vintageairrally- Ushuaia2usa 2018

vintageairrally

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
vintage air rally
I am helping organise the VintageAirRally Ushuaia2USA, set to start next March. We are looking for crews with vintage planes to take part – please get in touch if this is something that might be of interest!

Thanks, Lauranne.

Good gracious, what a challenge this must be!

Tell more, and keep us posted, please?

You can find the narrative of the rally and more information on our website! Vintageairrally.com
Will keep you posted ;)

Very cool, and something I would be interested in following, even though I have no airplane, let alone a vintage one.

Do you own a vintage aircraft? Would you like to fly over some of the worlds most renowned and beautfiul scenery? Let me introduce to you the Ushuaia2USA rally! Organised by the VinatageAirRally, this amazing expedition will take place from the 1st of March in Ushuaia, Argentina. Travelling through 19 countries over a period of 6 weeks, a dream for Pilots everywhere. Now subsidized to below cost! Please get in touch with us through our website:
http://www.vintageairrally.com/
Narrative is available on our website.

Update - entry to the rally is now COMPLETELY FREE.

There's a short film on our Facebook page... We're looking for American teams...

Man, that would be great! Except for my annoying job that insists I be here. Plus fhe ungodly fuel bills . . .

But Ushuaia is a great place! Love to go back. Ya'll have fun, and post a lot for us stuck at home!

Man I would love to do this, but at a point in my life where the time won't allow.

Wow

Fuel is paid by us, pretty much everything is paid by us. We'll even ship your plane down there, and back to the US - all free. Sure your boss wouldn't spare you for something as unique as this? You'll only get one shot!

What're you guys calling vintage? The EAA calls my aircraft vintage, I could enter and win the thing easily.

That's a ballsy call - sign up and let's see what you've got!

I wish I owned the local Howard - that sucker rides better than most production aircraft made in the last 40 years and would be definitely a top shower...

(my 49 bo is too new... and I'm the boss- which means I have no control over my schedule
:( )

Last edited:
I'll race any old tail dragger with my Mooney any day, no worries. Indeed, I'll race most anything certificated with my Mooney.
How about a biplane/tail dragger: D17S?

Yeah, gotta work, hate that. Really sucks since could totally win a really easy race. That's assuming I could enter my '62 Mooney, which I'm still not certain I could.

It is perhaps worth applying (free and takes less than 30 seconds), if you get a place there's always a way...!

Let's get that beech 18 in the mooney race!

I think my 1985 C172 is probably not what's being looked for :p

So let's do a what if here and say "you won". It looks like you would have to pull the wings off your bird and prep for shipping somehow. Then there is the question of assembly. Also the maintenance questions come up.

Some of these old birds have special needs (um, parts). Just assuming the aircraft owner covers the unobtonium (parts) this really looks like it would need some serious support behind the scenes.

Everything I've ever read suggests that pulling the wings off a Mooney is something you only do if you absolutely have to. Even if I had time to do this (I can only wish!) the wings are NOT being pulled off my aircraft. I'd happily fly it down there, however.

The oldest aircraft will be shipped down, more modern/bigger/complicated planes will be ferried down (by a more direct route than the Rally route). There is no set criteria for the planes, your C172 might not be the stumbling block you think it is...

The Tigers and Travelairs on the Crete2Cape were stripped and then rebuilt mainly by their owners - each process was 2-3 days. In Ushuaia the Argentinian Navy have kindly offered hangars and engineering support, so making the process as simple as possible.

Back