Do all Turbo 182 RGs have wet wings?

midcap

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
midcap
I read an article which said this.....I wanted to see if that was true.

I dont believe so. 79 or so is iirc the cut-over. This is just based on memory when I looked into them a couple of years ago.

Sorry, just noticed 'Turbo'. Never looked into those.

I dont believe so. 79 or so is iirc the cut-over. This is just based on memory when I looked into them a couple of years ago.
'78 R182 had bladders; '79 R182 and TR182 had wet wings.

Sorry, just noticed 'Turbo'. Never looked into those.
Macht nichts. '79 was the first year for the TR182, so yes, all the factory-built Turbo Skylane RGs had wet wings.

Iirc all 1979 and newer 182's have wet wings and 79 was the first year of the turbo rg. So I think that's a true statement.
I didn't know they made a non turbo rg one year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If memory serves me correctly...The R182 and TR182 were both made from 1978 to 1986. The 1978 version of both had bladders. The rest, all wet wings....our '86 R182 has 92 gallons, 88 usable. Long legs!

Jim

'78 R182 had bladders; '79 R182 and TR182 had wet wings.

Macht nichts. '79 was the first year for the TR182, so yes, all the factory-built Turbo Skylane RGs had wet wings.

The power of deductive reasoning!!

Thanks guys...I appreciate the info.

I have the last 79 RG built and it has wet wings. I REALLY wish it was a injected 540 though. Other than that...it does a really good job.

I have the last 79 RG built and it has wet wings. I REALLY wish it was a injected 540 though. Other than that...it does a really good job.

Non Turbo right?

How do you like it? Is it as fast as they say?

Correct, carbonated 0-540...de-rated to 235 horse (is up to 350 hp in other a/c). Day in day out, guessing we average 146 knots with 2 on board, lotso baggage and 88 usable gallons on board.

Jim

Last edited:
Correct, carbonated 0-540...de-rated to 235 horse (is up to 350 hp in other a/c). Day in day out, guessing we average 146 knots with 2 on board, lotso baggage and 88 usable gallons on board.

Jim

good numbers.

good numbers.

It's nice...pretty much does what the book says it should....I know...shocking :)

Oh....and to be clear, we could haul more....it's just what we normally have aboard.

Jim

We have only about 25 hours in this one and are really enjoying the plane. My brother has about 10K plus doing pipeline patrol and it was his favorite plane.

Do the wet wings have leaking issues like Mooneys? If so, how often do they have to be redone?

Last edited:
We have more than a half dozen of them in a 20-mile radius (3 just at KBJJ), and I've never heard of any leaking tanks....ymmv, of course.

...and no one's mentioned they have one of the largest cabins in the SE retractable 'class'. Helps when you're 6'-3"/240 :)

Jim

Last edited:
I have a 1981 TRT182 and have never had any leaks.

I have a 1980 TR182. Wet Wing.

Yes, they CAN leak. Mine don’t. Most common cause of leaks is use of flaps at too high an airspeed: the flap attach points are on the rear spar web that forms the aft part of the tank.

The POH limits for flap usage (Vfe) are 0º to 10º below 140 KIAS, 10º to 40º below 95 KIAS (top of the white arc).

Conservative operators and type knowledgeable experts limit first notch of flaps (0° to 10°) to below 120 KIAS, and avoid fuel leaks.

No need for flaps at 140 KIAS anyway, that’s the Vle speed. Just drop the gear and you’ll be at 120 KIAS soon enough.

Back