Propeller Paint

Um, I am not, nor have I ever in this discussion, discussed disassembly, reassembly or overhaul.My feet are just fine, thank you, standing on very solid ground.

This all started over painting the face of the prop blades, not overhauling or major repair. I believe it was you, Tom, who started educating us all. :rolleyes:

I suggest you keep reading. You might learn something. :D

Actually you got most every thing correct except the application of preventive maintenance item 10, The ICAs for any item takes precedence over Preventive maintenance, simply because the ICAs are the preventive maintenance for the item.

Thanks for the reply…

Actually the order of precedence is the other way around when it comes to a regulatory document vs. an OEM document. Accordingly, regulation Part 43, App. A, Sec. C, 10 is the eclipsing reference. This same precedence is valid even when an OEM declares their document “mandatory.” There are various FAA guidance docs clarifying this.

So in our propeller example, the owner/operator of a Part 91 aircraft can touch up the paint (protective coating) on his prop per item 10 above provided he holds a pilots certificate. However, in order to comply with his touch up, he must follow a method or practice as stated in 43.13(a) which also covers preventative maintenance. But even here he is not required to follow the OEM ICAs as there is no FAA “order of precedence” of the 3 options listed in 43.13(a). Once again there are a number of FAA docs defining this. For example, FAA LOI dated 2015:

“As we stated… the option to use other methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator means a maintenance provider is not bound to follow only the manufacturer's maintenance information so long as what is used is acceptable to the FAA
.”​

While following an OEM procedure would be the preferred method and the easiest of the three, the third option “or other method…” is equally available so long as it is acceptable. For example, the owner could elect to follow an Advisory Circular or an industry standard as both of these are FAA acceptable data sources. But there could others. Bottom line, the owner just can’t wing it.

However, the paint touch up task is not complete until the appropriate write up is made in the aircraft records per 43.9 which approves the aircraft for return to service.

I've never seen any manufactures manual contradict FAR 43 or 43.13, often manufacturers manuals are word for word, even using figures found in AC 43.13. But, manufacturers manuals always contain information not found in FARs.

I've never seen any manufactures manual contradict FAR 43 or 43.13, often manufacturers manuals are word for word, even using figures found in AC 43.13. But, manufacturers manuals always contain information not found in FARs.
...and except for section 2....they are advisory. :D

We reviewed the postings to the forum regarding issues that some customers had with Tempo Epoxy Propeller Coatings. Aircraft Spruce sells thousands of cans of this prop paint each year and we do not receive many complaints, but occasionally a customer will report a can that does not spray properly.When this occurs we will promptly replace the can at no charge or refund the customer. We regret any inconvenience caused by a spray can that does not operate properly.

Aircraft Spruce
Customer Service Dept.

I bought a lot of this paint for the propeller from you, the black flat colors quality is not good and i never complain , i want to try something different

We reviewed the postings to the forum regarding issues that some customers had with Tempo Epoxy Propeller Coatings. Aircraft Spruce sells thousands of cans of this prop paint each year and we do not receive many complaints, but occasionally a customer will report a can that does not spray properly.When this occurs we will promptly replace the can at no charge or refund the customer. We regret any inconvenience caused by a spray can that does not operate properly.

Aircraft Spruce
Customer Service Dept.
Don't you just hate it when a person hides behind the "department" signature and doesn't have the b@ll$ to sign their name to a post? That's GutsNotUs.

Jim

Thanks for the reply…

Actually the order of precedence is the other way around when it comes to a regulatory document vs. an OEM document. Accordingly, regulation Part 43, App. A, Sec. C, 10 is the eclipsing reference. This same precedence is valid even when an OEM declares their document “mandatory.” There are various FAA guidance docs clarifying this.

