Who has landed at the wrong airport?

mscard88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
And what did you do after you realized it. Did you taxi back out like you were practicing landings, go inside the FBO and think about it awhile, or borrow the crew car and go get something to eat. What?

Never did. I know stuff happens, but with all the gagetry today it shouldn't. Years ago before GPS, and even earlier when there wasnt always an ILS available to tune, I can understand.

We've had two, TWO falcons land at KEDU thinking they were at KDWA. I didn't believe the stories of the first one because they kept saying it was a Gulfstream, but I saw a photo when they stopped and got out and it was a falcon triple. They beat feet when told they were at University! Then one day I'm in the hangar and hear a jet go by, figuring it's going to Yolo. Next thing I see is this stupid Falcon on final. Ran out to watch it land and jamb on everything to stop. These guys figured it out pretty quick as they taxiied by the flying farmers club and went right back out to the runway without stopping. Blew dirt all over on runup at departure end and then again on rotation at the other end....

Me either. Did line up on wrong the runway a ways out (4-5 miles maybe), but realized it and slid over for the right runway CAK.

A quick search on YouTube has a long list of big guys landing at wrong airport, including a dreamliner. I would assume they have a plethora of shiny gadgets on board....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If you haven't, your not flying enough.

Has anyone landed in the wrong country..??

I can think of at least two airports where that would be possible. That's not including airports near enough to the border with another just on the other side that could potentially be confused.

I don't want to answer this question and jinx myself.

Define “wrong”

First time I went to Kansas City, Missouri (MCI) I had to double check to see if we were going to Missouri or Kansas.

I would define as the airport you intended to land at. I haven't landed at the wrong airport but after a 10 hour cross country landed on the wrong runway. That was an oh sh*t moment for me. Fatigue played a big part there, it was the 3rd day flying 10hrs a day.

Last edited:
Not me, but in Oklahoma some GA plane must have once landed at Altus Air Force Base instead of 4 mi away at the much smaller KAXS Altus Regional Airport.

The reason I say that -- for KAXS a notice on Airnav is:
Additional Remarks
- DO NOT MISTAKE ALTUS AFB 4 MI SE OF ARPT.

Aerial photo

Last edited:
Not me, but in Oklahoma some GA plane must have once landed at Altus Air Force Base instead of 4 mi west at the much smaller KAXS Altus Regional Airport.

The reason I say that -- for KAXS a notice on Airnav is:
Additional Remarks
- DO NOT MISTAKE ALTUS AFB 4 MI SE OF ARPT.
Maybe it should say “Don’t land if there are really big grey airplanes on the ramp”

I can think of at least two airports where that would be possible. That's not including airports near enough to the border with another just on the other side that could potentially be confused.

Anyone who's flown in Brown, KSDM, has at least thought about doing it...

Has anyone landed in the wrong country..??
I had a friend and co-worker who did, but he was no longer in his airplane. He stayed for 10 months, not nearly as long as many others.

Nauga,
pouring one out

I did. It was late night and towers were closed. Instead of landing at Palo Alto I landed at San Carlos, both airports have identical runway headings, are very similarly positioned next to bridges (big landmarks) and are only like 7 miles apart. The weather was great VMC, I was coming from skiing in the Sierras, when I arrived over the Bay my thought was I better not confuse bridges because I end up at the wrong airport, so I was counting the bridges from the left making sure I identified all 3 but I messed up big time, I totally missed the leftmost bridge Dumbarton which to my defense wasn’t lit that well. So with all this awareness of a potential problem I ended up at San Carlos. After touchdown I still did not realize something was wrong until I attempted to find my tie down spot. At the same time some truck was following me and when I stopped and got out because I entered a dead end the driver approached me and queried me why I wasn’t broadcasting my position/intentions but I said I did and showed him my dialed frequency - it was the CTAF for the other airport. I had 3 people with me in the Archer, we pushed the airplane back, took off and flew to the other airport. I was expecting some FAA call but nothing happened, it was like 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I landed at Battle Mountain Nevada instead of Elko after a flight from Burns Oregon. Not much in the way of landmarks on the trip and no highways to follow. The compass was a little off and the VOR turned out to be as well. Ended up about 15 miles and 12 degrees off....no biggie in the end. We went inside and got a coke and a candy bar then flew down the interstate to Elko. This was back before GPS and we were flying a rental that had an issue with the compass when the nav radio was on. Missed that in the checkout...

