Murder by...

You are right that is absolutely disgusting, how can people be so demented?

Horrible, so is the one where the "mother" put her kids in the oven.

Why is the 9yr old kid's mother 69?

Although there have been some cases where modern medicine has allowed women well past menopause to give birth, most likely is adoptive mother, potentially biological grandmother if the child was no longer with her biological parents for some reason (abuse, drug addiction, death, etc.). Given that the article said this wasn't their first interaction with child welfare, it wouldn't be surprising.

Sad... :(

Wow, that's quite the coincidence. This women's name is "Posey".

There's a "Posey" in "Orange is the New Black"...

Won't say what the relation is between the two here (spoiler), but it's quite the coincidence!

Wow, that's quite the coincidence. This women's name is "Posey".

There's a "Posey" in "Orange is the New Black"...

Won't say what the relation is between the two here (spoiler), but it's quite the coincidence!

You mean Poussey Washington?

...numbers, one, two, three
It's as easy to learn as your ABC's

I avoid reading articles like this one and the one about the oven. Too depressing. There were a couple of articles recently about parents killing their small children because of a bitter divorce and they knew how badly it would hurt the other person. It's all too much for me.

I'll be in Wal-Mart or BK or McDonald's and see parents screaming at their kids, making all their lives miserable. Some people just weren't meant to have kids.

My kids are older now, 16 and 19, and I can say that I've loved every minute of every day with them. My son is 16 and I still make sure to hug him at least once a day. To paraphrase Jack Nicholson's character's line in As good as it Gets...they make me want to be a better person.

I avoid reading articles like this one and the one about the oven. Too depressing. There were a couple of articles recently about parents killing their small children because of a bitter divorce and they knew how badly it would hurt the other person. It's all too much for me.

Agreed...

I'll be in Wal-Mart or BK or McDonald's and see parents screaming at their kids, making all their lives miserable. Some people just weren't meant to have kids.

Certainly many people weren't meant to have kids, but have interest in what results in kids, so having kids ends up being a side effect. My mom was not meant to have children, but here I am. Guess how that happened. I think she's still trying to figure out how it happened 33 years later.

My kids are older now, 16 and 19, and I can say that I've loved every minute of every day with them.

I'd be curious if you would have said the same thing 15 years ago, when your kids were around the same age mine are now (5 and twin 3 year old girls). I love them, they're at great ages. We have a ton of fun together. The girls, being twins, are not only cute, sweet, and funny, but the twin bond is incredible to watch. My son can drive the tractor (on my lap, of course) and "helps" me turn wrenches. Sounds great, right? And it is, it absolutely is.

When our son was born he wouldn't sleep more than 45 minutes at a time through the night and the crying was incredible. Massive sleep deprivation for both my wife and me, but mostly my wife for the every 45 minute nursing (sleeping 2 hours at a time? That would've been great! He didn't do that until he was 2). Would not sleep for me, period, just scream. If we were lucky my wife could transfer him to me after falling asleep, but that usually didn't work. The kid just outright didn't have any use for me as an infant. I think he got "daddy naps" twice as a baby. When the girls were born we found that one of them has THE WORST SCREAM I have ever heard from any child ever. I am not joking or exaggerating. Blood curdling and beyond ear piercing, and I have noticeable hearing loss as a result of her screaming in my ears (why would she always point her mouth towards my head prior to letting out a scream?). I measured it at around 120 dB. He got in trouble at school yesterday for doing something he's got in trouble for before, so now he has to get disciplined and my wife and I might have to go in for a meeting with the directors of the school, etc.

I love them with all my heart, would never change anything about having them, and coming home to them is by far the best part of my day. They get lots of hugs and told I love them, and they seem very secure with knowing they are loved by mom and dad. But to say I've loved every minute of every day with them would be an outright lie. There are definitely minutes I have not loved. Being a parent of small kids is rewarding, frustrating, fulfilling, and exhausting, often at the same time.

