Comm failure & no light from the tower - what do you do?

Where do you guys get the tower number from at an unfamiliar airport??

In my case I had the number because Santa Maria is where I am based. If I want to do something peculiar I call the tower rather than asking on ground.

I have the phone number for the weather and the tower saved for most of the airports I fly into regularly.

It is not always easy; I have found with a little work I can usually get the number of the tower. The airport manager’s number is usually listed in the chart supplement and that can lead to the tower number.

Part of my preflight planning for the first visit to an airport is to call the airport manager to find out if there are any special procedures for a gyroplane and to get the phone number of the tower if they have one.

Why is it hard to imagine? Lots of towered airports don't have radar and won't know you're there unless they spot you visually.
There are some Towers without Radar. But I think there are very few that are in an area with no Radar coverage. If your NORDO and squawking, Approach or the Center is going to call the Tower and say we gotta NORDO out here and looks like it's heading your way.

Last edited:
I've never heard an uncontrolled airport called that. I like it
Yeah, it was an early attempt to avoid the term "uncontrolled" for public relations purposes. I think it showed up about a dozen years ago and. As far as I can tell, never really caught on in wide usage. I see a lot more "nontowered" than "pilot-controlled."

I've never heard an uncontrolled airport called that. I like it

I like using the term pilot controlled as a flight instructor.

Some primary students have trouble with understanding how an airport without an operating control tower works.

I feel there is effort to manage the flow of traffic and it is up to the pilot to make it work.

To me “uncontrolled” suggests chaos, anarchy and an inability to manage the outcome.

I feel it is not reasonable to expect everyone to use the radio and follow the AIM so it is up to the pilot in command to control his environment.

Interesting. A flight instructor who prefers to not use the correct term. Seems it is written somewhere that airports are either Towered or Non-Towered.

Dang all these years and uncontrolled airport was fine, work well, and everyone understood what it meant. Can't leave well enough alone. If it ain't broke, don't change it!

I had lost comms and xponder along with it. Used my cell to get clearance. After we hung up I was disappointed no light gun action :( I wouldn't mind some green light as reassurance. It was day and those things aren't that bright, maybe I just didn't see it.

I had lost comms and xponder along with it. Used my cell to get clearance. After we hung up I was disappointed no light gun action :( I wouldn't mind some green light as reassurance. It was day and those things aren't that bright, maybe I just didn't see it.

Depends on what they told you on the phone. If they stated "c'mon in and land that sucker" I wouldn't expect a light gun signal.

Interesting. A flight instructor who prefers to not use the correct term. Seems it is written somewhere that airports are either Towered or Non-Towered.

Good point, I may need to rethink that.

Last edited:
Dang all these years and uncontrolled airport was fine, work well, and everyone understood what it meant. Can't leave well enough alone. If it ain't broke, don't change it!

I bet you still "position and hold," you rebel you!

Did anyone mention fix or replace the radio?

Lost the comm on my second student cross country. I just did a normal pattern entry and rocked my wings like crazy on downwind. There was about 5 or 6 airplanes in the pattern and I just maintained my separation. Got the green from the tower when I was on about mid final. Didn't get any other lights and I taxied to the flight school and called the tower. They said I did the right thing and had no issues. Don

When was "uncontrolled" official terminology?

My comments you quoted above were in regards to "line up and wait".

As for uncontrolled airport, I learned to fly in '74 and it was used then and I thought up to now. I don't know if it were ever official but I believe FAA even had articles using the term. Maybe it changed to nontowered at some point, or maybe it's been nontowered all this time. I dunno.

Thought so, are you referring to this nontowered vs uncontrolled deal?

So, what are your thoughts? I've always used uncontrolled but evidently it changed to nontowered at some point.

Same here. However, the way some people get wound up on this stuff is a bit humorous.

True true! It is POA after all.

But, I try to give correct info out and this one I had no idea it changed. Couldn't find a definition for 'uncontroller\d airport' in the AIM either. Always learning as they say. :D

Back