Finally made a Pilots and paws flight

Crating is really pilot's discretion IMO. I crate my own dogs on flights because they like to come up into the front seats on car rides to say hello/look out the windows and can be a huge distraction that I wouldn't want in a critical phase of flight. Also it contains all the fur- I normally only vacuum the plane out a couple of times a year and I don't want huge amounts of fur everywhere.

For these flights I don't know the dogs or their temperaments, we usually get reports but even then the dog may never have flown so who really knows? What finally made me decide to purchase a second crate(we only had one big enough for a lab) for this flight was that the crate was cheaper than anything in the airplane the dog might chew up and was worth it to me not have to try to clean urine, vomit, or poop out of the plane. We were the middle leg for this flight and I was the only one using a crate so maybe I'm being overly cautious but I'm taking the better safe than sorry route here.

This was the crate we used:
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/you-and-me-portable-canvas-crate-large-2505416

The large 36" size fits, just barely, into the baggage area of a Piper Archer II. This style is really nice because they quickly collapse so you can get it through the baggage door folded up then open it back up inside fairly easily. A hard plastic 36" crate will also just fit into the back seat of an Archer II, you have to fold the front seats forward and slide it in at an angle but it does fit.

PnP will send you free crates, collars, leashes and tethers, just email them. I have done about 30 PnP flights and hauled a bunch of cats, and probably 75 dogs.

PnP is on my bucket list to help with some day.

Yep, me too. I still need to find out if our club has any issues with it. Another reason to give my wife for why I need my own plane. She is involved with dog rescue and fostering so I'm sure she'd support my doing flights but the personal plane might still be a hard sell.

Here is how you fly goats.

flyinggoats-630x349.png

My Sky Arrow does not lend itself to animal transport, but I’d be happy to help with copilot or handler duties in and around the Atlanta, Knoxville, or Chattanooga areas. I now have BasicMed so I’m less limited than before.

Let me know if I can help.

As an aside, Karen and I have done numerous van runs from N GA to NJ with 20 or so dogs and cats. It’s certsinlt tiring - essentially 14 hours of driving only stopping for gas and snacks - but quite rewarding nonetheless.

I just signed up for pnp. I don't think I'd let any strange animal in my plane without being crated. I've tried to clean too much vomit from the nether regions of my car to allow that.

The last dog I flew went crazy and destroyed the crate. I could not take him any farther and had to call somebody from the SPCA to pick him up. And one time a dog chewed through his leash and I had to chase him all around the field with planes landing. So I am kind of off pnp flights nowadays!

Yep, me too. I still need to find out if our club has any issues with it. Another reason to give my wife for why I need my own plane. She is involved with dog rescue and fostering so I'm sure she'd support my doing flights but the personal plane might still be a hard sell.
Pilots who can overnight foster are really helpful, especially for the really long trips.

I'd really like to put a decal on my plane but I don't even like bumper stickers on vehicles but this one is pretty cool.

pnp-round-logo.png
Same here, I'd love to advertise PnP but hate f***ing up my vehicles with stickers. Any better ideas?

A pilot acquaintance based in Houston has these for his Cardinal but instead of the airplane there is a “25”.

He recently put the 40th sticker by his window.
Is it Wade, by a chance, with his 177B?

How about an ongoing thread to post pics of the transported animals?

Umm, ya know guys that there's an entire forum dedicated to just that thing. It's called PilotsnPaws.org

:)

Back