A $100k pickup truck...

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/28/ford-bets-theres-a-market-for-its-100000-f-450-pickup-trucks.html

"Imagine opening the door to your humidor and sinking into your favorite leather lounge chair — that's the sensation new Super Duty Limited inspires," said Ford design manager Aileen Barraza.

Now imagine walking through the pasture and getting your boots caked in mud, hay, and horse manure then sticking your boots right into that $100,000 humidor.

What are they thinking? Do they not know what trucks are for?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/28/ford-bets-theres-a-market-for-its-100000-f-450-pickup-trucks.html

Now imagine walking through the pasture and getting your boots caked in mud, hay, and horse manure then sticking your boots right into that $100,000 humidor.

What are they thinking? Do they not know what trucks are for?

They absolutely will sell. Trust me. And probably more than you think.

Think, for example, about people who show and/or race horses. Long road trips hauling the horse trailer around. Retired folks wanting to tow giant 5th wheel campers on their retirement travels. The guy who just wants to have the super awesome truck.

My new Ram wasn't anywhere close to that price, but with the Laramie package it's got some nice luxury features on it. Heated and ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, super integrated 8.4" everything radio system whatever awesomeness, etc. And with that I've still got a 4500 lb payload and can tow just about anything I could attach to it. Reality is its main truck job will be towing and hauling, not getting out in the mud.

Think of it as the Cirrus SR22T of new pick up trucks. Without the chute, because you can just run over most anything that gets in your way.
It will suddenly all start to make sense. Sort of. ;)

Think of it as the Cirrus SR22T of new pick up trucks. Without the chute, because you can just run over most anything that gets in your way.
It will suddenly all start to make sense. Sort of. ;)

The parachute required to drop an F-450 out of a C-130 would be pretty fun, though...

The parachute required to drop an F-450 out of a C-130 would be pretty fun, though...

When all the truck makers finally run out of ideas to differentiate their product from all the others, I have no doubt they will think of this and do it. :D

Reactions: Ted
Safety rating oughta be pretty high. Not too many things on the road other than 18 wheelers that'd be a threat.

I guess I'm just not the target demographic for these companies anymore. When I go truck shopping I really don't want an interior that is too nice or anything too expensive because I know what it's getting used for and I don't want to fell like I have to mind the upholstery every time I get in covered in god knows what on a rainy muddy day.

If you need to tow stuff, for that kind of money you can get a real truck.

People spend that much on a horse trailer, and that looks like a mighty fine rig for towing. I bet they sell plenty of them.

People spend that much money on a horse.
And the only way they get a heated seat is to ride it bareback...

Define "real" truck...while I am no Ford fan the F450 is a commercial chassis and powerplant that is being adapted to the luxury market. Thing is pretty legit in the truck category.

If you are talking getting into a Volvo/Ferightliner/Semi truck level...I have owned those...they suck to drive and are designed for a commercial application compared to what the 450 has to offer in driver comfort. I have never been in a commercial truck yet that can touch a nice passenger truck in comfort.

This thing will do well...lots of folks who want a luxury truck over a luxury car but would not be caught dead in a Escalade or Hummer nor want a gimmick truck like the Raptor. It is not a city car, but there is a LOT of wealth outside city limits in Middle America.

Last edited:
It's probably very nice on the inside, but it's hideous on the outside IMO

104738359-FordSuperDuty-Limited.530x298.jpg

Define "real" truck...while I am no Ford fan the F450 is a commercial chassis and powerplant that is being adapted to the luxury market. Thing is pretty legit in the truck category.

Still pretty wimpy compared with a medium duty truck like a 4000 series International or a Freightliner M2. If you have 100k to spend and 'towing and hauling' are the excuse, you are going to get more done with one of the medium duty chassis. But you don't buy a platinum trim F450 to tow and haul. You buy it because its bigger than a F350.

This thing will do well...lots of folks who want a luxury truck over a luxury car but would not be caught dead in a Escalade or Hummer nor want a gimmick truck like the Raptor. It is not a city car, but there is a LOT of wealth outside city limits in Middle America.

