Home and Auto Insurance

Long rant posted and removed.

The “half price” company was Amica and they came back and said they wouldn’t insure us after a week of dicking us around.

Back to shopping.

The “half price” company was Amica and they came back and said they wouldn’t insure us after a week of dicking us around.

Back to shopping.

Yikes! so sorry to hear that. I missed the long rant, long day at the doctors yesterday.

Thought I would throw in my thoughts. Have you considered insuring the 17 year old subaru with someone like Hagerty? With an agreed coverage plan? Or will that cause issues with the Umbrella?

I have 2 vehicles with Hagerty one of which has an agreed value of $40k and my insurance is only $700 a year on the 2 vehicles with Hagerty's towing plan of 150 miles of flatbed service.

Back to shopping.

Nate,

I don't know the insurance situation in Colorado but be thankful you don't live in Michigan.Thanks to being forced to pay into our "Catastrophic Claims Fund" we have the highest insurance rates in the nation. My driving and claims record is sterling yet my premium is over $100 a month on a 2009 Chevy Cobalt which doubles my true premium of around $50. The CCC fund was an act of our legislature and although it guarantees lifetime medical care and income protection it has always been viewed by those of us having to pay into it as a scam to bail out the insurance companies. The poor are almost forced to drive sans insurance which is not legal in Michigan. My actual premium is quite reasonable until that fee is tacked on.

Another gripe we have is that the CCF does not have to disclose either their reserves. which I have been told by someone in the know are substantial, nor do the have to disclose payouts.

Thought I would throw in my thoughts. Have you considered insuring the 17 year old subaru with someone like Hagerty? With an agreed coverage plan? Or will that cause issues with the Umbrella?

I have 2 vehicles with Hagerty one of which has an agreed value of $40k and my insurance is only $700 a year on the 2 vehicles with Hagerty's towing plan of 150 miles of flatbed service.

Hmm interesting. I always thought of them more for custom cars and what not. Not for beaters. Ha.

I don't think Hagerty will cover a 17 year old Subaru. It either has to be much older (pre 1980) or a special/exotic car. They also require the car to be stored in a garage.

I don't think Hagerty will cover a 17 year old Subaru. It either has to be much older (pre 1980) or a special/exotic car. They also require the car to be stored in a garage.

Yeah I kinda figured. LOL. Wrong sort of company for what I’m doing.

Back to shopping.

Bummer. Sorry about your bad experience. I'm not used to a week of underwriting review on a personal auto policy. My carriers (in an independent agency) have rating systems that underwrite the risk and have well-defined rigid underwriting guidelines (and behind-the-scenes but also well known appetites that they "suggest" their agents follow wink-wink -- but that can't be enforced against the client if I go ahead and write the policy anyway). That's not to say I don't sometimes need manual review by an underwriter, but it's nigh unheard of to have to send a standard PL auto for a week of review. Of course, sometimes when the agent says "oh I have to send it for review", the translation is "**** I screwed up and this quote is no good, let me stall and deflect blame".

Here's a hypothetical scenario: Mr. Agent runs your auto quote. He's using a rating system that takes the particulars of your risk picture and spits out a rate. Often he's manually entering the details into the rating system - your name, DOB, SSN, your DL#, the vehicle VINs, etc. The system will spit out an initial rate. This initial rate is always given BEFORE your driving history is run. The reason for this is that the insurance company (and also the agent, if an independent), uses third-party vendors to pull CLUE and MVR reports. It costs them money to run those, so what they usually want the agent to do is inquire about accidents and violations ahead of time, enter those manually into the system, and come to an estimated rate and advise the client that the rate is preliminary and based off the final reports. If the price is in the ballpark for a sale, what is usually required is that the agent take the "next step" in the rating system in order to run the official reports and come to a final rate.

What sometimes happens is that the agent forgets to mention any of this, forgets to run reports, and sells the pre-report rate as the final rate. When the client says "sweet, I'll take it", the agent jumps back into the rating system to finalize the application, and is stopped short by a lovely message that says "you must run reports to continue"! Oh ****, there are a couple accidents here and now my rate is double, time to make excuses. You either man up and admit to the client you screwed up, which I've done a number of times over the years. Or you can start making up stories. "Oh, this one has to go for underwriting review. Woops, they won't accept it."