So in our propeller example, the owner/operator of a Part 91 aircraft can touch up the paint (protective coating) on his prop per item 10 above provided he holds a pilots certificate. However, in order to comply with his touch up, he must follow a method or practice as stated in 43.13(a) which also covers preventative maintenance. But even here he is not required to follow the OEM ICAs as there is no FAA “order of precedence” of the 3 options listed in 43.13(a). Once again there are a number of FAA docs defining this. For example, FAA LOI dated 2015:

“As we stated… the option to use other methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator means a maintenance provider is not bound to follow only the manufacturer's maintenance information so long as what is used is acceptable to the FAA
.”​

While following an OEM procedure would be the preferred method and the easiest of the three, the third option “or other method…” is equally available so long as it is acceptable. For example, the owner could elect to follow an Advisory Circular or an industry standard as both of these are FAA acceptable data sources. But there could others. Bottom line, the owner just can’t wing it.

However, the paint touch up task is not complete until the appropriate write up is made in the aircraft records per 43.9 which approves the aircraft for return to service.
Read the 43,13 1b purpose

1. PURPOSE. This advisory circular (AC) contains methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator for the inspection and alteration on non-pressurized areas of civil aircraft of 12,500 lbs gross weight or less. This AC is for use by mechanics, repair stations, and other certificated entities. This data generally pertains to minor alterations; however, the alteration data herein may be used as approved data for major alterations when the AC chapter, page, and paragraph are listed in block 8 of FAA Form 337 when the user has determined that it is:

1. Appropriate to the product being altered,

2. Directly applicable to the alteration being made, and

3. Not contrary to manufacturer’s data.

when the prop has ICAs and any manual, the 43,13-1b does not apply. the manufactures instructions always take precedence

Thanks for the reply….
YAVW, now show me any requirement in any log book entry to have a reference.

43.9 Content, form, and disposition of maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, and alteration records (except inspections performed in accordance with part 91, part 125, §135.411(a)(1), and §135.419 of this chapter).
(a) Maintenance record entries. Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, each person who maintains, performs preventive maintenance, rebuilds, or alters an aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part shall make an entry in the maintenance record of that equipment containing the following information:

(1) A description (or reference to data acceptable to the Administrator) of work performed.

(2) The date of completion of the work performed.

(3) The name of the person performing the work if other than the person specified in paragraph (a)(4) of this section.

You are the supervising A&P of the owner making the repair of the propeller by re-pinting the blades.
Show me the entry you would like to place your name on as supervisor..

And the correct (albeit of questionable strict legality) question should be, "Which rattle can is BEST?" and I think we've answered that one. Can we get back to how many FAA inspectors can dance on the head of a flathead rivet? Or was that how many flathead FAA inspectors can dance on the head of a rivet?

Jim
McCaulley Operator's Manual sez to use Sherman Williams Polyurethane Enamel or equivalent.

Clearly, in MPC260OW, painting is not a propeller repair.
another thingy I noticed....many props require an STC to apply that clear tape to the leading edges. Apparently McCaully allows it without an STC....it's listed in table 705 as alternate materials (3M Polyurethane Tape 8671).

Once again, Bell206, very well stated. Thank you for the concise and relevant post. :)

1. PURPOSE. This advisory circular (AC) contains methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator for the inspection and alteration on non-pressurized areas of civil aircraft of 12,500 lbs gross weight or less. This AC is for use by mechanics, repair stations, and other certificated entities. This data generally pertains to minor alterations; however, the alteration data herein may be used as approved data for major alterations when the AC chapter, page, and paragraph are listed in block 8 of FAA Form 337 when the user has determined that it is:

when the prop has ICAs and any manual, the 43,13-1b does not apply. the manufactures instructions always take precedence

Nope.

1) As Mr Certified Mechanic, YOU get to make the determination if AC43.13 is contrary to manufacturer's data. What does that really mean? You have to able to read and compare one procedure to another and make a professional judgement. What if both have the same procedures?

2) AC43.13 and the manufacturer's ICAs are acceptable data. There may be others. Mr Certified Mechanic may have several sources to choose from. The following from the FAA Legal Interpretations affirms that. All non-major repairs and mods must be done to acceptable data at the least.
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/interpretations/data/int/2010/inter%20ac%2043-13-1b%20-%20(2010)%20legal%20interpretation.pdf

Manufacturer's manuals are great, but they are not the only game in town. Such as this from the McCauley manual, page 704. The paints listed are what McCauley "recommends".

