Gaston's Fly-In 2017 - Thursday Oct 12-Sunday Oct 15, 2017

I checked the unmentionable and it is improving.
I need to stop checking it.

I'm giddy. I just loaded up my Garmin with flying music. John Denver, Lynard Skynard, Buddy Holly, Stevie Ray Vaughn.
Also a great book on tape; biography of John Kennedy Jr. Should be a great flight!!!

ROFL. You forgot Jim Croce. ;)

All one of us landed safe!

As for runs into town, they are down a van, so borrowing the van may not work

I'll keep an ear out.Will probably land around 4:00

All one of us landed safe!

As for runs into town, they are down a van, so borrowing the van may not work

A little birdie told me there might be someone coming who has their own personal van...that can be used for runs to the store.

We won't be there until tomorrow afternoon. Probably 4:30ish.

I’m out. Still waiting for my insurance checkout, plus wife and kids are in Albuquerque tending to my ailing father.

Next year.

I’m here, landed today! Kinda ticked at Spike C.... Weather is awesome, got a rental car, in Cabin 3. Runway in great condition and if needed, sheds water well... doubt it’ll be necessary. God bless you all, fly safely, and keep your eyes on the goalposts... they’re much closer together than I remember from past years!

Bill, you sonofabuck! Didn't know y'all were in!

---

I haven't seen Dr. Bill (face to face) in six years or so (last time, I think, in Houston at the 1940 Air Terminal Museum on a Beech Day), but I hear him on 127.65 pretty regularly!

All fly safe, y'hear? :)

I was watching flight aware yesterday for inbounds to 3M0, but didn't see anything. So, just for grins I moved the map over to Destin (one of my favorite DESTINations), and saw a twin inbound over the Eglin R space, and clicked on it. None other than our own @N747JB . Kinda cool to click on a plane and have it be a POAer.

EDIT: Another observation from looking at Flightaware yesterday: There are a ton of SR22's in the system, far more than any other piston single.

Last edited:
Planning our arrival about 3:00pm. I’ll monitor 122.75 listening for others calling “Gaston Arrivals”

Does anyone remember or has anyone noted whether or not there are white painted tires or anything like that to mark the threshold of RWY24? If so, how displaced is the marked threshold from the goalpost trees? It kind of occurred to me that the charts show 3M0 as 3,200', but I'm just not sure where that 3,200' starts.

Does anyone remember or has anyone noted whether or not there are white painted tires or anything like that to mark the threshold of RWY24? If so, how displaced is the marked threshold from the goalpost trees? It kind of occurred to me that the charts show 3M0 as 3,200', but I'm just not sure where that 3,200' starts.

3m0.PNG

Once you're through the goalpost trees, you're good!

Once you're through the goalpost trees, you're good!

female-referee-call-touchdown-17897135.jpg

We're headed to the airport. Should make Gaston's by noon. Yeehaw!

When you see the 55 year old beat up C-182 that makes you think it must have come from Fred Sanford's back yard. That's us.

P.S. Looks like a 28 mph direct tail wind. Rock n' roll.

Last edited:
eman is working.

stuff that in your little gaston's pipe and smoke it!

I am calculating max beer and meat capacity of the traveler.
Looks like w/ full fuel and the two of us I have 350 lbs available. How much does beer weigh?

I am calculating max beer and meat capacity of the traveler.
Looks like w/ full fuel and the two of us I have 350 lbs available. How much does beer weigh?

A pint's a pound the world around. (Or was in the days of the British Empire.) Basically 8 lbs per gallon like water.

Looking at wheels up in a half hour or so. N882BC. Should be on Flight Aware. I'm not important enough to block my number.

Also my homebrew crapped the bed so I am bringing a bunch of local swill

20171013_093530_resized.jpg

No Dream Crusher? I had a few on a long layover at DFW in September, made the ride to the left coast nice and easy.

N897JB "should" be in the air in 2 hrs.
If it shows up, I would be curious if it shows that it is a C-182. That is what the registration shows up as.

N897JB "should" be in the air in 2 hrs.
If it shows up, I would be curious if it shows that it is a C-182. That is what the registration shows up as.

Are you filing? I don't remember, did you do your IR checkride?

Back