Size does matter...

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
...but so does viewing distance.

I recently have made about a dozen flights using just my iPhone 6+ as an EFB, instead of my iPad Mini.

What has made it more practical is mounting it on a longer RAM arm, putting it much closer to my face:

37843436781_0375985804_c.jpg

At that distance, it’s not hard to zoom in on details when needed, or out to get the big picture. I still keep the Mini handy, and on a long cross country to unfamiliar territory I might still use it instead. But the iphone is quite usable as a navigator in its own right.

I just flew from KJZI to KGNB—a distance of over 1,300 nautical miles in a PA-28 Dakota using my iPhone 7 Plus loaded with Foreflight. Compared to the Garmin 530 in the panel, my iPhone was far more useful (VFR, anyway...).

I use FF with my 6+. When I get an upgraded phone, I have a nice spot in my radio stack that my 6+ will get "demoted" to with a bit of Velcro.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to get heading for each leg in the iPhone FF FPL.

Dang I thought was gonna be about....peckertrations or whatever eman calls 'em.

I've had trouble with heat build up on my iPhone 6sPlus running Foreflight inside of a Lifeproof case on the yoke. I'm looking at adding a metal plate to the back to act as a heat sink. Hopefully it won't mess up the Antennas effectiveness.

Have you run into any problems with heat dissipation in your set up?

Last edited:
Back