The Toybox thread

True to my Arkansas heritage, I have one of these in my backyard. It's still on it's inflated nylon tires and not up on blocks but it has been patiently waiting on me to stop fiddling around with getting my airplane where I want it and start restoring it. I would rather have a fastback but this little coupe after a restomod will suit me just fine.

Love to have a '67 or '68 Fastback, best looking Mustang IMO.

gallery_11158_220_425808.jpg

Mine is a '65 coo pay. Original 289 that ran when I parked it but before the pack rats got to it. Plan is to replace it with a crate 302 and an OD transmission.

Mine is a '65 coo pay. Original 289 that ran when I parked it but before the pack rats got to it. Plan is to replace it with a crate 302 and an OD transmission.

Sweet Tim. Pic?

Cool. No scatter shield (think that's what they're called)?. I remember in the 60s watching a '57 Chev blow his tranny and crap went all over the place but the car had a shield that protected his ass. Think it was an 1/8 mile track.

I had a scatter shield to protect me if the flywheel came apart, plus a bullet proof blanket around the transmission.

After every run and coming to a stop in the cool down area, the brakes would be just smoking. Also, my adrenalin would be flowing so hard I would actually need help getting my helmet off. It was a handful to drive.

Whoever built that model has got some mad skills although the chrome pitting is a bit too large.

It is exceptional but I can't imagine going through that much work to make one look like that. Of course, I feel that way about "Rat Rods" and Fender's new antique guitars as well.

I had a scatter shield to protect me if the flywheel came apart, plus a bullet proof blanket around the transmission.

After every run and coming to a stop in the cool down area, the brakes would be just smoking. Also, my adrenalin would be flowing so hard I would actually need help getting my helmet off. It was a handful to drive.

Yeah that's what blew on that '57, flywheel. Should have packed a Cirrus chute to help slow ya!

Love the fast back but it has to be bullit green...

It could be pink or even worse Auburn orange I wouldn't care. But I would repaint it for sure, probably Bullit green too.

Yeah that's what blew on that '57, flywheel. Should have packed a Cirrus chute to help slow ya!

It had the smallest drag chute I could find. When it would "pop" it did so hard that my shoulders would be sore for the next few days.

It had the smallest drag chute I could find. When it would "pop" it did so hard that my shoulders would be sore for the next few days.

I bet! Amazing how fast the top ones are today, 330+ I think.

C1 1962 would be mighty fine for me.

The silver C1 in my pics is a '61 315hp fuelie with the RPO 687 "big brake heavy duty suspension" option. The '58 sitting next to it is the 290hp fuelie. I much prefer the lines of the last of the C1's to the earlier ones. The white one next to the jag is a V-8 '55 and a Duntov award winner.

I think I've posted some of these before, but here is the rest of the collection. Except for a few they all get driven. We use the "shop" for fun with friends and family and open it up for charity events.

View attachment 56714 View attachment 56715 View attachment 56716 View attachment 56717 View attachment 56718 View attachment 56719 View attachment 56720 View attachment 56721 View attachment 56722 View attachment 56723

Jeez thought I was cool owning an old El Camino and Honda S2000....

In addition to the C2, I have a C6. I would love to trade the C6 in for a new C7 but that's not happening anytime soon. Maybe someday.
Love the C6, but overall my two favorites are the C2 and the C7. The C3 body style is classic for me (what I grew up with) and I love it, but there were several years it was too underpowered to carry the emblem imo.

C1 1962 would be mighty fine for me.

View attachment 56737
Nobody can ever put down a C1. It was ahead of its time and is the grand daddy to the lineage.
That said, the different years truly yielded a different body style... reference the single headlight early years.

James, when's the POA cool car flyin so we can all come ogle your car pron?

I think I've posted some of these before, but here is the rest of the collection. Except for a few they all get driven. We use the "shop" for fun with friends and family and open it up for charity events.

View attachment 56714 View attachment 56715 View attachment 56716 View attachment 56717 View attachment 56718 View attachment 56719 View attachment 56720 View attachment 56721 View attachment 56722 View attachment 56723
Well... obviously you are in a much better situation than most of us.

That said, what an awesome collection!!!
It appears you treat these cars well, which is important. Happy to have you as a good curator.

IMG_3384.JPG I bow down to the egg-cellent collection!

---

Here's my toy (besides the Bonanza). Daily driver '86-'90, and regularly driven for a while thereafter. Now, partway back from being somewhat neglected...

My uncle had a Kaiser Darrin like James'. Very cool car, doors slid rather than swung to open. How many generations did it take to put that collection together, James?
Leno got nuthin on you...

My uncle had a Kaiser Darrin like James'. Very cool car, doors slid rather than swung to open. How many generations did it take to put that collection together, James?
Leno got nuthin on you...

At 90hp it drives ... in a stately manner. Very cool story about its history and I think there are only 180-220 of them known to still exist. We started about 25 years ago, but most of that has been put together in the last 10. The Kaiser came from Barrett this last January. Dad had a modified split window coupe that he drag raced as a young man and that my mom used as her daily driver when he was in Vietnam. Cars have always been part of his DNA and I caught the bug very early as well.

To be honest this is not my toy, but belongs to my son. He bought while in the Persian Gulf with his hazardous duty pay, and left it up to dear old dad to take care of all the arrangements, so I drove it quite a bit getting it ready for him to take over when he returned. This is a frame off restoration of a 68 Chevelle, with a 574 big block, 750 HP at the fly wheel and 650 at the rear wheels (geared too high). After he got home we ditched the 1050 dual pumper for a Holley Fuel Injection system which had improved drivability greatly. It is currently for sale but I am not listing it, just PM me if you are interested.

The attached pictures do not do the car justice.IMAG0381.jpg VIDEO0016_0000017032.jpg

Toys are too much fun! Sold my sport and race bikes, but had a blast on those for many years as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4497.JPG
    IMG_4497.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 26
  • FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3280_hdr_mode_1.jpg
    IMG_3280_hdr_mode_1.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 24
At 90hp it drives ... in a stately manner. Very cool story about its history and I think there are only 180-220 of them known to still exist. We started about 25 years ago, but most of that has been put together in the last 10. The Kaiser came from Barrett this last January. Dad had a modified split window coupe that he drag raced as a young man and that my mom used as her daily driver when he was in Vietnam. Cars have always been part of his DNA and I caught the bug very early as well.

James,

I can no longer contain myself and have to ask where your 'garage' is and if it's open to the public. I sure as heck would like to see your collection but my chances of getting to Ames where I have a longtime friend are currently slim. My friend, OTOH, lives much closer and is always interested in old cars and planes.

I'm 77, and recall many of the names of many of the cars you have. Packard, Pontiac, and others were built close to where I live, the exception being the 'South Bend Vibrator' being built in...... You guessed it.

Long since gone oil company names (Speedway excepted but back in the day it was Speedway 79) have come and gone in my lifetime. I'm just sitting here reminiscing about days gone by.

I'm 77, and recall many of the names of many of the cars you have. Packard, Pontiac, and others were built close to where I live, the exception being the 'South Bend Vibrator' being built in...... You guessed it.

Studebaker built in South Bend correct? Had a layover once and some kind of Studebacker affair going on, bunch of them at the hotel. Think it was Studebacker.

Studebaker built in South Bend correct? Had a layover once and some kind of Studebacker affair going on, bunch of them at the hotel. Think it was Studebacker.

Yep, Studebaker was colloquially known as the 'South Bend Vibrator'. Made in Detroit, or environs, was the word of the day back then.

Back