American Made - Tom Cruise new movie

Useless fact: The average American goes to the theater to watch a movie 3 times a year. The average Japanese - once.
I read a quote the other day that was kinda funny. Something along the lines of take a look at how stupid the average person is, and then know that half of the population is dumber than that person.

I read a quote the other day that was kinda funny. Something along the lines of take a look at how stupid the average person is, and then know that half of the population is dumber than that person.
I thought that was humorous too. Especially the irony in that the person making fun of the stupidity of the average person, misused the term "average". I think he meant "median".

Useless fact: The average American goes to the theater to watch a movie 3 times a year. The average Japanese - once.

Yikes.....Last movie I went to was "Something About Mary". I think that was in 1999 or so.

Ok, so I am a cheap date....

Or from my era, Paul Mantz during filming of the original Flight of The Phoenix ...

"When the NTSB accident report was later released, it cited pilot error, stating “pilot-in-command misjudged altitude…airframe overload failure…and alcoholic impairment and judgment.” It’s hard to understand today, but Mantz drank when he flew—and judging by his performances, was still a good stick."

Wow.....

I saw the movie, I liked it, some humor, lots of flying, good Central America, Gulf Coast scenery. Some of those flying shots go by so quick you don’ have enough time to feast your eyes.

Now I've got to see it. I like Henning. And always will.
I watched this movie last night and that made me remember Henning telling me stories about the CIA running drugs out of some airport in Arizona. Most of the details in those stories were pretty consistent with the movie for whatever that's worth. I see he's no longer a member here, what happened?

I watched this movie last night and that made me remember Henning telling me stories about the CIA running drugs out of some airport in Arizona. Most of the details in those stories were pretty consistent with the movie for whatever that's worth. I see he's no longer a member here, what happened?

He got banned a few times and then just gave up. He was a good dude, could write a book about his flying experiences.

The cartel got him.

I thought that was humorous too. Especially the irony in that the person making fun of the stupidity of the average person, misused the term "average". I think he meant "median".
Pfft like most people would know the difference.

Henning is alive and well. And when they make the movie of his adventures they won't have to embellish much. And I'd buy a popcorn and soda and take my wife. Give her an elbow to the arm and whisper, "I knew him back when...".

I don't know if that is true, too many options out there now...with Netflix, Redbox...etc

And some of it might even be true.

Truth hurts sometimes, but it's what you do with the truth is all that matters!

Just got home after watching it. I enjoyed it due to the flying scenes and some real life history that is intertwined though I do understand from what I've read that there are numerous historical inaccuracies. Still I'd recommend it.

From the preview, Tom (as Barry) says near the beginning "I'm Barry Seal, and some of this **** actually happened." It's a movie, not a documentary, so it's going to have inaccuracies as part of the "dramatic license".

From some of the interviews I listened to, it seemed like for the most part they had their operation working such that it was a pretty good machine that the day-to-day realities were likely less dramatic, but that would make a less interesting move. So add in some cool airplane scenes (some of which are likely based on some things that actually happened) with the basic story and some true bits, and you have something entertaining.

I don't know if you read what I wrote. ;)

What I'm saying is not many people even go to a theater 3 times a year especially with Netflix and Redbox all of those are movies you can watch at home. Not only that it's what you watch too that is important.

3 times a year as a national average is entirely plausible, even though I use Netflix & Comcast I probably go 2 times a year to a movie theater if I like to watch a movie on a large screen, I only have such need for some special movies and I am hardly in an age group that seeks entertainment. So they know how many tickets were sold nationally and divide by population, big deal.

Those are reviews from critics. What normal people think of the movie can be much different.
Agreed.
Many people make the common mistake of confusing popularity with quality.

For those that may have missed it, here is an article about the plane crash and lawsuits that killed two and paralyzed a third person during the filming.

http://people.com/movies/deadly-plane-crash-on-set-of-tom-cruise-movie-what-really-happened/
Careful, don't just go blindly trusting every c*ap source there is out there.
Contrary to popular belief, the crash has nothing to do with the movie, filming or Tom Cruise. Which, of course, won't stop the lawyers from suing everyone they can think of to get rich off of a tragedy.

