Cirrus makes emergency landing on Highway

Expellant job done by the pilot. Glad everyone was able to walk away. I had a transponder let all the smoke out if the circuit boards in flight. That sure got my attention..

Oh, I'm certain he expelled something... right into his pants. :D

Did they have ADSB? How about a flight plan? I think those are both required questions here...

I bet he was using the last two letters of that tail number on the way down. He probably wasn't saying Mike Foxtrot either...

Old airforce saying.....thin line between a hero and an a.h. In this instance he made it but could have easily hit an unseen cable etc. and "killed his own self" plus others.

He got lucky. Look at those power lines. I don't fly a plane with a chute but in this case I would have used the chute. Why tempt fate?

So I am wondering, if he would have pulled the chute, wouldn't he have lost all control of where it landed? So I would think the power lines are even more likely.

Only on POA can we bash a cirrus pilot for pulling the chute.... and bash (harsh word for what is going on in this thread, but none the less) a cirrus pilot for NOT pulling the chute...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Looks like a small oil leak in one of the pictures.

Dang, that thar is some good eye sight! :eek::confused:;)

Only on POA can we bash a cirrus pilot for pulling the chute.... and bash (harsh word for what is going on in this thread, but none the less) a cirrus pilot for NOT pulling the chute...

Are you saying POA is now officially a main stream media site?:p

What does the Cirrus training advocate to do for in-flight fire situations?
When I did my transition course the steps were mixture to cut off, fuel pump off, fuel selector off, airflow selector off, power lever idle, ignition off, cabin doors crack open. Then we would do a Vne descent, IE, 200 knots. Once you got close to ground the checklist doesn't specify, well actually it says "land as soon as possible" but the instructor basically said that at 1,000 AGL if there is no suitable and obvious place to land then pull the chute.. you will still lose 400 feet while the chute deploys leaving the last 500 feet under the chute.. which is still a brisk descent as I understand it. If you have the door open you should (theoretically) survive that last few moments if you made it that far. Note, the chute deploys at 130 knots in the plane I checked out in.. so you'll have to slow from Vne to 130 to pull the chute. But you would have to slow down anyway if you were going to land without the chute

We didn't do the 45 degree bank dive, although that would bleed off even more energy so may be a good option. We did however do slipping descents for fuselage and wing fires to keep the fire away from the passenger cabin and fuel tanks. Those were fun to practice

Meant to mention, that looked like one skilled pilot.. impressive that he could land on that little road with trees and powerlines. Well done!

Meant to mention, that looked like one skilled pilot.. impressive that he could land on that little road with trees and powerlines. Well done!

Read the story linked above. You're not wrong about the pilot.

Read the story, was glad that the airplane had such a great crew. Very experienced pilot with a great helper in the other seat, doesn't get much better than that.
Great write-up.

Any word on what caused the loss of oil and ultimately engine failure? Provided that there wasn't too much damage under the cowling (they extinguished the fire quickly, minimizing the damage).

Very impressive.. great teaching moment I think for everyone. So many times these stories end bad with somebody spinning it in. Kudos to this guy

Under the canopy you descend all the way down at 1500 fpm.

Remote possibility, but the fire spreads to the chute it will be a little faster than that... Terminal Velocity!

I wouldn't want to float under a chute while on fire... This guy did an excellent job!!! KUDOS!

Back