Absolutely, they will sell a ton of these. Stupid money is plentiful. The biggest thing most of these will pull around is going to be a 3000lb bass boat.
A now retired partner of mine had an F450. It had a farm registration and was used to haul a stock trailer to auction.

How do you define a "real" truck?

If I didn't have an airplane, I might buy one of these to tow my travel trailer around. If I had a travel trailer.

because I know what it's getting used for and I don't want to fell like I have to mind the upholstery every time I get in covered in god knows what on a rainy muddy day.

Ford still sells base XL versions of it's trucks if vinyl seats and black rubber floors is what you're looking for.

People spend that much money on a horse.
And the only way they get a heated seat is to ride it bareback...

I'll take a saddle, thank you. Although once I get more confident I might be willing to try bareback.

If you are talking getting into a Volvo/Ferightliner/Semi truck level...I have owned those...they suck to drive and are designed for a commercial application compared to what the 450 has to offer in driver comfort. I have never been in a commercial truck yet that can touch a nice passenger truck in comfort.

That's for sure (reference my Kenworth).

It's probably very nice on the inside, but it's hideous on the outside IMO

104738359-FordSuperDuty-Limited.530x298.jpg

I'm not a fan at all of the new Super Duty styling, either...

Don't worry. It'll be available on the used market in a year or so for less than $50k.

:tongue:

Not likely. Diesels hold their value incredibly well. You look at prices of used pickups that are a few years old and they're so close to new that it doesn't make it worth buying used at all. To get the prices cut in half you end up having to look at close to 10 years old and still over 100k miles.

A coworker of mine bought a 3 year old Ram with 100k miles on it. Similar to mine, Laramie Longhorn instead of Laramie. He got a good deal on it, but only paid $15k less than I did. That's not a lot of difference for 100k miles on it in my opinion.

If the current tax plan goes through, you may see an increase in used vehicle sales for states like Kansas. It will be a huge year over year hit in not being able to deduct the property taxes on new vehicles; whether autos, RVs, boats, or aircraft.

If the current tax plan goes through, you may see an increase in used vehicle sales for states like Kansas. It will be a huge year over year hit in not being able to deduct the property taxes on new vehicles; whether autos, RVs, boats, or aircraft.
what will the people selling their used cars be driving?

One of my best friends' family was really involved with short course trophy truck racing (they got a lot of family money from Real Estate). Nicest people ever. His Grandma, who is in her 80s, and probably less than 5' tall drives an F650. It is hilarious. The license plate says BIG BERTHA (some variation of that since AZ only allows 7 characters max). We used to go to the skate parks in that thing when I was younger and it was awesome. Felt like a King lol.

Still pretty wimpy compared with a medium duty truck like a 4000 series International or a Freightliner M2. If you have 100k to spend and 'towing and hauling' are the excuse, you are going to get more done with one of the medium duty chassis. But you don't buy a platinum trim F450 to tow and haul. You buy it because its bigger than a F350.

Absolutely, they will sell a ton of these. Stupid money is plentiful. The biggest thing most of these will pull around is going to be a 3000lb bass boat.
A now retired partner of mine had an F450. It had a farm registration and was used to haul a stock trailer to auction.

I disagree, I really don't see a ton of guys driving around in jacked-up F-450's with mud tires, at least not yet. People who get the chassis trucks (F-450 and above) usually tow pretty significant weight with it. Lots of really expensive and long horse/stock trailers to shows, race car haulers, 5th wheel campers, multi-car haulers. You don't see them hauling a bunch of stuff (the F-350 dually may actually have a larger payload than F-450, can't remember), but they tow a bunch. I think the F-450 is also the last model before you have to jump up to air brakes, which requires an endorsement. The Freightliner M2 is definitely more truck, but it also drives like a semi tractor, where the F-series still has more civil ride/handling.

