Gaston's Fly-In 2017 - Thursday Oct 12-Sunday Oct 15, 2017

Sue and I are home. We did reposition Saturday afternoon. We had to fly through the front back to Atlanta but at 15,000' only made one minor deviation. I think we had 235kt GS along the way. 2:15 from KBPK to east side of Atlanta. We both had a great time and enjoyed talking with everyone so much.

That's a sad picture. Missing a 310 in that empty spot. We almost made it home. Had to land 20 miles south at the absolute edge of the frontal storms. They offered up a spot in the community hangar and as soon as I got it in the bottom fell out.

Looking forward to next year! Ya'll know the dates yet?

That's a sad picture. Missing a 310 in that empty spot. We almost made it home. Had to land 20 miles south at the absolute edge of the frontal storms. They offered up a spot in the community hangar and as soon as I got it in the bottom fell out.

Someone will probably make a unilateral decision soon but I suspect it will be the same weekend next year. It seems to work well.

Helps to close the canopy, can't really cruise around like a convertible. ;):)

I still feel bad for "the guy" That had to "go around" because "His landing gear malfunctioned" and his "Accelerator was stuck".
Also weird that his GoPro sim card fell out and landed in my open canopy at one point leaving me with this footage of not anyone from POA.

I still feel bad for "the guy" That had to "go around" because "His landing gear malfunctioned" and his "Accelerator was stuck".
Also weird that his GoPro sim card fell out and landed in my open canopy at one point leaving me with this footage of not anyone from POA.

IMG_0545.JPG

Dr. Bill, his friend Bob, 6PC, Masloki, AggieMike, Me, and JCranford parked at Gaston's
P2e1_eou5ArfvkEQZnRsPDjjMsb3E9fAgW5m_9ah4MzlRhW-Oo7KmEoAH4_RoAl0V2ZYcC0XLqNvtoV844S_8L9BJO4DUlGFUGr0u0D4XluHgfw6e2mcCa8uNDnNzxNUQRpYpMr4upUj4GJCWm6Cl4MuqSYSqAO48UFIr1qFZpyW8L5DmpcMkOfkzVCTG9j0otFHnjwSwmE2Dr0nUhi7RsYjY6-sveVquBir0qMeDg1jKKg503PdGoNMzt_QQrx2DVuD4h2ZaLD8DZCuP0J4bkIA2K7IqXJy6vkZc2ic9Q7tdvQcsSvXSYLClI8OauGfykPnM7lwQEL6s5wW6zoQKKanUNC42rKwPMV7UOctsOC5P9rjhZI4VAnTsToCygaD-kP02wxPbADflIRbFs9I2CMbL6Ft-VyQp80ta6aLP_ThM7ZSl3aKEYZQSEQz3NLBjVPYY1FcEUissBwSEEC2FgNhshM-3cRLx6I9tesvaPRolEfHwendo2-7E4roPY6vEbd2vWoLgs5vcUsggguJkume6oSPpbJ4MF6HjE5lg3FlOeR7SCLmBSdcu_UoX4i3YHsF4-SRDkmPmVPhTXkGbfHtDApuk0C47LTuRkjefA=w1579-h888-no

Lance F and the Bockelpeople cruising around in James_Dean's sweet Conquest.
S12VFTEU0cVPAfSoVaFq4-LDFiRmzRMWONnahE5GCiH99YYgxrkWOMNZUL4h0vm4hS0ZTkfrKepa4WkzO4BnPvbkTvAywUH_vLVustUhtce3QPoXN7pUQTxz6pQm45FI5IUjlYabnvnuCJVz3H64-tSVxBpy9gzVRM-K14TRFhyFbj9S0W1FSQbHyYpWjf1pqaxujVtgWFyhjPfLtsWT5HCe-2ohkK5pr3FiPYZGd5Y--bzxEiRNGR6vXc6g5PGPZk8fSZ0igmMtbH0f_zawnEZkk2MhgsT8G3w9uVq68022HFFlu3v2jwu2fkALYM0gjmsBH8mx2xllNxJzqW18p9E-5QdMGjdRPwpmmcN_fqjravVAJKmwcosswmYD9UxSZYCW032ZQQaQVQp_Weob9zWRalbFrn5OC0TPqJ1BflmQ5RQk2H0UZVSvIPOMn59xH7-UwKYUkRsyy8G2aG2uVZOjp6v8hYnk23UF5Tw8Q3uk1P_sjFLz9SI8as_8a5nxAvQPwyWLB_gpR0uQp4-Kaw76juLSc-rxJuVGgiwweBklSSI8Gc0JpkXqgtve1Xg5fxeMirvzLzNE2-zxMbJjyTbIZiGdztX68tAoca8FTw=w1579-h888-no