Frank

I have never landed at the wrong airport, but I have landed at an airport that I thought was a different airport. I was on a cross country with a friend and we needed a "relief' break. Saw an airport, looked like one on the chart that was on our route, but turned out to be about 10 miles from the one we thought we were landing at. No harm, no foul. No Control Tower so no issue. BTW, it was in a Taylorcraft with no radios.

And what did you do after you realized it. Did you taxi back out like you were practicing landings, go inside the FBO and think about it awhile, or borrow the crew car and go get something to eat. What?
No. Who's at the first airport. What is at the second airport.

Never the wrong airport, but I once started flying the pattern to land on what turned out to be a road next to an airport.

Wasn't me, but there was an F-14 pilot that landed on the wrong carrier once. That poor airplane came back with so much graffiti and stickers on it. I might have to see if a picture of it made it into the cruise book.

Wonder what the Air Boss had to say about that...:rolleyes: Did it look something like this..

Not quite so flagrant. The one thing I remember was CV-60 being crossed out and and CV-66 being painted above it. With spray paint. I think the AA was also crossed out with the appropriate "correction" being added on. There were several other corrections as well. And of course, the numerous squadron stickers.

I called the guy Captain America shortly after the incident. Thought he was going to kick my ass!! He probably didn't want anybody getting any ideas about a new call sign. His was bad enough... "Potsie"

I WANT SOME BUTTS!!!
Wrong website for that. You must have clicked in the wrong favorites link in your browser.

Yes, I know it's a quote from top gun. :)

A couple of years ago, returning from Montauk with wife (lunch date), I contacted Republic Tower (KFRG) for landing clearance. Tower gives me "straight in, rwy 1", but I line up with runway 32. I'm all setup, flying a nice long and stable final, then all of a sudden I get a call from the controller. "Cessna 55xyz, you're lined up with 32". Oops! "uh, thanks tower, I'm fixing it now" :eek:.

No, I wasn't just following the magenta line. No GPS/Glass in that one, it was just a slipup on my part. Tunnel vision.
So glad the controller didn't just let me land! My wife was just waking up from her nap, so I'm not even sure if she knew I screwed up:D

Last edited:
A
So glad the controller didn't just let me land! My wife was just waking up from her nap, so I'm not even sure if she knew I screwed up:D

Eh I would have if traffic wasn't a factor. Just to see how long it took for you to realize it.

Heard a few stories of people mistaking the dragstrip at Raceway Park in New Jersey with the runway at Old Bridge (3N6) right next door.

Heard a few stories of people mistaking the dragstrip at Raceway Park in New Jersey with the runway at Old Bridge (3N6) right next door.

Spectators: Quick write down that number!

Pilot: shet quick turn around and get outa dodge

Last edited:

Did anyone record his elapsed time..????

One of the few mistakes I haven't made.
There is a wonderfully apocryphal story about a heavy headed to KCMH that landed at KOSU instead. The story (which is true) is that they had to unload everything out of the jet, including the interior and most of the fuel, to get it back out.

The anecdote I heard from some old timers is that the controllers at KOSU made it a point to send the errant captain a card on the anniversary of the landing every year. The Captain finally retired and moved, but they managed to track him down and still send cards.

Never at the wrong airport. Once at an unknown airport.

Almost... I was on my solo cross-country and had to fly into College Station for my controlled airport. They told me to report a 3 mile final and I did. They said they didn't see me. Then they asked me to make sure I wasn't landing at A&M, and sure enough I was! I think if you were rich back then, you might have a Garmin 195 or something similar, but most of us had charts. Worked out okay, but had they not corrected me, I have no doubt I would have landed at the wrong airport.

The DreamLifter had to be one of the scariest! I wonder if those guys still get to fly. http://wjla.com/news/videos/boeing-747-lands-at-wrong-airport-in-kansas-97158

Back