(7) Paint and Protective Finish
(a) Table 703. provides a listing of recommended paints, primers and finish materials for use
on McCauley products

Experimentals are so easy. Mask off the appropriate bits, sand the back of the prop lightly with 600 grit, spray with Rustoleum satin black, make a logbook entry. Done!

YAVW, now show me any requirement in any log book entry to have a reference.

43.9 Content, form, and disposition of maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, and alteration records (except inspections performed in accordance with part 91, part 125, §135.411(a)(1), and §135.419 of this chapter).
(a) Maintenance record entries. Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, each person who maintains, performs preventive maintenance, rebuilds, or alters an aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part shall make an entry in the maintenance record of that equipment containing the following information:

(1) A description (or reference to data acceptable to the Administrator) of work performed.

(2) The date of completion of the work performed.

(3) The name of the person performing the work if other than the person specified in paragraph (a)(4) of this section.

Good questions... But I don’t recall stating you needed a reference in the write-up/entry??

“However, the paint touch up task is not complete until the appropriate write up is made in the aircraft records per 43.9 which approves the aircraft for return to service.”

Looks like someone beat me to it, but I’ll post this anyway.

While I didn’t specifically mention AC43.13-1B, you’ll find that this particular AC has had more flexibility since 2010. In some cases it requires a specific fact review for applicability, but for most it can be used as an acceptable method or practice even if the OEM has instructions for the same task.

Since I can’t link yet, I took out a part of a FAA memo below (entire doc linked in JAWS post) on the “purpose paragraph” you mention. All said and done, the feds have the burden to prove this AC and any data used under Part 43.13(a) is un-acceptable. There are a couple more references about this but I don’t recall them at the moment.
upload_2017-10-9_13-39-26.png

As to the second part of your post:

“when the prop has ICAs and any manual, the 43,13-1b does not apply. the manufactures instructions always take precedence.”

Not necessarily. In addition to the LOI example I quoted in my previous post, there are half a dozen other interpretations stating the FAA gives no priority (precedence) of one piece of acceptable data over another. This position is further set in a FAA policy order:

FAA Order 8620.2A
“The language of § 43.13(a) clearly provides a person with three permissible options when performing maintenance, alterations, or preventive maintenance on a product. Section 43.13(a) does not provide an order of precedence for these three options.”

The OEM docs will always be the preferred and easiest method without approach. But they are not the only method available to the discerning individual.

You are the supervising A&P of the owner making the repair of the propeller by re-pinting the blades.
Show me the entry you would like to place your name on as supervisor..

If we are talking about the original post concerning a Baron62’s Sensenich prop, I think we've made a good determination by references in previous posts that this touch up falls under preventative maintenance. Baron62, provided he has a pilot certificate, would be the one required to make the preventative maintenance write up per 43.9 and sign it with his name and certificate number. No A&P signoff needed.

But let's suppose for a moment this paint touch-up/repaint was considered a repair, requiring an A&P signoff. The FARs specifically define repair as a part of maintenance separate from preventative maintenance. The problem is most prop OEM manuals that I’m familiar with would then be in direct conflict with the FARs as they provide guidance to non-A&P owners to perform work on their props which is outside the scope of a pilot certificate and Part 43 preventative maintenance privileges. This “repair of paint” being an example. So the way I look at it, we either have a preventative maintenance task or “un-acceptable” OEM ICAs covering paint touch up??

Now if Baron62 found some minor corrosion in the touch-up area and he came to me for supervision, then this is the write up I would make:

Removed minor corrosion from L/H propeller blade surface. Prepped and painted repair area. Reference Sensenich manual 123. 10/09/2017. -------------------------------------------------------------
Baron62 PP1234567
Bell206 AP 9876543

Last edited:
another thingy I noticed....many props require an STC to apply that clear tape to the leading edges. Apparently McCaully allows it without an STC....it's listed in table 705 as alternate materials (3M Polyurethane Tape 8671).
upload_2017-10-9_15-12-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-9_15-11-53.png
    upload_2017-10-9_15-11-53.png
    285.9 KB · Views: 6
Tom is just trying to reinvent the wheel again. Next month he will be arguing the other way, after he reads FAA Order 8620.2A Applicability and Enforcement of Manufacturer's Data.