Mr. and Mrs. 6PC, and me riding in JCranford's Centurion. I'm stretched out in the back seat, Mrs. 6PC is on Facebook.
uoNYxT84GiXgifU3vq07pOe7T1YQL_2GhLIe_VX9EEgIMSC6iAdmXJ33MeQsLUz6r43Jx5dz73V6o9gJVoMsdO6dXrLkw0QOStXmghnkN_a6zsVOktyCcuD-LO2900vKMLxAMYRjYgDCgrq5P6_d58uCr_KjgkxXVBtlhZ4V5AvfOCixgN8_dJO-NgnqwMS_VtYqBAGOevl7Ve954LweE1ZjHMt0kTyZgdTpjSrEkDY9B83N_NUtip1xn7sspA4lSkUo_4YpyhIRJiBrwodTj8_8u9-abV6j6tThvN3ZmmGGxm0pYzJsbXSAvqgUf-7V2S5osTR7rREJqKjwJF2F9qolo7XFqKKUNafepC2BxP3mwAW1kvZmf9bRm-tezDuDEvSzE3-E4s-ytMJVs-r_UMg29LpKDq8QJyJ44UXZPy7ADrwbrvOwJahCI-_DO5av1v43rKVMjx8kXR76r0i3GteMKgloC0ggqrCA1tVJDLdeRIZ5t3Vw6F7HrdOJ8bOuPk1Yr9Giw3BcgjYLcsDuPJSwiFZdfm9u97QIf8245dLL35TXXUG-HqtYrXBtihTZmJz00kqa6t9RabCnjjp_g_TQtvII4D7spNTA_JyNJw=w500-h888-no

Last edited:
I listened to @Dr. Bill for about an hour on my way home today and it made me happy.
Booooo-nan-Zah xyz Pa Pah! Made me smile everytime I heard it. It was great to meet you sir!

@OkieFlyer picked up a guitar for the first time in his life last night. Within minutes he played. Santana's entire discography frontwards and backwards. I've never seen anything like it before.

This is a lie, and there is no evidence to support such a claim.

There's no evidence, right 6PC????? o_O

Dear Lord,
Please make sure 6PCs phone has a catastrophic failure before he attempts to upload the trash I was trying to play on guitar in a state of drunkeness. Bless the starving pigmies in New Guinea.

Amen

Easily the highlight of Gaston's this year.
@James_Dean I cannot thank you enough for letting my ride in that freakin amazing aircraft.
That's definitely a once in a lifetime aviation thing for me. Thank you again.

James, and JCray in the front.
Me, @flyingcheesehead , @masloki and Mrs Masloki) in the back.

FYI, I'm gonna need you guys to keep doing this event for quite a few's years so I can fly up when I'm out of college and actually have some money :D

Missing man formation ;)

Easily the highlight of Gaston's this year.
@James_Dean I cannot thank you enough for letting my ride in that freakin amazing aircraft.
That's definitely a once in a lifetime aviation thing for me. Thank you again.

James, and JCray in the front.
Me, @flyingcheesehead , @masloki and Mrs Masloki) in the back.

It was my pleasure. Aviation has been a blessing to me and I'm only too happy to share.

I will never forget Kent right there "you're going to land THAT?" I was a little aggressive, but the energy management worked out fine.

Last edited:

That woulda been awesome if I'd been in the backseat, which I wasn't of course.

Great seeing everybody and meeting some new people! Thanks for the rides EggMan, 6PC, and Kent!

Made it home safe, didn't even GO home, dropped Susan off and took off for Corpus Christi for work stuff. Yee haw, lots o flyin!

It was my pleasure. Aviation has been a blessing to me and I'm only too happy to share.

I will never forget Kent right there "you're going to land THAT?" I was a little aggressive, but the energy management worked out fine.

every post, EVERY post I get this tune in my head.....

OK.

No way, no how, I am EVER missing this again. No way.

Bryan: Pretty plane.

Bill: Beautiful Bonanza. Just remember this - I flew her before you did. Ha! I'll talk to you some day soon - on 127.65!

Lance: I think it's too much plane for me, but I'd better never let Celia sit in a 414, much less fly in one.

BockelPeeps: You're coming back next year. Oh yes, you are!

BockelPeeps: You're coming back next year. Oh yes, you are!
Well geez, Spike! Shouldn't we let someone else have a shot at the long distance award? :no:

We are planning on it. Shall we make an executive decision and make it for the same weekend next year?

For what it is worth, I think we may plan on being there for a week, Monday to Sunday of whatever week we decide. Subject to change, as always.

We rolled into Lee's Summit at midnight. Stopped at Lambert's for dinner and then spent a couple of hours at a friend of Sharon's. It was a productive trip. Can't wait til next time.

Cheesy video.

I was on the river fishing with my son when you departed, and I knew instantly from the sound that it was you. Long live the Twin Cessna!

We caught a bunch of beautiful fish.
View attachment 57141

Glad to see at least ONE other PoA'er knows what Gaston's is really about! We managed to fish Friday and caught a bunch. Only kept a few for the freezer, but it's always a good time.

Well geez, Spike! Shouldn't we let someone else have a shot at the long distance award? :no:

We are planning on it. Shall we make an executive decision and make it for the same weekend next year?

For what it is worth, I think we may plan on being there for a week, Monday to Sunday of whatever week we decide. Subject to change, as always.
In our world we bid the leave for the following year in October so I took that full weekend next year so if it is, we'll be there for longer next year.

4.5 hours on the Hobbs, fueled up at KBMI, tied her down at 6:30 PM. Evidence of some epic storms in Chicago that we missed. Spent some quality time bumping along at 100 kts when the clouds started closing up around Springfield. Prior to that 120+/- over the ground so the headwinds weren't as bad as forecast - when does that that happen?

As usual, my cheek muscles are sore from all the laughs. Both of us quite contented to get some relaxing in. Glad to new and renew friendships with everyone there.

And managed a snap of Chicago with sunset reflections - pretty wild.chicago at sunset.jpg

Back