Another useless fact: there is no "Average American". But if they want to average Americans' habits as a total, that would work. I guess my family's going to the movies once a decade is averaged out by thousands who go pretty much weekly. :)
Statistical science is not science, it is witchcraft. You gotta know how to cast the spell and how to bend the data in your favor to prove whatever you are trying to pass off as the truth. Just look at marketing, the art of statistics abuse. :D
But I will add to the statistical mayhem tonight when we will attend a screening of this new comedy with a bunch of pilot friends. Should be fun. Not expecting a masterpiece or factual documentary, just mindless fun. Should not be disappointed. :)

From the preview, Tom (as Barry) says near the beginning "I'm Barry Seal, and some of this **** actually happened." It's a movie, not a documentary, so it's going to have inaccuracies as part of the "dramatic license".

From some of the interviews I listened to, it seemed like for the most part they had their operation working such that it was a pretty good machine that the day-to-day realities were likely less dramatic, but that would make a less interesting move. So add in some cool airplane scenes (some of which are likely based on some things that actually happened) with the basic story and some true bits, and you have something entertaining.
It's one thing to fictionalized real events. But according to people supposedly in the know, the basic premise of the film is false.

It's one thing to fictionalized real events. But according to people supposedly in the know, the basic premise of the film is false.
If you were expecting a documentary I suspect your perception of "based on a true story" is very different than mine.

Your expectations is correct - it was based on a true story, nothing more. I am reading the original story and clearly there are many parallels. What was clearly changed for the movie was how he started the whole thing - in the movie he was recruited from the beginning, in reality it was a bit more complicated. In reality Barry did a lot less flying than his brother in law - clearly this is where things in the movie are different. Some other details were changed too, so what? "Based" means artistic license gives you right to change quite a few things, you can change names, details, events, etc. even change the ending, at least here they recreated the end reasonably faithfully.

Our most local theater just closed 3 weeks ago, unexpectedly. It was fairly modern, about 6 screens, even sold beer if one wanted. I liked it, even went once in a while.

I agree, stiff competition from Netflix & Amazon Prime. Then we have the household IT guy(not me) who seems to be able to find anything on the web, just after release. No, the FCC hasn’t come a knocking yet.

I may just wait a bit on this one. I blew my $$ on Dunkirk and seemed to be left expecting a little more.

(OKAY SPOILER ALERT FROM THIS POINT ON) So if you are going to watch this movie then don't read past this line!!

So what did you think about the movie?

#1. I did notice the King air in the movie pretty sure they didn't make that particular model in the 70's (350i)
#2. When you have money all over the place there is always someone out there that wants to take you down.
#3. Tom Cruise (Still don't know why people don't like him) did a pretty good job in this movie.
#4. Movie made 112 Million worldwide so far, it was played in Europe first in August.

What did you think?

I thought the movie was pretty entertaining. Some inconsistencies, but overall, fun to watch, the average non pilot will find it plenty believable, and it looks like it would be fun as hell to be Barry Seal back then...until the bitter end of course.

3 times a year as a national average is entirely plausible, even though I use Netflix & Comcast I probably go 2 times a year to a movie theater if I like to watch a movie on a large screen, I only have such need for some special movies and I am hardly in an age group that seeks entertainment. So they know how many tickets were sold nationally and divide by population, big deal.
I prefer to watch movies at home (I have a decent home theater), but my GF drags me out two or three times a year.

I prefer to watch movies at home (I have a decent home theater), but my GF drags me out two or three times a year.

I also prefer watching movies at home, I can usually pause them, pour myself a drink, fix a meal, etc, so it must be really a special movie that compels me to drive, park and put up with obnoxious previews, smell of popcorn and way too loud sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I thought the movie was pretty entertaining. Some inconsistencies, but overall, fun to watch, the average non pilot will find it plenty believable, and it looks like it would be fun as hell to be Barry Seal back then...until the bitter end of course.

1. Put the airplane on Autopilot and go in the back? :rolleyes: (W&B much?)
2. Crash the airplane, no cops and Cocaine all over your body WTF
3. Kicking 100 dollar bills all over the place and the Cartels put a contract out on you
but you chose to stay in Louisiana?

...Then we have the household IT guy(not me) who seems to be able to find anything on the web, just after release. No, the FCC hasn’t come a knocking yet.

I have a good friend who had that knack. Then, one day he came home and his cable service was out. Called the provider and they told him "The Man" (I think the Motion Picture Association or some such organization) had picked up on his abuse of copyright laws and triggered his cable company to pull the plug. "The Man" also filed criminal charges. He got the cable reinstated, and $4k of legal fees and fines later, he had the charges dropped and was on his merry way. He no longer dabbles in those activities. ;-)

The wife and I saw it a few days ago and enjoyed it.

Back