But one thing I have found over the past 5 years, 18 days, and 9 hours (almost exactly) since I caught my son as he came into this world is that the bad memories fade and the good ones stay. Even though the kids do need (and receive) punishment for misbehaving, they're good kids, and I hope (and expect) will grow into good adults. Assuming that all goes as hoped, then I know I'll say it's all been worth it, but the memories will continue to fade and I may convince myself that I've loved every minute of every day.

Every parent and every child is different, just an interesting thought experiment.

Ted - we are expecting our first in January. Thanks for the terrifying post! Haha

Reactions: Ted
One of my neighbors is a pediatric ER doc. He has his stories -- just another day at work for him, but they make me cringe.

It's not the accidents that bother me, that's all part of life and part of growing up and exploring the world and our limits. But the things that people do to their own kids, either intentionally or out of ignorance, I just can't understand.

Ted - we are expecting our first in January. Thanks for the terrifying post! Haha

Congratulations! An experience not to be missed! It is absolutely worth every minute of screaming and frustration. But it's also really, really, hard, so don't feel like you're the only one when you're going through it. ;)

Feel free to reach out if you want to chat. :)

Heh, little kids, little problems. Now I'm dealing with the teenage years. I think my head hurts. :mad2:

When they start driving is the scary part. Fortunately mine got thru it, but with a lot of worrying. Now we have to worry about grand kids! When does it end....wait....don't answer that, I ain't ready yet. :D

Agreed...
Certainly many people weren't meant to have kids that I've loved every minute of every day.

Every parent and every child is different, just an interesting thought experiment.

The fun with kids starts in middle school.

Reactions: Ted
When they start driving is the scary part. Fortunately mine got thru it, but with a lot of worrying. Now we have to worry about grand kids! When does it end....wait....don't answer that, I ain't ready yet. :D

I have taught people to fly, but the greatest fear was teaching my wife to drive......

My girls are almost 22. (identical twins) When they were little and crying for no apparent reason, I totally understand why a parent would want to shake a baby. Not saying I condone it and obviously I didn't because they're still alive and well, but I understand.

@RudyP just so you're not completely terrified, this is one of the best parts of my day - bedtime stories. :)

IMG_1727.JPG

When they start driving is the scary part. Fortunately mine got thru it, but with a lot of worrying.

We'll be taking her to get her permit next week probably. Oh my! But, she's going to get some autocross, maybe the BMW teen driving course in Spartansburg, maybe some others. She WILL learn what a car is fully capable of doing[1]. She recently told me she wants to learn to ride motorcycles and fly airplanes as well. Baby steps, car[2] 1st.

[1] Something her mom doesn't understand, anytime I attack a corner with gusto she flips out and thinks the car is going off the road.
[2] We presently don't have a stick shift car, but I'm going to have to find one. A pre-req to riding motorcycles will be being competent in a stick shift car.

We'll be taking her to get her permit next week probably. Oh my! But, she's going to get some autocross, maybe the BMW teen driving course in Spartansburg, maybe some others. She WILL learn what a car is fully capable of doing[1]. She recently told me she wants to learn to ride motorcycles and fly airplanes as well. Baby steps, car[2] 1st.

[1] Something her mom doesn't understand, anytime I attack a corner with gusto she flips out and thinks the car is going off the road.
[2] We presently don't have a stick shift car, but I'm going to have to find one. A pre-req to riding motorcycles will be being competent in a stick shift car.

Both my son and daughter were taught to drive stick shifts. Daughter took a little longer but son picked it right up. And I guess now you can't get a stick in many vehicles. When I had my Honda S2000 up for sale some guy inquired and said he was looking for one with an automatic. Tried explaining to him none were built w/ AT but I don't think he believed me. Honda got that car right, came one way, no options.