Now, granted, because I'm in the independent agency system I don't have an inside look at captives like Amica. I have, from afar, seen captives do what I can't do in the independent agency channel. For example, I've lost to Geico (not the dude who used to post here!) a bunch of times when their rate "magically" drops hundreds of dollars to make the sale over my rate. That's a flexibility an independent agent just doesn't have. Take Travelers, for example. I'm essentially plugging in the particulars of your profile - drivers, personal info, DL#s, vehicles and their particulars -- into their rating system, and Travelers is giving me a rate. As long as I've quoted it correctly, and outside of some small ways to affect the rate like quoting 8 days in advance of the effective date for the "early quote discount" etc., I have literally no ability to call Travelers up and ask for a better rate. The rate is based off of your overall insurance score - a proprietary number based on all the factors of your risk picture - the rate is the rate. Another family with an identical risk would have an identical rate. This is unlike commercial insurance, where you can regularly call up an underwriter and negotiate for a lower rate for your client.

Bummer. Sorry about your bad experience. I'm not used to a week of underwriting review on a personal auto policy. My carriers (in an independent agency) have rating systems that underwrite the risk and have well-defined rigid underwriting guidelines (and behind-the-scenes but also well known appetites that they "suggest" their agents follow wink-wink -- but that can't be enforced against the client if I go ahead and write the policy anyway). That's not to say I don't sometimes need manual review by an underwriter, but it's nigh unheard of to have to send a standard PL auto for a week of review. Of course, sometimes when the agent says "oh I have to send it for review", the translation is "**** I screwed up and this quote is no good, let me stall and deflect blame".

Here's a hypothetical scenario: Mr. Agent runs your auto quote. He's using a rating system that takes the particulars of your risk picture and spits out a rate. Often he's manually entering the details into the rating system - your name, DOB, SSN, your DL#, the vehicle VINs, etc. The system will spit out an initial rate. This initial rate is always given BEFORE your driving history is run. The reason for this is that the insurance company (and also the agent, if an independent), uses third-party vendors to pull CLUE and MVR reports. It costs them money to run those, so what they usually want the agent to do is inquire about accidents and violations ahead of time, enter those manually into the system, and come to an estimated rate and advise the client that the rate is preliminary and based off the final reports. If the price is in the ballpark for a sale, what is usually required is that the agent take the "next step" in the rating system in order to run the official reports and come to a final rate.

What sometimes happens is that the agent forgets to mention any of this, forgets to run reports, and sells the pre-report rate as the final rate. When the client says "sweet, I'll take it", the agent jumps back into the rating system to finalize the application, and is stopped short by a lovely message that says "you must run reports to continue"! Oh ****, there are a couple accidents here and now my rate is double, time to make excuses. You either man up and admit to the client you screwed up, which I've done a number of times over the years. Or you can start making up stories. "Oh, this one has to go for underwriting review. Woops, they won't accept it."

Now, granted, because I'm in the independent agency system I don't have an inside look at captives like Amica. I have, from afar, seen captives do what I can't do in the independent agency channel. For example, I've lost to Geico (not the dude who used to post here!) a bunch of times when their rate "magically" drops hundreds of dollars to make the sale over my rate. That's a flexibility an independent agent just doesn't have. Take Travelers, for example. I'm essentially plugging in the particulars of your profile - drivers, personal info, DL#s, vehicles and their particulars -- into their rating system, and Travelers is giving me a rate. As long as I've quoted it correctly, and outside of some small ways to affect the rate like quoting 8 days in advance of the effective date for the "early quote discount" etc., I have literally no ability to call Travelers up and ask for a better rate. The rate is based off of your overall insurance score - a proprietary number based on all the factors of your risk picture - the rate is the rate. Another family with an identical risk would have an identical rate. This is unlike commercial insurance, where you can regularly call up an underwriter and negotiate for a lower rate for your client.

Appreciate the insider info.

The dude was authorized by me to pull the database and MVR data a week before it “needed to be reviewed” in this case, and he said he was doing it in real-time during that phone conversation.

Since I had to re-up the “lead car” Subaru policy (with that oddball two policy thing, Subaru by itself but paying for the uninsured coverage on all of them, and all the trucks on a separate policy), I told the current agent to leave it all alone and I’ll get back to this on a few days.

My schedule is a mess for the next few days. And depending on how the maintenance window goes Friday night (oh boy!) could be messy all weekend.

Plus I needed a break from talking to these folks. LOL.

Technically they were “still reviewing” the homeowners also (don’t think I mentioned that) when I told them to cast off and hope their boat didn’t sink. LOL.

Back