed the same thing. If you touch the screen there is literally 2 to 4 seconds before anything pops up, resizing things takes a few seconds scrolling takes 3 or 4 seconds. It's pretty bad. Anybody else noticed this?

Looks like 9.3.5. It is definitely an older iPad Mini. I think it's whatever the first generation was I don't know well let's see it is model MD 537 LL / a

It shows iOS 9.3.5 but it says your software is up-to-date

Your iPad won't run iOS 11 so you may indeed be current.

Mine has slowed down too, although I don't consider 3-4 seconds bad...guess I'm used to the old 286 days, where computer startup alone took 10 minutes.

I'm very impatient with electronics and software. Lol

I have noticed maybe a small slow down but the larger issue for me is the GPS seems to have gotten worse.

Full sized iPad Air 2 here and yes, as features keep being added, I notice some slowing, not as bad as yours but some.

I run it on an iPad Mini. It seems like over the last six months or so it has become extremely laggy.

It's the Grumman. It's slower than the SR22 and so Foreflight doesn't have to update the map as frequently, so it just looks slower. Hop back into your dad's SR22 and I'm sure Foreflight will look fine again. :p

:D

I run it on an iPad Mini...

I think this could be your problem. You're trying to squeeze too many electrons into too small of a space and they just don't have enough room to organize efficiently. You're effectively getting too many collisions and it just takes time to sort it out.

Upgrade to a regular size or even better, a Pro. Must better use of the space for the electrons.

So last week I did a factory reset of my iPad and reinstall the application. And I noticed the same thing.

I talked to my dad because he flies with the same setup and he said he has noticed the same thing. If you touch the screen there is literally 2 to 4 seconds before anything pops up, resizing things takes a few seconds scrolling takes 3 or 4 seconds. It's pretty bad. Anybody else noticed this?
I've noticed the same.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I run it on an iPad Mini.

The speed of my slowest iPad, a mini 3, is still plenty for ForeFlight.

Memory at 16GB can be a bigger problem than speed, especially in the transition between chart cycles when the old charts aren’t yet out of date but new charts are available. I have to delete apps like Netflix from the iPad when that happens, then I can reinstall them later, when FF no longer wants the old charts.

It’s slow as balls on my mini, installed it on my brothers iPad Pro and it’s like a whole different program

Yup, definitely slower. Doesn't seem to affect safety, and its still faster than my old Garmin 296, so I suppose I'm OK with it.

Mine seems OK, but I had to replace my iPad late last year (frigging thieves) so it is still fairly new..

I'm running it on a 2nd gen mini. It still works but it's not as quick as it used to be. I think they're past the good fast years and into the slow but still more/less usable period. No idea what I'm going to replace it with, still holding out hope Apple may yet release a new mini but it looks like they may not and I'm really not sure what I want to do in that case.

The mini was the perfect size for how I use a tablet especially in flight.

How many other crApps are you running?

If you're going to depend on a pad for flying then keep it clean.

yep - last couple of upgrades seems to have really slowed things down a lot.

I'm running mine on a 1st gen mini and yes it's bad slow. Look up the specs for the mini and you will quickly find why it's starting to run slow. FF requires a good bit of processing power now a days and the older iPad just aren't up to it.

On the way to Oshkosh it locked up so much I about threw it out the window. It could not handle weather and all the traffic. So I stopped by the stratus booth and they said it's a FF issue. I went by FF and they said it was an apple issue. I called apple and they said it was not them either. Pfft!

So moral is, if it's bothering you it's time to upgrade IOS device and in 2 years as FF evolves the same thing will happen again. My mini is only used for aviation and dang it can be painfully slow!

I'm seeing the same thing, on a Mini 2. Getting a bit nervous if Apple discontinues the mini line. Is a Mini 4 better for performance.

The mini4 is a cheap buy right now and it might be the last mini they make.... or Apple might release one next week. Nobody knows and that's how Apple likes it.

Effectively, these devices are perishable and the expiration date is whenever the software updates render the device unusable or maybe just slow enough to be frustrating depending on the user. That's why I haven't gone for a mini 4 yet.... price is low but how long will it be a good usable device for me?