Now, for those who don't like the look of the new SD's, I can agree on the non-KR/Platinum models, but I'd take this any day (probably wouldn't want the lift kit though).

dsc_7523_resized.jpg

_dsc0225_resized.jpg

I disagree, I really don't see a ton of guys driving around in jacked-up F-450's with mud tires, at least not yet. People who get the chassis trucks (F-450 and above) usually tow pretty significant weight with it. Lots of really expensive and long horse/stock trailers to shows, race car haulers, 5th wheel campers, multi-car haulers. You don't see them hauling a bunch of stuff (the F-350 dually may actually have a larger payload than F-450, can't remember), but they tow a bunch. I think the F-450 is also the last model before you have to jump up to air brakes, which requires an endorsement. The Freightliner M2 is definitely more truck, but it also drives like a semi tractor, where the F-series still has more civil ride/handling.

Now, for those who don't like the look of the new SD's, I can agree on the non-KR/Platinum models, but I'd take this any day (probably wouldn't want the lift kit though).

View attachment 56709

View attachment 56708

That thing is bad! My favorite color too.

That thing is bad! My favorite color too.

We'll just refer to it as Sooner Crimson. ;) Also, did you notice the second pic was taken outside of an airport? So . . . this thread is now aviation-related.

Last edited:
I have owned a few 100 dollar trucks.

What..?? 100 thousand dollars...???

I bet they don't have the same personality of my 100 dollar truck....

Like the one I had that the right door would not stay closed during a left turn...:lol::lol::lol:

Like the one I had that the right door would not stay closed during a left turn...:lol::lol::lol:

Sounds like a Caprice I once drove, although it was the left door on a right turn. Maybe if we'da put the two together there would've been one vehicle that worked right and another that couldn't keep any doors closed? ;)

When I showed up at work with my nice, shiny new green RAM 2500 extended cab with the Cummins diesel, the first comment our IT department assistant girl said was "who's penis extension?"

And that Ford looks twice the size. Parking options start to become limited.

When I showed up at work with my nice, shiny new green RAM 2500 extended cab with the Cummins diesel, the first comment our IT department assistant girl said was "who's penis extension?"

Lol, I think parking option get slim no matter what dually you buy.

Whose... :D

Another very nice and expensive truck. This truck came to visit us this past spring...

2017 F150 Shelby Cobra Super Snake. 750hp engine and only 150 were built.

IMG_0845.jpg IMG_0846.jpg IMG_0847.jpg IMG_0848.jpg

I have owned a few 100 dollar trucks.

What..?? 100 thousand dollars...???

Had a beater '65 Ford 6 cyl that burned oil like a diesel train. Used to throw used 50 wt airplane oil in it lol.

You just park like all the other dually-holes who center the truck diagonal across two adjacent spots in front of Starbucks.
I often see them taking up four spaces. They straddle the line between two spaces side by side, and two more end to end.

I have to ask...why?

Why buy a stupid large vehicle that takes up 4 spaces? Overcompensating much? Not to mention the impact on the environment from those gas guzzling waste of resource machines...

Ground vehicles get you from point A to point B, hopefully efficiently. Want something fancy, buy a Cirrus and stop wasting your money on inefficient "ground movers".

When I see these things I think "moron", not "cool".

I have to ask...why?

Why buy a stupid large vehicle that takes up 4 spaces? Overcompensating much? Not to mention the impact on the environment from those gas guzzling waste of resource machines...

Ground vehicles get you from point A to point B, hopefully efficiently. Want something fancy, buy a Cirrus and stop wasting your money on inefficient "ground movers".

It has been explained why by a few posters above. Might wanna back up thar and read 'em?

I have to ask...why?

When I hear people make comments like above, I think moron.

Because a Ford or GM or any import tiny speck of a car won't carry two tons of wood pellets that I use to heat my house.

I have a GMC 2500 diesel pickup. It will pull almost anything I want, it will carry all I can get in the bed, and it does it well.

All those efficient point A to point B ground vehicles can barely carry me, much less anything else I need to carry making it a useless vehicle to me.

I seriously doubt a Cirrus will carry two tones of wood pellets and back into my barn to unload.

I have two Subaru's and I pick one to go to church on Sundays, and any other small errands around town.

Back