Racoons

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
That time of year again, and they are back with a vengeance..

Normally they don't bother me, but now they are getting pretty comfortable with getting up on the window sill... which if the bedroom window is open is just a scratch or two and they are through the screen into the house..

Any recommendations on how to rid of these four legged dumpster pandas short of a "tac-air strike?"

We did the county provided catch them alive traps last year and got five of them, either they found their way back or this is a new tribe looking to crib at mi casa.

12 gauge or 22 long for more fun

tumblr_m55wm1bfpr1qkuwe5o1_400.jpg

Last edited:
I set a trap with a stick holding up a milk crate with fried chicken as bait. She was a smart racoon, not a hungry racoon and LEFT. Got lucky. They can be a problem. Chew through stuff and get into stuff. Seeking shelter and warmth. Unless you want to end their lives trapping them is the best method. You could get a dog.

Shoot them and toss them in the trash, after taking out a handful of them when I first got my house, seems the others know things turn out... poorly... for trash pandas when they come around and I haven't seen one in well over a year.

Last edited:
Best thing short of shooting them, is to give them no access to a food source. Keep your trash cans secured, don't leave any pet food out, etc. They're smart and persistent but if they repeatedly find no food, they'll look elsewhere.

They used to come into our garage as soon as the sun set to get at a Tupperware bin of dog food. And the trash, if the lid wasn't bungeed. We moved the dog food and locked up the trash and they quit coming around the house.

Last edited:
Speaking of shooting them, if you shine a nice light towards they they'll look at it for a long enough to take a shot between their two glowing eyes

Shoot them and toss them in the trash, after taking out a handful of them when I first got my house, seems the others know things turn out... poorly... for trash pandas when they come around and I haven't seen one in well over a year.

Toss'em in the trash..???? The skins are worth up to 75 bucks.....each.

Sitting at Flagstaff one night I saw 5 full grown raccoons walk within 10 feet of me, look at me and sniff at me then walk on. Man. I let 375 bucks walk away....

Or try this stuff....

http://www.dreamingearth.com/catalog/pc/Natural-Pest-Control-c23.htm

Advertised to drive mice away but it will get rid of squirrels and raccoons as well. Non-poisonous. Critters can't stand the smell. It doesn't bother the cats or dogs in my house.

Toss'em in the trash..???? The skins are worth up to 75 bucks.....each.
Only worth about $7-8 around here, if that. Incidentally thats the same price it was when I was in college. That's green, it's definitely more when dried

Last edited:
Only worth about $7-8 around here, if that. Incidentally the price hasn't changed since I was in college.

Not many natives here in New Mexico do much with animal fur. Up in Alaska it is a different story. One summer I was buying timber wolf skins from eastern Canada and almost tripling my money selling them to the natives in northwest Alaska. A good raccoon hide would bring 75 bucks easily. When I lived in Kotzebue I bought, sold and traded skins for a little extra pocket cash. These were finished hides, not green ones.

Not many natives here in New Mexico do much with animal fur. Up in Alaska it is a different story. One summer I was buying timber wolf skins from eastern Canada and almost tripling my money selling them to the natives in northwest Alaska. A good raccoon hide would bring 75 bucks easily. When I lived in Kotzebue I bought, sold and traded skins for a little extra pocket cash. These were finished hides, not green ones.
Coons are plentiful around here. People willing to finish them are not. I was going to get my taxidermist to finish a bobcat skin a couple of years ago and I think he wanted $100 or so for it. Coyote skins were kind of popular for a while, I don't remember what he wanted for one of those. Green, I think they brought around $20-30.

Best thing short of shooting them, is to give them no access to a food source. Keep your trash cans secured, don't leave any pet food out, etc. They're smart and persistent but if they repeatedly find no food, they'll look elsewhere.

Check, double check, and triple check... no food sources for them and no place for them to live... Can't figure it out why they are hanging out at our place , unless there is some sacred racoon burial ground or Halloween ritual for these beast... Trash cans are in an enclosure and racoon proofed. Out cat is indoors and the neighbors are not leaving any food out as we have had some issues with possums and rats in the past as well.

I would shoot them but that would probably get me a visit by the LEOs shortly there after.. Thinking about getting one of these and filling it with bleach, peroxide, and ammonia, put some bait out, and then spray them.. Maybe that will make their visit an unpleasant one and they'll think twice about coming back..

2Z706_AS01

Wonder what a bleach blond raccoon will look like????

They used to come into our garage as soon as the sun set to get at a Tupperware bin of dog food. And the trash, if the lid wasn't bungeed. We moved the dog food and locked up the trash and they quit coming around the house.

We had a raccoon come through the cat door in the basement, come up to the kitchen, and chow down on the cat's bowl of dry food. My 16 year old daughter came into the kitchen to raid the fridge at 2AM and she and the raccoon did a little dance to determine who had the right of way around the island in the kitchen...

The next day I modified the cat door so that it was one way out. If the cat went out, it stayed out until the AM. She didn't like it but she got used to it...

-Skip

My sweet loving snuggly dog savagely attacks and kills them. He must know how much I hate the things.

Doesn't everyone go out to the perimeter of their yard and 'mark' a new part of it each evening?

Quick reminder - NEVER mix bleach and ammonia!! Extremely dangerous. I believe it makes cyanide, and might pressurize the container. Lots of bad results from mixing cleaners. Use caution.

Nuke’em from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

Had tree rats get into my attic in the house in Bailey. The builder left a gap at the furnace exhaust penetration. The little buggers broke through nylon screen so I went to aluminum. That stopped the infiltrators. Timing on anti-penetration installations is critical. Do not trap critters on the inside.

