NOTAM: I'm back in the air. Beware.

mscard88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Got the Flight Review done today. CFI was very thorough and worked me over for an hour. I had accomplished the Gleim CFI Renewal Course so I didn't have to do the one hour ground portion. Windy day, direct crosswind, and bumpy but did alright. Oh 6' of snow too, in Alabama. :D

We did hood work, MCA under the hood, stalls, steep turns, normal, short, soft field, and no flap TO and landings. Interesting maneuver he had me do is an emergency descent. Set up in the C152 is power off, full flaps, and then descend at top of white arc, straight ahead, and then in a spiral. Guess it's on the new ACS? Have to look.

Last edited:
Got the Flight Review done today. CFI was very thorough and worked me for an hour. I had accomplished the Gleim CFI Renewal Course so I didn't have to do the one hour ground portion. Windy day, direct crosswind, and bumpy but did alright. Oh 6' of snow too, in Alabama. :D

:rollercoaster::cheers:

Congrats Mark!!!

:rollercoaster::cheers:

Congrats Mark!!!

Thanks 'Dog, hadn't flown since March '16, felt good. Now I can take my grandson back up, and maybe the 2 year old one too, plus my son, who has a PPC.

Were you just flying the airplane that was pulling a banner saying “1-800-BOOBS” ? I think I saw you!

Congrats by the way!

Were you just flying the airplane that was pulling a banner saying “1-800-BOOBS” ? I think I saw you!

Congrats by the way!

Yeah, the CFI was an old experienced guy, and he said why not, so we did. I was gonna drag it over Tuscaloosa for the Bama game but we got to fly earlier than scheduled due to a cancel on his schedule.

Last edited:
Yeah, the CFI was an old experienced guy, and he said why not, so we did. I was gonna drag it over Tuscaloosa for the Bama game but we got to fly earlier than scheduled due to a cancel on his schedule.
Too cool man!! ;)

I know it feels good to get back into the air.

Got the Flight Review done today. CFI was very thorough and worked me for an hour. I had accomplished the Gleim CFI Renewal Course so I didn't have to do the one hour ground portion. Windy day, direct crosswind, and bumpy but did alright. Oh 6' of snow too, in Alabama. :D

Six inches of snow in "Bama"? Tell me a Mother Goose" . It is reminiscent of the gal on a western Michigan TV station asking their weatherman on air "where was the eight inches (of snow) you promised me last night". The set suddenly went silent when she realized the connotations. It was a very pregnant pause.
We are still laughing about that gaffe.

It is not fiction but fact. It did happen on live TV.

the set suddenly went

I was in Texas in the eighties when they had an ice storm. It was fun watching the natives trying to drive on that. I, being from Michigan, had no problem negotiating slippery roads.
While in Texas I had to buy a Texas plate. When i got back to Michigan in the dead of winter I was surprised at how much room I was given by fellow motorists simply because of the license plate. I enjoyed that while I could.

I dunno Norm, I've seen a bunch of wrecks up that a way when they're storms up there. I don't y'all are any better. :popcorn:

I was in Texas in the eighties when they had an ice storm. It was fun watching the natives trying to drive on that. I, being from Michigan, had no problem negotiating slippery roads.
While in Texas I had to buy a Texas plate. When i got back to Michigan in the dead of winter I was surprised at how much room I was given by fellow motorists simply because of the license plate. I enjoyed that while I could.

It is a wet ice in Texas, very slippery. I really enjoyed pulling the trucks out of the ditch that had Colorado plates. I did it with the truck that had Alaska plates, and I would make a comment along the lines of I thought folks from Colorado knew how to drive on ice. The folks from my part of Texas slowed down on ice and spaced themselves safely from other vehicles. The Colorado plates just zoomed on until the hit something or went into the ditch. I won't discuss how folks from Louisiana drove.....

Once in Alaska in summer we had a brief freezing rain. I was working in a small village and there was only one paved road. With the brief black ice everyone, I mean everyone slid off the road.

Driving on packed snow in Alaska is almost as good as a good paved road.

I shall ware the bees. IMG_0011.jpg

Sure. Do it the easy way. Get a crusty old fart like yerself to do your BFR. It takes a real man to get one from a freshly minted CFI with epualets on his shoulder.

Good to hear you're flying again.

Now you'll have to purchase a Model 6PC-X Traffic avoidance system though. (they only come in yellow I think)

Sure. Do it the easy way. Get a crusty old fart like yerself to do your BFR. It takes a real man to get one from a freshly minted CFI with epualets on his shoulder.