I'm hoping either Apple releases a new Mini soon or ForeFlight would be kind enough to release an android windows version of their software. If neither of those happens and it gets any slower I guess I'm stuck with either going back to a full size ipad which I really don't want or looking into some other aviation chart product and a non-apple device.

The mini4 is a cheap buy right now and it might be the last mini they make.... or Apple might release one next week. Nobody knows and that's how Apple likes it.

Effectively, these devices are perishable and the expiration date is whenever the software updates render the device unusable or maybe just slow enough to be frustrating depending on the user. That's why I haven't gone for a mini 4 yet.... price is low but how long will it be a good usable device for me?

I'm hoping either Apple releases a new Mini soon or ForeFlight would be kind enough to release an android windows version of their software. If neither of those happens and it gets any slower I guess I'm stuck with either going back to a full size ipad which I really don't want or looking into some other aviation chart product and a non-apple device.
Don't hold your breath on that android version, according to their faq they have 'no plans'. That is irritating since they probably have the most loot ($$$) to work with and could easily hire an android team. Maybe they get kickbacks or threats from Apple. (in case you couldn't tell, I have an irrational disdain for all things Apple going back to the 6th grade, Apple ][, go Tandy!).

Yes, my iPad and FF are much slower as well. Glad I am not the only one. I didn't fly for a few weeks and hadn't updated my iPad or FF in even longer, probably 6 months?.. I went through a big round of updates though both to the iPad and FF in the last 2 weeks and the whole "IOS, it just works!" experience is slower, including Foreflight. My ipad mini is not even a year old. Oh well

Not to sound like a curmudgeon, but unless there is a notable leap in improvements or there are fixes to known bugs then I generally refrain from updating my devices, since, in general, I found the net outcome to generally result in a decrease in performance and overall user experience

I found the net outcome to generally result in a decrease in performance and overall user experience

They sell more ipads that way.
The problem is if I have to buy a new device, it will be an android.

A friend of mine had a theory that gadget performance was designed to degrade overtime to motivate people to upgrade. I doubt that's true but as each update uses more hardware power eventually you do need to upgrade

I agree, I've been very happy with my Pixel

Mine has slowed down ,especially during start up.

The link works for me but my problem is I don’t see a "recents button" on either the maps page or the airports page. What am I missing?

Sorry, can't help, don't have Foreflight, hopefully someone else can. On my list to buy, need the medical to come in first, fingers crossed.

I think this could be your problem. You're trying to squeeze too many electrons into too small of a space and they just don't have enough room to organize efficiently. You're effectively getting too many collisions and it just takes time to sort it out.

Upgrade to a regular size or even better, a Pro. Must better use of the space for the electrons.

I only notice this problem during climbs, when the electrons are going uphill. During descents the electrons seem to be assisted instead of impeded by gravity and flow much, much faster. ;)

Last edited:

I upgraded my iPad last spring. Not so much because FF was running slow, but for more memory. Definitely made a noticeable difference in the speed of FF though. I use the old iPad for other stuff after removing FF and it has taken to periodically seizing up for a few seconds to "think" before it acts. I think Apple has been infected with the Microsoft disease whereby the hardware is forced into retirement when it can't keep up with the useless added complexity of new code.

I got issued a Samsung phone for business. What a PoS. I am no big Apple fan (overhyped, overpriced) but there is NOTHING about that Samsung phone that would persuade me to desire another in the future. It took 4 missed calls before I finally figured out you have to swipe the damn green dot, not just touch it, to answer the incoming call. Can't hardly wait till Garmin decides we all have to buy new avionics with "Swipe Screen Technology". :rolleyes:

I'm running it on an old (ca. 2011 vintage) iPad 2, and it's definitely slower than it used to be, but I attribute that mostly to the hardware being inadequate for the version of iOS, not specifically FF. I'll probably replace the iPad soon enough, but right now I have the same problem with my 2010 MacBook Pro running OS X Mavericks. It takes typically 3-5 minutes to open a file if the machine has been allowed to sleep, and routinely page thrashes for up to a minute even when saving files with an app that's being used frequently. Since I use it for work, replacing that is higher priority right now.

Is it a great deal to get an iPad Mini4 128gb for $300?
That seems to be the best sale available (Best Buy) but it is not happening now.

Back