That's a good-looking bunch you have there. You have to love the hammy faces. If I recall, their mom is the helicopter pilot. I'm glad you're enjoying it too. And yes, my favorite time with them was when they were infants. My daughter cried a lot her first Christmas season and I'd bundle her up in the middle of the night and carry her as I walked around the neighborhood. The colored lights would get her to calm down and sometimes she'd fall back asleep staring at them. It never bothered me, not once, to get up in the middle of the night with them.

I remember two things fondly from when she was very young.

One, we read to her at bedtime, every night, no exceptions. Later, after she was reading, she read us a chapter every night. She's 15 and now still devours books, reading to kids is an awesome investment in their future.

Two, 30-40min before bedtime, we wrestled and played together on the floor, pretending to be lions and tigers. Good times that will never return. Great memories...

Good times that will never return. Great memories...

Oh but they do return Bill! Grandkids! They're the best thing and I'm enjoying mine. Took my grandson up when he was 4 or 5 and he loved it, next one up just turned 2 and I'll get him up soon.

Last edited:

That's the way to do it. I learned to drive on a stick shift car. And of course now I have what's probably one of the last stick shift Rams that's likely to ever be built. We'll be teaching our kids how to drive a stick as well, even if we have to build a car from scratch to make it happen. We'll also teach them oversteer. I plan on taking them to autocrossing events, etc. Our son already drives his go-kart quite well and the tractor, but he doesn't get shifting.

That's a good-looking bunch you have there. You have to love the hammy faces. If I recall, their mom is the helicopter pilot. I'm glad you're enjoying it too. And yes, my favorite time with them was when they were infants. My daughter cried a lot her first Christmas season and I'd bundle her up in the middle of the night and carry her as I walked around the neighborhood. The colored lights would get her to calm down and sometimes she'd fall back asleep staring at them. It never bothered me, not once, to get up in the middle of the night with them.

With the girls, infant was definitely my favorite in spite of the screaming from one of them. Yep, I love the walking around and didn't mind waking up to do that, either. Of course the girls actually liked me, which my son didn't early on. And yes, their mom is a helicopter pilot, although she's off flying King Airs today.

That's the way to do it. I learned to drive on a stick shift car.

I'd really like to find a good used Miata, as they're really good feedback cars. Not the fastest, but great feel and they talk to you. On the flip side, they're tiny and I feel it would be irresponsible to send a new teen driver out into the world of cell phones and giant SUVs in such a tiny car. Maybe get the Miata and let her drive it with one of us in the car, and for Autox, but solo send her out in the Ford Fusion sedan.

I'd really like to find a good used Miata, as they're really good feedback cars. Not the fastest, but great feel and they talk to you. On the flip side, they're tiny and I feel it would be irresponsible to send a new teen driver out into the world of cell phones and giant SUVs in such a tiny car. Maybe get the Miata and let her drive it with one of us in the car, and for Autox, but solo send her out in the Ford Fusion sedan.

"Not the fastest" isn't a bad thing. I say that looking back to my first car, the '82 Jaguar XJ-S V12 that I recall doing 160 down the Southern State Parkway at night in. But I also agree with the safety concerns regarding a Miata.

You could go with something like an older BMW 3 or 5 series with a manual. Probably a 3 series just because of the reliability, although I'd suspect the 5s are safer. Maybe even a Z3 or Z4? The Z3s aren't very expensive, a lot like a Miata in many ways. My Z4, despite being a convertible, felt built like a tank, and the safety studies seemed to agree that it wasn't bad. It was also very reliable, and my friend who bought it has seemed to agree. There's not a whole lot that's rear wheel drive and a manual transmission anymore.

We found a Focus with a 5-speed for our daughter. Worked out great in high school, no worries about her loaning the car to any friends when she was one of the few kids that knew how to drive it.

... parents killing their small children because of a bitter divorce and they knew how badly it would hurt the other person. .
That to me is about as evil as it comes.

Had another item where a mom put the one and two year olds in the oven.

Back