Mars Flying Boat at Lake Elsinore, CA

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
forwarded via email without credit for photos. If someone has the credit info, please post here.

email content
----------------------------------------------------------------
These photos were fwd'd. to me without any accompanying text, other than to state that they were recent. Coulson was likely under contract to fight the fires in S. CAand it looks like Lake Elsinore was a convenient water pickup site. The daring pilot of this magnificent relic apparently needed every bit of the length of the lake to effect a successful water pickup and still get off the lake. There is zero wind, too. I especially like the photo where the pilot seems to be picking a path through the salt cedar bushes.....It must be an expensive chore, keeping those Wright Duplex Cyclones clanking away!
----------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• mars01.jpg
    mars01.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 50
  • mars02.jpg
    mars02.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 43
  • mars03.jpg
    mars03.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 44
  • mars04.jpg
    mars04.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 54
  • mars05.jpg
    mars05.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 53
Pity the bird didn't show up ready for duty about two weeks ago but what the hay, better late than never I suppose. :rolleyes:

San Diego County should axe a few bureaucrats and get itself one of those beauties. I'll train to be a spotter myself.

Pity the bird didn't show up ready for duty about two weeks ago but what the hay, better late than never I suppose. :rolleyes:

It did show up about 2 weeks ago. Sat for 2 days on Lake Elsinore ready to go. I talked to the crew and they were just waiting for orders while houses burned. Finally started using it on the Ramona fire. When I'd watch it go overhead, it appeared to be going painfully slow due, I'd guess, to it's size.

Wow, I can't believe you guys are talking like this. I brought it up back when everything was on fire, and got flamed to dust. Nice photos.

Wow, I can't believe you guys are talking like this. I brought it up back when everything was on fire, and got flamed to dust. Nice photos.
The latest stories I heard was during the first few days, the winds were calm to moderate. It was more than safe to launch aircraft. But, the state would not allow it due to this rule. By the time they waived the rule, the winds had caused a fire to become unmaintainable and the rest is history... as are the homes and lives of many.

I agree with Richard's line in the other thread about safety of life coming before material possessions but in this case, common sense went out the window in favor of regulations.

It did show up about 2 weeks ago. Sat for 2 days on Lake Elsinore ready to go. I talked to the crew and they were just waiting for orders while houses burned. Finally started using it on the Ramona fire. When I'd watch it go overhead, it appeared to be going painfully slow due, I'd guess, to it's size.
Thanks for the info. I heard on the radio, or saw on local TV, or read on the internet, or something .... that the Mars had technical problems on the way south which prevented its timely arrival in SD. But if that's what you heard from the pilots I'm inclined to believe it - how frustrating must that have been for those guys!

Nice photos anyway. I hope never to get too close a view of that sucker from my back garden, but you never know around here. We had fixed wing and helo drops in a canyon about 1.5 miles to the north of us that saved the northern part of Fairbanks Ranch and possibly us as well, not that I was home at the time mind you.

Yes, winds were high at times, but CDF assets made plenty of sorties each day and saved a whole lot of houses. More helos/birds in the air would have saved more.

Last edited:
Nice PIX of one of a surviving pair of unique ol' dinosuars , thanks!

Back