What is your favorite store bought BBQ sauce?

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
This should not cause any problems. Pretty straight forward subject. :rolleyes:

I'm not big on sauces that have High Fructose Corn Syrup or some other sweetener as the main ingredient. I like Woody's.

51J7B7FQ84L._SY355_.jpg

that's nice....we like that. I also like the Memphis BBQ sauce from Sam's.

and cuts some of the sweet. SBR's is just too sweet for me as is. I used Frank's Hot Sauce to do what you're talking about, but the Sriracha would add a nice dimension of garlicy goodness.

I've been using Stubbs lately. Some batch-batch variation though. Did use KC materpiece but got tired of the sweetness.

Does it count if one of your favorite local BBQ joints also sells their house brand at local stores?

edit:

PS - Stubbs, Sweet Baby Ray's, and 2-3 other local names are generally within arm's reach in my kitchen. And I also have Blues Hog Original and some variety of NC or SC mustard style. I think that's about all I have...this week.

and cuts some of the sweet. SBR's is just too sweet for me as is. I used Frank's Hot Sauce to do what you're talking about, but the Sriracha would add a nice dimension of garlicy goodness.

Last babyback ribs I did I dry rubbed with Byrons Butt Rub, smoked them on the rack for two hours. Pulled them and slathered them with the above 50/50 sauce, put them in a foil tent, then back to the smoker for another 1.5hrs.

Yes, that's off the shelf stuff, but damn, they were really good. I'm ready to do some more!!!

Any of you pit masters ever do something at flyins? 'cause that Dam Flyin is coming up next April, and I'd at the very least consider contributing the meat, the coal, whatever else is required...

Stubbs, and add Tabasco when served.

Dreamland BBQ Sauce from Alabama

John Boy n Billy's BBQ Sauce

Last edited:
Mark, do you like the Alabama white style sauce? First time I tried it was at Big Bob Gibsons, it's interesting.

I do, but only on chicken. IMHO, makes a better dipping sauce for fries.

White sauce ok but I usually ask to change it to the regular tomato base. Wife likes the white which quite a few joints have here too.

Last edited:
Sweet Baby Ray's is probably the best store bought I've tasted. Besides that, there's a local BBQ joint here called Rib n Loin that makes their own sauce. Best I've ever had!

Wife likes Head Country, I prefer Billy Sims here in OK as far as what's available in the grocery stores. Local BBQ restaurant "Smokies Hickory House" sells a few versions of their own which I like a lot and normally keep a bottle around.

Also the thickness of sriracha matches well with most BBQ sauces. I like Franks for wings, but it's much more watery and seems to water down the BBQ sauce.

Heinz makes a variety of regional flavors. My 16YO son is hooked on Memphis. It's good, as is TX and KC, for burgers and pulled pork. I like the Carolina sauce for chicken since it's more of a vinegar base.

We don't use sauces for dipping or topping in our house. I'll cook the meat halfway, then absolutely slather it in sauce to let it finish cooking. Lots of flavor that way. But to tell you the truth, you'd be hard pressed to be able to tell much difference in the sauces when they're cooked in. Just for fun I used a dozen different sauces on some meats earlier this summer and had everyone sample them and tell me which was which. Most people couldn't discern a difference between any of the brands or flavors.

Homemade spicy bbq sauce. I've got a gallon of Joe Horn's bbq sauce in my room, but it hasn't been opened and has been in there for a few years. Supposed to be good.

My favorite used to be the standard Kraft Original sauce before they changed the blend and put molasses in it. Now I actually like to use Heinz 57 when I use a sauce.

I hate sweet sauces.

My favorite used to be the standard Kraft Original sauce before they changed the blend and put molasses in it. Now I actually like to use Heinz 57 when I use a sauce.

I hate sweet sauces.

If one must sweeten a BBQ sauce then molasses>honey>sugar>HFC, I think.

Doesn't Sweet Baby Ray have HFC?

I use Bulls-Eye. Probably pretty plain compared to what the rest of you are talking about.

I use Bulls-Eye. Probably pretty plain compared to what the rest of you are talking about.

Actually, iirc, Bulls Eye has been voted the best commonly available BBQ sauce. I wanna say... America's Test Kitchen? If you have to grab something, and you're not familiar with (or they don't have) any "upscale" sauces, Bulls Eye is good choice.

Around these parts you have quite a few really good BBQ joints and they all sell their sauces in local grocery stores. In a lot of cases, the sauce complements the rub and every place does it different. There's no "right" sauce.

In a lot of cases, the sauce complements the rub and every place does it different. There's no "right" sauce.
Spoken like a true pitmaster. Using the right combination of BBQ sauces, rubs, and different smoking woods are what separates a so-so BBQ joint from a joint that packs them in. Same goes for the competition BBQ'ers. The unique combinations that each pitmaster uses is what separates the champions from the also rans.

Back