Propeller Paint

It’s not called servicing, it’s called preventative maintenance (43 App A, Sec. C, 6 Lubrication).
Enjoyed the discussion.
In that method of thinking adding oil to the engine, alcohol to the prop de-ice reservoir and ADI fluid is "Preventive maintenance"
IMHO # 10 in 43-A (c ) is not intended to be preformed on a prop where the manufacturer has stated it can cause balance problems. then gives a requirement that all work must be completed by a properly certified mechanic.

Question: why are my prop tips painted white? And why is there a little black/white pinstripe? Pretty. So someone can see it better and not walk into it? While spinning?

Where refinishing is actually addressed in 43-A (c ) is item (9) and where it is actually allowed is plainly mentioned.

(9) Refinishing decorative coating of fuselage, balloon baskets, wings tail group surfaces (excluding balanced control surfaces), fairings, cowlings, landing gear, cabin, or cockpit interior when removal or disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is not required.

You see the FAA has made a difference between "Decorative coatings" ( paint, varnish ) and "preservative or protective material' (paralketone, grease etc) to place the use of each in a separate item, and has stated where each can be used.
I do not see props in the allowed items.

Where refinishing is actually addressed in 43-A (c ) is item (9) and where it is actually allowed is plainly mentioned.

(9) Refinishing decorative coating of fuselage, balloon baskets, wings tail group surfaces (excluding balanced control surfaces), fairings, cowlings, landing gear, cabin, or cockpit interior when removal or disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is not required.

You see the FAA has made a difference between "Decorative coatings" ( paint, varnish ) and "preservative or protective material' (paralketone, grease etc) to place the use of each in a separate item, and has stated where each can be used.
Good to see you waking up, that has all been discussed.

A couple notes on subjects read here.
Read 43. A propeller major repairs, and note any repair to a composite propeller is a major repair. (just threw that in because of a mention about it here.)

The manual JAWS has referred to is not the manual the owner of a new prop gets with their new McCauley prop. What they get is MPC-10, MPC-11, MPC-12, MPC-13, MPC-14, MPC-15 and CMM500-1, as pictured below, which contain absolutely no repair procedures.

Um, yeah about that. Might be interested in the snapshot below from the McCauley website.

upload_2017-10-11_21-26-43.png

Just so there is no confusion, MPC-11, -12, -13, -14 and -15 have all been superceded by MPC26, which is what I have been referencing.

PS Oops. almost missed that CMM500-1 is also superceded by MPC26.

Last edited:

The wording of item 10 in FAR 43, appendix a, subsection c below.

(10) Applying preservative or protective material to components where no disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is involved and where such coating is not prohibited or is not contrary to good practices.

Prop paint according to McCauley below (page 709).

upload_2017-10-11_21-40-48.png

The wording of item 10 in FAR 43, appendix a, subsection c below.

(10) Applying preservative or protective material to components where no disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is involved and where such coating is not prohibited or is not contrary to good practices.

When the FAA makes a difference between protective coatings and preservative, and then states where they are to be used, pretty much over rules what McCauley wants.

re-read items 9 and 10 in 43-A (c ) the FAA specifically notes where preventive maintenance can preserve and paint. owners can paint only where the FAA says they can.
props is not one of the places in the regulations. no matter what McCauley says.

props is not one of the places in the regulations. no matter what McCauley says.

Actually the regs do allow for touching up prop paint in the field as indicated by item 10. And McCauley is mute on the subject, other than offering their recommendations of products and procedures, in a manual that you originally stated did not exist.

You have your ideas, I have mine. Let's leave it at that, shall we? :)

Last edited:
Conversation boils down to Are we preserving the prop, or are we refinishing the prop?

Might just be doing touch-up and referencing a description of work accomplished, not a manual or regulation in the signoff. Something Tom would normally do.

Last edited:
Might just be doing touch-up and referencing a description of work accomplished, not a manual or regulation in the signoff. Something Tom would normally do.
There ya go assuming you know what I normally do.

again with the insults

I see your point. but that is not the normal interpretation of what an ICA is. normally they are referred to as maintenance manuals or ACs,ADs, etc .

One more quick point, McCauley can't flat out say who can do what because that is determined by the regulating authority not McCauley. Their propellers are shipped all over the world and are not under FAA regulation over there. EASA, CASA, ANAC, INAC, determine what can be done and by whom, just like the FAA does here. OEMs can write anything they want on paper even being contradictory to regulations if they choose. There are even ****ing contests between these agencies, so what is good enough for one isn't acceptable in another.

Question: why are my prop tips painted white? And why is there a little black/white pinstripe? Pretty. So someone can see it better and not walk into it? While spinning?

Blade tips are painted white or other contrasting colors for visibility. Does only one of your blades have the pinstripe or do both of them? Having the extra stripe on one blade but not the other supposedly creates a strobe effect making the spinning prop more visible.

For more info on props and what may be allowable for an owner operator and mechanic to do see AC20-37E.

You've made plenty of references to not using manuals.

And, how is it an insult?
And you have yet been able to show a where the FAR s require one.

making statements you know are not true is always a insult, and you do it over and over again for your enjoyment..You've already admitted to that here.

So If you would like to get both of us kicked out again, keep it up. Because I simply don't care if I'm here or not.

You're either blind or what?

65.81 (b) requires the mechanic to "understand" the current manufacturers instructions for a given operation.

there ya go again, relating to a rule you don't understand.

And now that Glen has really hi-jacked this thread, are you going to allow it to continue?

Say you were working on a homebuilt and wanted to remove the paint from a prop, and you won't bother to look at the manual, and there is a blaster nearby which media would you use?

I should have noted an all metal prop.
All metal prop? plastic media would work with out any metal removal. Almond shell would work too.
about 40-50 PSI at the gun should be enough pressure to remove the pint and any decals.

Say you were working on a homebuilt and wanted to remove the paint from a prop, and you won't bother to look at the manual, and there is a blaster nearby which media would you use?
Many of todays E/AB use a wooden prop, the only thing you can use on them is a furniture scrapper to remove old varnish. at the price of these guys, I'd certainly have a pro do the job. or at least teach you the process.

Nice re-direct :)

Blade tips are painted white or other contrasting colors for visibility. Does only one of your blades have the pinstripe or do both of them? Having the extra stripe on one blade but not the other supposedly creates a strobe effect making the spinning prop more visible.

For more info on props and what may be allowable for an owner operator and mechanic to do see AC20-37E.

Both.

Back