This cat is the one who all those young CFIs have their students fly with on a practice check ride prior to taking the real check ride. So there!

This cat is the one who all those young CFIs have their students fly with on a practice check ride prior to taking the real check ride. So there!
You said he was thorough and gave you a workout. I didn't mean nuthin by it other than a cliche. Good for those CFI's to respect his experience and use it. Bad joke on my part I guess. I'm gonna ground myself. No punchlines for 24 hours.

You said he was thorough and gave you a workout. I didn't mean nuthin by it other than a cliche. Good for those CFI's to respect his experience and use it. Bad joke on my part I guess. I'm gonna ground myself. No punchlines for 24 hours.

Well I answered your workout comment I thought humorously. Regardless no worries.

Yeah. On second look you did. I did 24 minutes and I don't think I can make it 24 hours. I'm paroling myself. May even give myself a Pardon.

I hereby grant you a pardon. Wave on wave on! :D

I dunno Norm, I've seen a bunch of wrecks up that a way when they're storms up there. I don't y'all are any better. :popcorn:
They're not. I lived most of my life in that state and at least downstate, I was always more afraid of the lunatics around me than losing control of the car myself. Scariest commute I ever did was in early 2014 when traction was near zero and half the drivers were still trying to go the speed limit. VT has its share of pileups too, but overall I feel a little safer driving here, even though the bad weather is worse and lasts longer (and there is also Mud Season).

They're not. I lived most of my life in that state and at least downstate, I was always more afraid of the lunatics around me than losing control of the car myself. Scariest commute I ever did was in early 2014 when traction was near zero and half the drivers were still trying to go the speed limit. VT has its share of pileups too, but overall I feel a little safer driving here, even though the bad weather is worse and lasts longer (and there is also Mud Season).

See there Norm! :rofl:

Yes I think there are crazies in every state Azure. It's funny though when I see cars/trucks sliding when there's a weather event up north on the Weather Ch, and then those people laugh at people in the south when we have a little snow.

Last edited:
Interesting maneuver he had me do is an emergency descent. Set up in the C152 is power off, full flaps, and then descend at top of white arc, straight ahead, and then in a spiral. Guess it's on the new ACS? Have to look.

Emergency descent has been on the checkride for a couple years now. But why would someone do it with flaps, especially in a Cessna where Vfe is only 85? That makes no sense.

Emergency descent has been on the checkride for a couple years now. But why would someone do it with flaps, especially in a Cessna where Vfe is only 85? That makes no sense.

I always thought the deal was a simulated forced landing myself w/ best glide speed. Last FR i did 2 years or so ago we just did that.

He may have said something to the effect of the local DPE wants this done this way. I'll look at the ACS when I get a chance but yeah, first I ever heard of it. I'm going to ask him about it next time I go tp the aerodrome.

edit: still in the ACS and the reference is the AFM Handbook for emergency descents, Ch 17-6. It does mention using flaps but defers to the POH on the procedure. POH I'm looking at for a emergency landing w/o engine power does recommend 30* flaps at 60 kts. Never taught it that way myself. Learn something everyday!

Last edited:
Congrats @mscard88 ! I hope to be issuing the same NOTAM this week! LOL. We can terrorize the skies together.

The emergency descent is by far the least defined maneuver in all of the ACS. I’ve now seen three different CFIs want three different things. All lead to “get down quick” but besides that, there’s not much of a real standard until you get to the Commercial steep spiral.

I always thought the deal was a simulated forced landing myself w/ best glide speed. Last FR i did 2 years or so ago we just did that.

He may have said something to the effect of the local DPE wants this done this way. I'll look at the ACS when I get a chance but yeah, first I ever heard of it. I'm going to ask him about it next time I go tp the aerodrome.

edit: still in the ACS and the reference is the AFM Handbook for emergency descents, Ch 17-6. It does mention using flaps but defers to the POH on the procedure. POH I'm looking at for a emergency landing w/o engine power does recommend 30* flaps at 60 kts. Never taught it that way myself. Learn something everyday!
Same thing happened to me a couple years ago during a Flight Review. CFI says do an emergency descent. I pitch and trim to VG, look around a bit and say "I'm gonna land 'there' " and start going through the checklists. He says no, not that and explains the new emergency descent thing to me. Has nothing to do with engine out emergency landings. It's about smoke in the cockpit and stuff like that where yah need to get the F down, NOW. He gave me the same full flaps and top of the white arc thing he gave you. Said it was the FAA's recommended 'generic' procedure. So I did that and then slipped it. Got down PDQ, pretty damn quick.

Back