So the way I look at it, we either have a preventative maintenance task or “un-acceptable” OEM ICAs covering paint touch up??

I think the manner in which this OEM has presented their ICA's is confusing. Hartzell does the same thing with it owners manuals. Lots of manufacturers like to make their manuals appear to be more strict than the actual regs allow.

Just because an OEM puts ICA's within a document titled "Owner's Manual", does not bestow maintenance privileges beyond the actual regs to the owner.

Just because an OEM puts ICA's within a document titled "Owner's Manual", does not bestow maintenance privileges beyond the actual regs to the owner.

Exactly! and our privileges are given in FAR 65. How can you argue with that?

Call FSDO see if they believe Preventive maintenance applies to props.

I don't need to talk with the feds. It is pretty plain to me and others that it is, as far as touching up the paint in the field.

If you want to talk to them about this, knock your socks off.

I don't need to talk with the feds. It is pretty plain to me and others that it is, as far as touching up the paint in the field.

If you want to talk to them about this, knock your socks off.

I believe you do need clarification on how you use a manual with this quote in it,
2. Additional Reference Manuals

A. The following publications contain additional information about this and other McCauley propellers. These may be used as reference. Each of the referenced publications has a specific application to the owners and operators of aircraft with McCauley propellers installed.

1. (1) McCauley Model 1L100 Series Maintenance and Overhaul manual. This manual includes

maintenance and overhaul information and an illustrated parts list.

NOTE: The Model 1L100 Series Maintenance and Overhaul manual may be used only by McCauley approved propeller repair stations.

it also says

2. Procedures For Maintenance

1. Maintenance begins with the operator and includes inspection together with regular care. Many maintenance tasks that may be accomplished at a minimum cost can extend the life of the propeller and reduce or prevent costly repairs. The following is a listing of what operators of aircraft CAN and CANNOT DO.

2. Operators CAN do the following:
    1. (1) Perform a visual preflight inspection of the propeller for nicks, scratches, erosion, cracks,

delamination, etc. Apparent damage found should be referred to an appropriately rated

mechanic. A crack or delamination is cause for removal of the propeller.

2. (2) Check the propeller spinner attaching screws for security and check the spinner for damage.

3. (3) Clean propeller blades periodically using clean water, a non-alkaline cleaner and a soft cloth or

soft brush. Dry with a soft cloth.

4. (4) Ensure that the tachometer is appropriately marked for operational limitations of the propeller

and that the tachometer accuracy is checked at periodic inspection intervals.

5. (5) Each propeller should have its own maintenance record.

6. (6) The operator must have the propeller reconditioned or overhauled when it reaches the McCauley

recommended service time limits.

7. (7) For safety and glare reduction for conventional single-engine tractor type aircraft, keep the blade

backs (side of the propeller that faces the pilot) painted flat black and the propeller tips painted with the appropriate colors to ensure good visibility. Repaint blades equally so that the balance of the propeller is not disturbed. The leading edge guard may be polished on the forward/cambered surface of the propeller. Pusher props may have unique paint color requirements for good visibility for ground personnel. Refer to McCauley’s maintenance documents.

8. (8) McCauley spinners can be polished, use commercially available polishing compounds.

1. Operators CANNOT do the following:
(1) Do not operate any aircraft after a propeller has been subjected to an impact without a thorough

inspection by an appropriately rated person or repair facility.

1. (2) Never straighten a damaged propeller.

2. (3) Never chrome plate a spinner. Plating will cause cracks and spinner failure
  1. (4) Do not attempt to repair or modify a propeller spinner or spinner components. Welding, riveting or bonding are not permitted on the spinner or spinner components.

2. (5) Do not fill any damaged areas of blades with bulk-filler materials such as epoxy or auto body fillers. This prevents areas of potential cracking from being inspected. Additionally, filling a damaged area will not correct the stress risers caused by the damaged area or those caused by the loading that introduced the damage.

3. (6) Do not run up engine in areas containing loose rocks, gravel, or debris. Avoid quartering rear winds during ground run-up whenever possible.

4. (7) Do not push or pull on propeller blades when moving the aircraft by hand. Tow bars are specifically designed for this operation.