Get an old computer an put it off in the distance, then log them on to Raccons of America.
They'll waste all their time and argue over anything and not have time to bother you.
It's not just POA, I've been over at Goodreads reading some of the reviews on books I'm reading. Wow. We're tame compared to what I was just reading a few minutes ago. I'd post it but the language is too foul. I guess it's the internet, not just POA. I'm reading some of the Classics, so you'd think that maybe it would be a more polite following. We're doing pretty well if some of their commenters cans serve as a measure.

No coon skin is close to $75 today, anywhere. One would be lucky to get $12 for a prime Nov, Midwest coon skin.

I understand the 17 HMR won't be an option in many places, yeah there's always that live trap.

Depending how bad you want them to cease, there are methods. There are times when coons need to be gone, no ifs, ands, or 'butts' about it. Likely not available in CA, some resort to the 'flybait' method, keep away from pets & nontarget animals.

I've seen bad coon damage, don't care for it INSIDE a home or camp.

Remove all sources of food and secure the outside of the house against them. Or pay a licensed wildlife control person (not a handyman, roofer, or carpenter -- they rarely know how to do it properly) to animal-proof your home. It'll cost between $3K - $5K to make an average home animal-proof.

Raccoons often start working their way into homes using holes gnawed by rodents, and rodents only need tiny gaps to wrap their jaws around to start gnawing their way into your home. So a gap the size of the thickness of a pencil can be seized by a rodent as a starting point to gnaw its way in, and then appropriated by a raccoon as a starting point to chew and tear its way in. So sealing your house up against raccoons necessarily means sealing it up against rodents, as well.

Raccoons are also very smart animals who have excellent dexterity. They can figure out how to open most hasps and latches, for example, including the latches used to secure most garbage can covers to the cans. Some exceptionally bright raccoons will use "tools" such as branches or broomsticks to extend their reach to open latches that are too high for them to reach unassisted.

I also know several wildlife handlers who swear that they've observed raccoons using various objects to pry away building materials or to pry open latches, which would demonstrate a rudimentary understanding of leverage. I have my doubts about that, but raccoons are unquestionably exceptionally bright animals who can figure out ways around exclusion methods that would stop dopier critters.

Laws and regulations about trapping, releasing, or killing raccoons tend to change often based on wildlife officials' observations of raccoon populations and the current prevalence of rabies, distemper, ticks, and so forth at any given time. The last time I called NYSDEC about a destructive raccoon, they told me to kill it and bury or cremate the remains. That was also what they were telling professional Nuisance Wildlife Agents at the time. They didn't want raccoons relocated. They wanted them dead. They're also on the list of animals that New York State residents can humanely kill at any time, with or without a hunting license, if they are damaging or attempting to damage property.

Raccoons have fairly high rates of rabies. If you have to handle a raccoon or its carcass, do so with great care or call a professional.

Rich

Last edited:
I had a raccoon climb to the top of my chimney (about 30 feet), go down the flue, lift the cast iron flue dampener, raid the kitchen, then leave. Smart little buggers.

I had a raccoon climb to the top of my chimney (about 30 feet), go down the flue, lift the cast iron flue dampener, raid the kitchen, then leave. Smart little buggers.

Holy crap, that's insane.

Hopefully they didn't make pizza or spaghetti and leave a bunch of dirty dishes for you like my kids do.

Holy crap, that's insane.

Hopefully they didn't make pizza or spaghetti and leave a bunch of dirty dishes for you like my kids do.
Just dirty footprints everywhere, and the fireplace smelled like urine.

Inject mass quantity of vodka into oranges. Leave the oranges in a place the raccoons can get to them. Watch the fun.

Having taken care of a few coons myself, my 2 suggestions are:

1) shoot them if you can
2) get a conibear trap, 5 gallon bucket and a can of tuna. Lay the bucket on it's side and cut notches at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions, open the tuna and put it in the back, set the trap and put each side in the notches. The coon will go in to get the tuna and then your problem is reduced by one. Just set it out late afternoon and keep going till you've cleaned them out.

If you want a couple bucks you can skin it and sell it. Or you can tan it and hang it on the wall if you like country decor. Or you can throw it in the woods and let the coyotes, birds, bugs, etc complete the circle of life.

*Disclaimer: Either have someone show you how to work the trap or read the instructions carefully. Not rocket since but you don't want to set it off on yourself. I'm guessing there are videos you can find online.

Having taken care of a few coons myself, my 2 suggestions are:

1) shoot them if you can
2) get a conibear trap, 5 gallon bucket and a can of tuna. Lay the bucket on it's side and cut notches at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions, open the tuna and put it in the back, set the trap and put each side in the notches. The coon will go in to get the tuna and then your problem is reduced by one. Just set it out late afternoon and keep going till you've cleaned them out.

If you want a couple bucks you can skin it and sell it. Or you can tan it and hang it on the wall if you like country decor. Or you can throw it in the woods and let the coyotes, birds, bugs, etc complete the circle of life.

*Disclaimer: Either have someone show you how to work the trap or read the instructions carefully. Not rocket since but you don't want to set it off on yourself. I'm guessing there are videos you can find online.

Wow, I just watched a video of that conibear trap. Impressive. I wouldn't want one around if my one year old grandson was playing in the yard but it would be nice to get the raccoon that must have been what was scratching at my window one night.

Wow, I just watched a video of that conibear trap. Impressive. I wouldn't want one around if my one year old grandson was playing in the yard but it would be nice to get the raccoon that must have been what was scratching at my window one night.

Yes. I should have added that to my disclaimer. You need to put it out when they are in the house for the night and get it in the morning before you let small children out. Effective but not kid friendly. :)

Pretty sure a trap like that is banned in the Republic of Massachusetts.

Is it Rocky Raccoon looking for the guy that ran off with his woman, hitting young Rocky in the eye, then Rocky exclaimed that he didn't like that and I'm gonna get that boy......???

Back