Salvage windshield

RogerT

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RogerT
My hangar mate got a crack in the pilot side windshield on his King Air. Last year
he bought some misc parts from a salvage place in MS or maybe TX. Before
paying $18K for a new one he wanted to see if a used one was available. He
can't remember now the name of the place he used before. Anyone know of anyplace
like that down there?
Thanks.
RT

For Texas, it might be Air Salvage Dallas, near Lancaster, TX.

This is in Montgomery AL, 1/2 mile west of the MGM airport. Not sure if they have KA stuff but looks like C12 parts.

Edit: see KA models in there
http://www.mtwaerospaceparts.com/

Last edited:
My hangar mate got a crack in the pilot side windshield on his King Air. Last year
can't remember now the name of the place he used before. Anyone know of anyplace
like that down there?
Thanks.
RT

I would not advise using an "as removed" windshield in a King Air or any pressurized aircraft for that matter. King Air windshields are notorious for cracking and shattering for a multitude of reasons, one being stress imposed during install. And there will be stress imposed during the removal process. There is an install kit from Beech that is serialized and the instructions in the kit should be followed to the "T" for a stress free install, which should lead to many years of happiness. A poorly installed windshield will fail.

I know of a 350 that had two windshields fail in about 10 hours due to poor install.

like that down there?
Thanks.
RT

RT:
The top 6 salvage companies in no particular order:
Dawson Air (AR)
Dodson Air (KS)
Dallas Air (TX)
Atlanta Air (GA)
Preferred Air (OH)
Wentworth Air (MN)

A lot of hurricane salvage out there right now. Good luck.

Many jet centers won't even touch windows, instead that task is contracted out to a window only company like Lee Aerospace.

One Lear 35 windshield is about $50k not worth the risk of messing it up.

Google the Part number explore the hits.

Many jet centers won't even touch windows, instead that task is contracted out to a window only company like Lee Aerospace.

One Lear 35 windshield is about $50k not worth the risk of messing it up.

I'm in the wrong business selling $250 audio panels. :cheerswine:

Jim

I would not advise using an "as removed" windshield in a King Air or any pressurized aircraft for that matter. King Air windshields are notorious for cracking and shattering for a multitude of reasons, one being stress imposed during install. And there will be stress imposed during the removal process. There is an install kit from Beech that is serialized and the instructions in the kit should be followed to the "T" for a stress free install, which should lead to many years of happiness. A poorly installed windshield will fail.

I know of a 350 that had two windshields fail in about 10 hours due to poor install.
I'll pass this along. Thanks.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll get the ones listed here to him.

I'm in the wrong business selling $250 audio panels. :cheerswine:

Jim

No doubt, these are typically a lamination of plastic, vinyl and/or glass plys, as soon as they are born they are already deteriorating due to the differences in thermal expansion and contraction rates of the different plies within them, on their way to delamination.

My understanding is that those model Lears were required by the military (C21) to withstand higher bird strike forces than typical civil aircraft and therefore they are the most complex windshield assemblies found in business aircraft.

I wouldn't buy a used windshield for a pressurized aircraft that didn't come with a 8130

$36,000 EA6B front panel (NASA panel), waited 6 weeks in the IO for it to arrived, unpacked it, took it to the electricians for test and check, they blew it, when they hooked up power they smoked it.

I wouldn't buy a used windshield for a pressurized aircraft that didn't come with a 8130
I've never seen one removed that was still good.

It is funny that the operating costs of a King Air never include new windshields every 5 years. Shame on Beechcraft for installing such junk! Then they have the nerve to try to blame it on the installers.

I've never seen one removed that was still good.
Never dealt with beech windshields, only Boeing, Douglas, ect. When they get pulled they're usually trash. One day while riding brakes on. B727 got to watch the windshield over temp. Looked like a lava lamp. Was just changed for over temping and the installers (wet lease airplane) neglected to change the temp controller, just used the alternate terminals on the old one. Happened very fast.

Not long ago we replaced our whole 757 fleet windshields with 777 windshields, the removed windshields were all tagged removed serviceable and the company planned to resell them. To whom? I don't know.

Not long ago we replaced our whole 757 fleet windshields with 777 windshields, the removed windshields were all tagged removed serviceable and the company planned to resell them. To whom? I don't know.

Depends on the installation. On King Airs, you have to cut the sealant and pry the windshield out, which is why it gets stressed and would not be a great idea to buy used. Others may have a different sealing system.
Plus you can buy King Air windshields fairly cheap these days, less than 10K and about 8 hours labour to install. If you skimp on the install, you will get to do it again!

I was once asked if I wanted to remove de-ice boots off a Chieftain for reinstall on another. I just walked away laughing! :rolleyes:

757 windshields are installed with a string in the sealant to aid in windshield removal. Done correctly, it cuts the sealant when pulled out and the windshield can be easily lifted out.

Thread some safety wire through the windshield proseal, add a couple dowels, and cut it like frozen butter. A little grease or v-line would smooth things out. No prying required. Pressurized or not.

Except that a bad KA windshield can look good and be bad. They have some invisible electrostatic/or something coating that can be washed off by careless washing. And they have electric elements that go bad at random, and when enough are bad the window is unairworthy.

Somebody else was making them for a while, but I haven't heard about them recently. Or maybe they overhauled them.

A 777 windshield fits a 757?

Thread some safety wire through the windshield proseal, add a couple dowels, and cut it like frozen butter. A little grease or v-line would smooth things out. No prying required. Pressurized or not.

I like the idea, but I am not about to start adding unapproved things to the mix. These windshields are sensitive to how they are installed and I have good luck with following the approved process for a stress free installation.

I like the idea, but I am not about to start adding unapproved things to the mix. These windshields are sensitive to how they are installed and I have good luck with following the approved process for a stress free installation.

I think you mis-interpreted my comment. The safety wire is inserted during removal not installation. I learned the trick at a mfg'r field maintenance school eons ago and have used the technique to great success on stress free removals. It doesn't work on all types but adds another option to the list.

I think you mis-interpreted my comment. The safety wire is inserted during removal not installation. I learned the trick at a mfg'r field maintenance school eons ago and have used the technique to great success on stress free removals. It doesn't work on all types but adds another option to the list.

Oh, ok. I still don't quite see it in use in my mind. A picture would be helpful. I like options!

Oh, ok. I still don't quite see it in use in my mind. A picture would be helpful. I like options!

Only picture I had. Red line safety wire. Takes 2 people and a little coordination plus hold your mouth right.

412-MM-CH52x.png

Last edited:
On the 727 our removal procedure was to kick them out with two feet. If they were getting removed they were trash anyway, no saving them.

Back