5. (8) Never install a propeller on an aircraft unless it is a model approved by the aircraft manufacturer, or the aircraft type certificate data sheet (TCDS) or an appropriate supplemental type certificate (STC). The service history must be properly documented, and a pre-installation inspection must indicate that the propeller is airworthy.

6. (9) Do not attempt to file nicks/depressions from the leading edge guard.

NOTE: It is permissible to remove burrs in the leading edge guard that are above the profile of the guard.

And again, that is the wrong manual or a metal fixed pitched prop for the purposes we are subject to in part 91 operations. This manual gives nothing as a ICA, to maintain a fixed pitch pitch metal prop. There are no authorized repair procedures in this manual For any repairs, it doesn't even give the airworthiness criteria.
This manual diverts all those requirements to ACs

I believe you do need clarification on how you use a manual with this quote in it,
2. Additional Reference Manuals

A. The following publications contain additional information about this and other McCauley propellers. These may be used as reference. Each of the referenced publications has a specific application to the owners and operators of aircraft with McCauley propellers installed.

1. (1) McCauley Model 1L100 Series Maintenance and Overhaul manual. This manual includes

maintenance and overhaul information and an illustrated parts list.

NOTE: The Model 1L100 Series Maintenance and Overhaul manual may be used only by McCauley approved propeller repair stations.
Well good, Tom. The 1L100 series are fixed pitch composite propellers.

FYI 43.15(b) is rotorcraft stuff

upload_2017-10-10_8-3-47.png

Last edited:
I think the manner in which this OEM has presented their ICA's is confusing. Hartzell does the same thing with it owners manuals. Lots of manufacturers like to make their manuals appear to be more strict than the actual regs allow.

I agree with you 100% a manual’s title does not equate to privileges and that ICAs can be confusing. The context of my comment was to labeling all prop ICAs as repairs which they are not. As for who can use those ICAs most OEM manuals—not all—include a statement similar to this:

“Personnel performing maintenance… are expected to have sufficient training and certifications (when required by the applicable Aviation Authority) to accomplish the work required in a safe and airworthy manner.”

It is left up to the person performing the maintenance or preventative maintenance to determine if they can legally perform that work. This would include any pilot owner wishing to perform work.

I also entirely agree that OEMs push an A-Z mentality when it comes to complying with their ICAs. Just ask Cessna who went through a large expense to amend the FAA Approved Airworthiness Limitations on several models in an attempt to force legacy aircraft owners (through Part 43.16) to comply with the new SIDs. Long story short, The FAA responded (6 months later) that only those aircraft mfg’d after the amendment would be affected. The legacy aircraft were mfg’d under a TC that did not include this new AL amendment and were exempt.

And in all fairness pilot owners also have FAA privileges to perform work on their aircraft. But I respect your opinion too. Anybody that signs off on a job under their certificate is entitled to that right. But to throw out a blanket label that all prop work is a repair is not correct either. It’s what caused my old client to call me and point me here.

As for talking to the FSDO, I did it regularly. And tech support. That is how I learned about item 10 under preventative maintenance and props. And when I talked to a retired tech guy about this, he sent me this from Hartzell:

Aircraft Propeller Preventative Maintenance Tips Part I
Date: September 27, 2016 Category: Blog Tags: aircraft tips, propeller maintenance

Your aircraft propeller represents a significant investment in your aircraft’s efficient operation, speed and overall aesthetics. Are you maintaining it properly?

We spoke with Hartzell Technical Representative Kevin Ryan for tips on how aircraft owners and operators can maintain their investment.

Inspection
According to Ryan, the most critical propeller maintenance task is the visual inspection. Pilots should always inspect their propellers before and after a flight. “Look for obvious damage,” Ryan says, “nicks, gouges, cracks in the spinner dome, missing hardware, erosion. These are the sorts of basic things you should always do during a general pre-flight check. Make sure the blades aren’t loose, that there’s no blade wobble, and that the spinner’s not moving around if you touch it with your hand.”

If you do identify an issue during your visual inspection, it’s important to get it addressed quickly by an expert. “Always talk to your aircraft mechanic,” Ryan says. “There may also be somebody there at the airport that’s a certified aircraft mechanic. Have them address the problem. That’s usually the safest method, and then you don’t get yourself in trouble.”

