What did you do your private training in?

In which aircraft did you (mostly) train for your private certificate?

• Cessna 150/152

Votes: 54 36.5%
  • Cessna 172

Votes: 44 29.7%
  • Piper Cherokee

Votes: 23 15.5%
  • Piper Tomahawk

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Piper, High wing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beechcraft Skipper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beechcraft Musketeer, Sundowner, Sport

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Grumman AA series/Yankee

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Champ, Chief, Luscombe, Cessna 120/140

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 13 8.8%

• Total voters
<-----first fat kid in a laundry basket airplane to vote (no that's not what I trained in).........

I used two C150s assigned to the Osan Air Base aero club in S. Korea. Both planes are deceased now. RIP.

You said "mostly." My first solo and 18 hours total was in a Cessna 152. Everything else since was in a Cherokee.

An airplane. ;)

Some people do it in gliders or helicopters I hear, though.

Archer, present tense

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

cdfeaae38e76c65b5d777c64d4f20172.jpg

In our beloved Echo!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used two C150s assigned to the Osan Air Base aero club in S. Korea. Both planes are deceased now. RIP.

You have anything to do with those "fatalities"? :eek:

Just askin' :D

Can you allow multiple answers?

For instance, I did my PPL evenly across C-152 and C-172.

Man, you are rough on airplanes! Hope your technique has improved. ;)

Virtually all in C-172s but there were 4 different ones.

You have anything to do with those "fatalities"? :eek:

Just askin' :D

Nah, both 150s were airworthy when I rotated back to the states. A year or two ago I researched the N numbers just for grins and saw that both had eventually crashed and were totaled. So, not me! :D

Last edited:
Other consisted of a WWII Taylorcraft L2 for primary through solo and then a Taylorcraft F-19 for the rest. After my first solo cross country I bought a 1941 Taylorcraft BC12-65 and used it for flying back and forth from my home airport to where I did my training. So the answer for other in my case is a bunch of T-carts.

Frank

172 - then deer strike
Piper 140 (single flight)
DA40
another DA40
another 172
original 172 after engine rebuild

hoping to add to the list with tailwheel training, HP/complex, and MoBo's
and seaplane!

My first flight was in a 152. It was also my last flight, in a 152.

The Cessnas are really running away with this poll. It's amazing how few types dominate flight training.

Can you allow multiple answers?

For instance, I did my PPL evenly across C-152 and C-172.

I should have set the poll up like that.

Other consisted of a WWII Taylorcraft L2 for primary through solo and then a Taylorcraft F-19 for the rest. After my first solo cross country I bought a 1941 Taylorcraft BC12-65 and used it for flying back and forth from my home airport to where I did my training. So the answer for other in my case is a bunch of T-carts.

Frank

Sorry, I forgot to include the Taylorcraft in the list of postwar two seaters.

Voted C152. Regardless what anyone thinks I believe it's the best trainer there is. Completely different than a 172 imo.

Solo'd in a 172, but bought a 152 just after that and did the majority of my flying in the 152. I really enjoyed owning and flying the 152. I think I felt more connected to the plane, maybe due to the size and/or due to actually owning it.

Back