There are, however, a few things that pilots without technical experience can fix themselves. Lubricating the propeller, repainting the propeller to address any paint cracking or flaking, and cleaning the propeller blades are all relatively straightforward tasks that any pilot should be able to handle. “But as far as anything that would require disassembling the propeller or altering the propeller,” Ryan says “you should call an expert.”

Bell206 has his stuff together. Very happy he has joined the discussion.

I read the faa position on the Cessna sids thing. Brought alot of people back off the ledge. When did that come out, I forget?

If you believe that manual gives repair procedures as ICAs on fixed pitch metal props, show them to us.

Once again, go visit this link. http://www.mccauley.textron.com/mpc26ow.pdf
In the introduction (page 1), it states the following:

McCAULEY PROPELLER SYSTEMS
OWNER/OPERATOR
INFORMATION MANUAL
INTRODUCTION
1. General
A. The instructions for continued airworthiness (ICA) in this publication uses the data available at the
time of publication.
This publication is updated, supplemented, and changed by service letters,
service bulletins, publication revisions, reissues, ICA supplements, and temporary revisions, which
are supplied by subscription services available from McCauley Product Support. All of these changes
become part of and are specifically included in this publication which is the principal manual for ICA.
The latest changes to this publication are given through the McCauley Product Support subscription
services and/or McCauley authorized service facilities.

At page 3 in the introduction it states the following:

4. Instructions for Continued Airworthiness (ICA)
A. Owner/Operator Information Manual.
(1) The instructions provided in this manual are the principal instructions for continued airworthiness.

This manual may be revised to add changes to the ICAs or to add additional ICAs when changes
to an affected propeller type design require changes to these instructions. When a revision to
this manual is not possible within the time constraints for these ICAs, the instructions may be
transmitted with a temporary revision or with an ICA supplement. Temporary revisions will be
incorporated in the next revision to this manual and ICA supplements will also be incorporated
in the next revision unless these instructions require restricted distribution

Seems pretty clear to me. This manual contains ICA's for various McCauley metal props as indicated on the very first page of the manual and else where:

Propeller Owner/Operator Information Manual
Click on a link below to select a section of the information manual.
Welcome
Introduction
List of Revisions
Fixed Pitch Series Propellers
C200, C300, C400, and C500 Model Series Propellers
C600, C650, and C1100 Model Series Propellers
C700, C750, and C1000 Model Series Propellers
Deice System
Anti-Ice System
Propeller Logbook

Bell206 has his stuff together. Very happy he has joined the discussion.

I read the faa position on the Cessna sids thing. Brought alot of people back off the ledge. When did that come out, I forget?

February 2014... 4 months before I retired from the day job. Everyone was tweaked including the local FSDO guys. Word had it Cessna tried for an AD on some sort of NDT inspection for 210 wings through their local FSDO. Got denied. They elected to try the "unprecedented" Airworthiness Limitations route and the same FSDO that denied the AD approved the AL amendment. Had two clients with 210s. One had annual due and I recommended to park it until this thing made it through channels. I think the actual FAA Chief Counsel got involved and LOI came out. Cessna stop making 210s in '85 or '86. Go figure.

O
At page 3 in the introduction it states the following:

4. Instructions for Continued Airworthiness (ICA)
A. Owner/Operator Information Manual.
(1) The instructions provided in this manual are the principal instructions for continued airworthiness.

Seems pretty clear to me. This manual contains ICA's for various McCauley metal props as indicated on the very first page of the manual and else where:

That's all true, now show us a single repair procedure listed.

all that manual is, is verbiage to satisfy a bureaucrat when they made ICAs mandatory for new products.

McCauley did it this way because if they had placed any repair procedures in the ICAs they would have to give the A&Ps authority to do repairs in the field, and they don't want any one working on their products except Prop repair facilities.

So, they defer to the ACs which are approved by the FAA, so now they can blame the FAA for any one who works on their products and some one gets hurt.

So IMHO there are no repair manuals for these props. just owners manuals, and overhaul manuals.

Back